Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

jeff

My previous post was a bit unclear; I'll try and clarify the issue:

I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 on Ebay for $40, described as
"in new condition." I received it today and it is in fact in pristine
shape with all documentation, cables, CD and memory stick. This
afternoon I attempted to set it up and take some sample pics. The
problem is that you can't properly insert the memory stick. There's
no "click." I tried pushing it in place with the power on until the
stick is recognized and then closing the cover, but the recognition is
lost; the camera can't read the card - "NO MEMORY STICK." I
played with it a few times and once I was able to push the card into
the camera where it successfully recognized the card, and I was able
to take a few pictures. But that only worked once.

I'm not very concerned about the possibility of having gotten ripped
off for $40. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback and I'm
confident he'll agree to a refund, however, I'd like to keep the
camera instead, if i can get it to work properly. I like the camera.
It was intended as a gift for my young daughter. It's ruggedly
constructed and easy enough to operate for an eight year old.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
generally speaking?

TIA,
Jeff

Dennis Pogson

jeff wrote:
> My previous post was a bit unclear; I'll try and clarify the issue:
>
> I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 on Ebay for $40, described as
> "in new condition." I received it today and it is in fact in pristine
> shape with all documentation, cables, CD and memory stick. This
> afternoon I attempted to set it up and take some sample pics. The
> problem is that you can't properly insert the memory stick. There's
> no "click." I tried pushing it in place with the power on until the
> stick is recognized and then closing the cover, but the recognition is
> lost; the camera can't read the card - "NO MEMORY STICK." I
> played with it a few times and once I was able to push the card into
> the camera where it successfully recognized the card, and I was able
> to take a few pictures. But that only worked once.
>
> I'm not very concerned about the possibility of having gotten ripped
> off for $40. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback and I'm
> confident he'll agree to a refund, however, I'd like to keep the
> camera instead, if i can get it to work properly. I like the camera.
> It was intended as a gift for my young daughter. It's ruggedly
> constructed and easy enough to operate for an eight year old.
>
> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
> generally speaking?
>
> TIA,
> Jeff

Could you not wedge a small piece of foam rubber between the flap and the
top of the memory? The flap would then hold the memory in place.

EF in FLA

> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
> generally speaking?

It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
probably end up regretting it.

ef

Jack Mac

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:36:39 GMT, "EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
>> generally speaking?
>>

>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
>probably end up regretting it.
>
>ef

You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.

Jack Mac

jeff

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:36:39 GMT, "EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
>>> generally speaking?
>>>

>>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
>>probably end up regretting it.
>>
>>ef
>>

>You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
>The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
>
>Jack Mac

I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

jeff

realistically, a 64MB memory card rather....

Bill Funk

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:12:42 -0400, jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>realistically, a 64MB memory card rather....

eBay.
I see on the first page prices under $4 w/$4 shipping.
How cheap do you want?
No friends with Sony cameras? How about a local camera club, or local
computer user group?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

John Turco

jeff wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
> >>probably end up regretting it.
> >>
> >>ef
> >>

> >You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
> >The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
> >
> >Jack Mac

> I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
> fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
> product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
> different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
> Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
> just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

Hello, Jeff:

Buy a Memory Stick, locally, and save the receipt. If it doesn't work in
your Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30, simply return it, for a refund.

As to the camera, itself, just get your money back, if it still refuses
to behave. There are plenty of cheap, similar models, on eBay.

Be sure to find one that >doesn't< take proprietary memory cards (e.g.,
Memory Stick), next time; choose SD, instead, as it's the most common
type, by far, nowadays.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

jeff

On 24 Oct 2006 03:06:12 EDT, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>jeff wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
>> >The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
>> >
>> >Jack Mac

>> I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
>> fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
>> product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
>> different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
>> Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
>> just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

>Hello, Jeff:
>
>Buy a Memory Stick, locally, and save the receipt. If it doesn't work in
>your Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30, simply return it, for a refund.
>
>As to the camera, itself, just get your money back, if it still refuses
>to behave. There are plenty of cheap, similar models, on eBay.
>
>Be sure to find one that >doesn't< take proprietary memory cards (e.g.,
>Memory Stick), next time; choose SD, instead, as it's the most common
>type, by far, nowadays.
>
>Good luck and happy hunting!
>

>Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

That's exactly what I had intended on doing, however "Memory Stick
Pro" is what's available in local stores, not "Memory Stick." It's
not compatitble with this older camera. Anyway I ordered a "Memory
Stick" for a few dollars on Ebay. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.
It is an excellent suggestion. The Ebay seller who sold me the camera
already committed to a full refund.

Thanks for all of your responses... it really helped. If the camera
ends up working with a new Memory Stick, which is my hope, I'll let
you know.

Jeff

jeff

The camera works fine; it WAS the memory stick. I received a
replacement in the mail today and it works. Removed it, put it in
again, and it worked. I appreciate the advice and suggestions from
the group.

Thanks,
Jeff