Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D200 + 80-200mm f/2.8 + 2x Tele-Converter = ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon D200 + 80-200mm f/2.8 + 2x Tele-Converter = ?

 
 
Bill Crocker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2006
I have a Nikon D200, and a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom. I'm considering
purchasing a 2X Tele-Converter. Will this combination work, and if so, what
tele-converter do you recommend? It appears that Nikon's do not support AF,
but some third party ones do.

Also, would this effectively be equivalent to a 160-400mm f/6?

Thanks,
Bill Crocker


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2006
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:00:41 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Bill Crocker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Nikon D200, and a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom. I'm considering
>purchasing a 2X Tele-Converter. Will this combination work, and if so, what
>tele-converter do you recommend? It appears that Nikon's do not support AF,
>but some third party ones do.


?? TC-20E-II. I use it all the time in combo with the 70-200 f/2.8 VR on a
D70 and D200. You will notice the AF gets noticeably sluggish.

>Also, would this effectively be equivalent to a 160-400mm f/6?


The combo is f/5.6. FWIW, I've found my D200 will AF with the TC-20 mounted
with the 200-400 f/4, or f/8 in total even though Nikon says you need f/5.6
or better.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Crocker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2006

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:00:41 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Bill Crocker"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a Nikon D200, and a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom. I'm considering
>>purchasing a 2X Tele-Converter. Will this combination work, and if so,
>>what
>>tele-converter do you recommend? It appears that Nikon's do not support
>>AF,
>>but some third party ones do.

>
> ?? TC-20E-II. I use it all the time in combo with the 70-200 f/2.8 VR on a
> D70 and D200. You will notice the AF gets noticeably sluggish.
>
>>Also, would this effectively be equivalent to a 160-400mm f/6?

>
> The combo is f/5.6. FWIW, I've found my D200 will AF with the TC-20
> mounted
> with the 200-400 f/4, or f/8 in total even though Nikon says you need
> f/5.6
> or better.
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html


Thanks for your help Ed, it is appreciated! I'll look into the TC-20E-II.

Bill Crocker


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Crocker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:00:41 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Bill Crocker"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a Nikon D200, and a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom. I'm considering
>>purchasing a 2X Tele-Converter. Will this combination work, and if so,
>>what
>>tele-converter do you recommend? It appears that Nikon's do not support
>>AF,
>>but some third party ones do.

>
> ?? TC-20E-II. I use it all the time in combo with the 70-200 f/2.8 VR on a
> D70 and D200. You will notice the AF gets noticeably sluggish.
>
>>Also, would this effectively be equivalent to a 160-400mm f/6?

>
> The combo is f/5.6. FWIW, I've found my D200 will AF with the TC-20
> mounted
> with the 200-400 f/4, or f/8 in total even though Nikon says you need
> f/5.6
> or better.
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html


It doesn't appear it will auto-focus with my AF lens, only AF-S lenses (that
have the motor built-in the lens). The AF lens requires a mechanical
drive-shaft connection to the camera. Some of the third party converters
extend the operation of that shaft.

Bill Crocker


 
Reply With Quote
 
cjcampbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006

Bill Crocker wrote:
> I have a Nikon D200, and a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom. I'm considering
> purchasing a 2X Tele-Converter. Will this combination work, and if so, what
> tele-converter do you recommend? It appears that Nikon's do not support AF,
> but some third party ones do.
>


You are better off with Nikon's 1.7x AF teleconverter. Nevertheless,
TC-20E II 2x teleconverter does support AF on Nikon's digital cameras
and newer SLRs. Nikon specifically recommends this converter for use on
your lens. Many third party teleconverters do not really support AF.
The TC-17E II teleconverter is a much better lens, though. The 2x
converter costs you two stops. The 1.7x converter costs you less than
half a stop. The 1.7x converter also supports VR. It is also a lot more
comfortable to use. Reviewers also say the 1.7x converter costs you
almost nothing in sharpness.

Nikon makes a line of manual focus teleconverters, too. You may have
them confused with the series II AF teleconverters.

> Also, would this effectively be equivalent to a 160-400mm f/6?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Crocker


 
Reply With Quote
 
cjcampbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006

Bill Crocker wrote:
>
> It doesn't appear it will auto-focus with my AF lens, only AF-S lenses (that
> have the motor built-in the lens). The AF lens requires a mechanical
> drive-shaft connection to the camera. Some of the third party converters
> extend the operation of that shaft.


It works only with AF-S and AF-I lenses.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006
On 22 Oct 2006 17:07:48 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "cjcampbell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You are better off with Nikon's 1.7x AF teleconverter. Nevertheless,
>TC-20E II 2x teleconverter does support AF on Nikon's digital cameras
>and newer SLRs. Nikon specifically recommends this converter for use on
>your lens. Many third party teleconverters do not really support AF.
>The TC-17E II teleconverter is a much better lens, though. The 2x
>converter costs you two stops. The 1.7x converter costs you less than
>half a stop.


Half a stop? Not quite, from
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2151
"Minimal effect on f-number of 1.5 stops"

>The 1.7x converter also supports VR. It is also a lot more
>comfortable to use. Reviewers also say the 1.7x converter costs you
>almost nothing in sharpness.


So does the TC-20E-II. This isn't an either or situation. The difference is
an additional half a stop for the additional magnification. Some might
complain on the loss of sharpness, but on the 70-200 f/2.8 images are still
quite sharp in my experience.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

>> The 1.7x converter also supports VR. It is also a lot more
>> comfortable to use. Reviewers also say the 1.7x converter costs you
>> almost nothing in sharpness.

>
> So does the TC-20E-II. This isn't an either or situation. The
> difference is an additional half a stop for the additional
> magnification. Some might complain on the loss of sharpness, but on
> the 70-200 f/2.8 images are still quite sharp in my experience.


I agree that the extra magnification is well worth getting the TC-20 II. A
while back, I did some experiments with the 70-200 and TC-20E II using
tripod mount and mirror lock-up. My findings are that the TC only added a
slight bit of softness, which is more than acceptable for the price point
and convenience of adding a 2x TC in the mix. Most "softness" issues people
have when using TCs is they neglect to use proper and good technique. Your
shooting at an effective focal length of 600mm with this combo, use proper
technique and you will be very pleased with the results.







Rita

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:02:20 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Bill
Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It doesn't appear it will auto-focus with my AF lens, only AF-S lenses (that
>have the motor built-in the lens). The AF lens requires a mechanical
>drive-shaft connection to the camera. Some of the third party converters
>extend the operation of that shaft.


At that point yes, you need to look elsewhere. I believe the Kenko Pro
ones might be appropriate, but don't quote me on that.
-
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
http://EdwardGRuf.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Crocker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
>
>>> The 1.7x converter also supports VR. It is also a lot more
>>> comfortable to use. Reviewers also say the 1.7x converter costs you
>>> almost nothing in sharpness.

>>
>> So does the TC-20E-II. This isn't an either or situation. The
>> difference is an additional half a stop for the additional
>> magnification. Some might complain on the loss of sharpness, but on
>> the 70-200 f/2.8 images are still quite sharp in my experience.

>
> I agree that the extra magnification is well worth getting the TC-20 II.
> A while back, I did some experiments with the 70-200 and TC-20E II using
> tripod mount and mirror lock-up. My findings are that the TC only added a
> slight bit of softness, which is more than acceptable for the price point
> and convenience of adding a 2x TC in the mix. Most "softness" issues
> people have when using TCs is they neglect to use proper and good
> technique. Your shooting at an effective focal length of 600mm with this
> combo, use proper technique and you will be very pleased with the results.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Rita
>


Thanks everyone!

I may have solved my needs by another method. Last night I snagged a Nikon
300mm AF-S f/4 off eBay, in excellent condition, from a reputable seller.

Bill Crocker


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D80 Vs Nikon D200 guidezone@gmail.com Digital Photography 1 10-06-2007 03:47 PM
Nikon D80 vs Nikon D200 davek57 Digital Photography 24 06-25-2007 06:55 AM
nikon d200 vs d70 and photoshop vs nikon capture Larry Digital Photography 8 06-23-2006 12:58 PM
Nikon's D200 posted, and removed... D200, $1699 how about that... ThomasH Digital Photography 33 11-02-2005 12:04 PM
Nikon D200 When? GTO Digital Photography 18 12-03-2004 08:38 AM



Advertisments