Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > get me NiMh out of here

get me NiMh out of here

Mr.Bolshoyhuy

NiMh are evil!

My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
They did feel hot after charging.
I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
It doesnt shut off when done.
Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/appli...u=C392-DPS1800

I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

AustinMN

Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
> NiMh are evil!
>
> My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
> One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
> Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
> They did feel hot after charging.
> I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.

Ah, ther is your problem. A $10 charger (assuming U.S. $) is junk.
Get a good one; they don't cost much more. If you use 4 HiMH
batteries, and cycle them about 5 times, you'll break even. I've never
had less than 20 cycles (and that was with a $10 charger).

> It doesnt shut off when done.

Yup, charger is the culprit.

> I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
> Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.

Get a better charger.

> I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
> I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
> a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
> charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

> C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

A) Get another charger. Accept that the NiMH batteries you have left
have been damaged permanently by your cheap charger. Recycle them. DO
NOT TRASH THEM.

Austin

ASAAR

On 21 Oct 2006 17:01:19 -0700, Mr.Bolshoyhuy who has a history of
trollish behavior wrote:

> NiMh are evil!
>
> My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
> One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
> Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
> They did feel hot after charging.
> I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
> It doesnt shut off when done.
> Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
> http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/appli...u=C392-DPS1800

What did you expect? Getting the best bargain from the internet
is always risky, and bad things have happened from cheap Li-Ion
batteries too. You've been in this newsgroup long enough to have
seen dozens of threads warning about using that type of charger.
But it may not even be the charger's fault. It could be the
batteries that were the problem. If you wanted to get the worst,
most dangerous, seriously crappy batteries, how would you go about
it? You can tell us, since that's exactly what you did. You have
only yourself to blame.

> I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
> Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
> I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
> I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
> a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
> charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

That's a clear indication that something was wrong with the
battery or the charger. If you read any of the dozens (more likely
hundreds) of battery related messages here, you'd have seen that
NiMH batteries almost always provide twice the life of alkaline
batteries in modern digital cameras. In older cameras they can last
more than 4 or 5 times longer. That you got only the same life as
alkalines provide simply shows that you got what you deserve. You
really do need to get a new camera that uses Li-Ion battery packs,
but I'm fully confident that you'll find a way to screw them up too.

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Mr.Bolshoyhuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> NiMh are evil!

No, I don't think that NiMH batteries are not evil, there just seems to be a
problem with some "dumb" chargers that are too slow (taking days to fully
charge higher-capacity batteries) or rapid chargers that are too fast
(resulting in overheating or overcharging the batteries).

> My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
> One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.

There are plastic battery carrying cases available, and that's probably
better
than carrying batteries a plastic bag. I've seen battery cases that hold 2
batteries at a time as well as cases that hold 4 batteries at a time.

To me, it seems that carrying batteries loosely in a plastic bag is almost
as risky as carrying them loosely in a pocket.

> Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
> They did feel hot after charging.

Some fast chargers do make the batteries hot after charging, and it's best
to let them cool down a bit before putting them in a battery carrying case
or in the camera.

> I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
> It doesnt shut off when done.

Most chargers should drop down to a trickle charge, even if they don't turn
fully off after charging is complete.

> Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).

http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/appli...u=C392-DPS1800

I use two different battery chargers...

Rayovac One Hour Charger model PS4
XG Charge Pro model CHB-7NSS

....with Lenmar AA 2000 mAh, UltraLast AA 2000 mAh, XG AA 2500 mAh, Energizer
AAA 700 mAh, XG AAA 800 mAh, and Lenmar AAA 850 mAh NiMH batteries--none of
those have ever leaked or exploded during or after charging.

> I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
> Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.

NiMH do self-discharge after a while, so are the replacement batteries fully
charged?

Also, if the camera shuts off several times with fully charged replacement
batteries, that would seem to be a camera firmware defect, rather than a
battery defect. Some cameras may also require setting the battery type to
NiMH in the Setup menu, so check this against the cameras manual.

Finally, if nothing else shows up as flawed, check the battery design
itself. Some cameras specifically warn against using batteries with a
completely flat negative battery terminal design.

> I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
> I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
> a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
> charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

> C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

Defintely get another charger, and also get some battery carrying cases for
the batteries.

Pete D

What camera by the way. I am using NiMh batteries in my Pentax Ds and they
are giving me great service.

"Mr.Bolshoyhuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> NiMh are evil!
>
> My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
> One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
> Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
> They did feel hot after charging.
> I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
> It doesnt shut off when done.
> Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
> http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/appli...u=C392-DPS1800
>
> I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
> Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
> I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
> I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
> a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
> charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

> C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

Dave Cohen

Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
> NiMh are evil!
>
> My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
> One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
> Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
> They did feel hot after charging.
> I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
> It doesnt shut off when done.
> Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
> http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/appli...u=C392-DPS1800
>
> I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
> Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
> I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
> I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
> a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
> charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

> C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge. The charge rate is low
and won't hurt the batteries. Either this particular charger or battery
was defective, most likely the battery.
2. Lots of people are using NiMH, they are great when used up fairly
quickly (less than a month in the camera). With later cameras used
intermittently it might make sense to use alkalines. Quoted discharge
rates for MiMH are from 1% - 5% per day. This would imply you would see
75% to as low as 25% of initial capacity after a month of non use. The
new eneloops by Sanyo might solve this problem.
Dave Cohen

Paul Rubin

Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> 1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
> don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge.

What makes you think this was an overnight charger?

ASAAR

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:59:11 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

> 2. Lots of people are using NiMH, they are great when used up fairly
> quickly (less than a month in the camera). With later cameras used
> intermittently it might make sense to use alkalines. Quoted discharge
> rates for MiMH are from 1% - 5% per day. This would imply you would see
> 75% to as low as 25% of initial capacity after a month of non use. The
> new eneloops by Sanyo might solve this problem.

They will if the recent full page Eneloop ad I saw is accurate.
It claimed that a year after being charged, they can retain 85% of
their initial charge. That's much better (for several reasons) than
Li-Ion batteries can do. On the other hand, if the camera is used
so little that many months go by between charges, alkalines would
probably be more cost effective.

Pete D

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> 1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
>> don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge.

> What makes you think this was an overnight charger?

Because he gave a link to an overnight charger that was the same type of
charger as the one he was using.

Mike Fields

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
>> NiMh are evil!
>>
>> My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
>> One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
>> Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
>> They did feel hot after charging.
>> I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
>> It doesnt shut off when done.
>> Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
>> http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/appli...u=C392-DPS1800
>>
>> I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
>> Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
>> I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
>> I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
>> a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
>> charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

>> C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium
>>

> 1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
> don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge. The charge rate is
> low and won't hurt the batteries. Either this particular charger or
> battery was defective, most likely the battery.
> 2. Lots of people are using NiMH, they are great when used up fairly
> quickly (less than a month in the camera). With later cameras used
> intermittently it might make sense to use alkalines. Quoted discharge
> rates for MiMH are from 1% - 5% per day. This would imply you would
> see 75% to as low as 25% of initial capacity after a month of non use.
> The new eneloops by Sanyo might solve this problem.
> Dave Cohen

A decent charger (like the Maha 401 or others)
and a decent set of NiMH batteries generally
works very well. Depending on the camera, you
may need to use NiMH -- they have a much lower
internal resistance as they discharge than the regular
alkaline do. On cameras that do not use much
current, a 1500mah alkaline will work just as well
as a 1500 mah NiMH. On the other hand, a camera
like my Minolta 7Hi which pulls close to 2 amps at
peak, is good for about 20 shots on new alkaline, but
will go for several hundred on NiMH with the same
"capacity". NiMH are not good for something that
only pulls 10 ma and you expect to hold a charge for
6 months. But for high current, NiMH, NiCd etc
are much better. But do spend the extra couple
of $ to get a decent microprocessor based charger
and good batteries.

mikey