Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's the difference between a sd card and a memory stick?

What's the difference between a sd card and a memory stick?

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com

Please forgive the newbie question. My camera has a slot for a sd card
which i use and a memory stick. What is the memory stick used for? Is
it essentially the same as a sd card, just a different format? Thanks.

m Ransley

Sonys own card is memory stick and only sony uses it. A good reason many
did not buy sony was they only took stick.

m Ransley wrote:
> Sonys own card is memory stick and only sony uses it. A good reason many
> did not buy sony was they only took stick.

My question was do they serve the same purpose. I could use a memory
stick instead of the sd card and take pictures? My Minolta Dimage 500
has a slot for sd, mmi, and memory stick. Thanks.

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Please forgive the newbie question. My camera has a slot for a sd card
> which i use and a memory stick. What is the memory stick used for? Is
> it essentially the same as a sd card, just a different format? Thanks.

Memory sticks are Sony's own 'solution' to memory media. There are now
at least 3 types of stick, all essentially incompatible with each other.
- Heaven forbid you should use the same stick in your camera and your
VAIO, they've got their bottom line to think of.

Stick with the SD cards a forget about memory sticks.

Jan Nademlejnsky

They both serve the same purpose. The only difference is that the memory
stick made by Sony is bigger (dimensions) and cost much more than SD card.

Use SD only and you will be happy.
Jan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in mssage
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> m Ransley wrote:
>> Sonys own card is memory stick and only sony uses it. A good reason many
>> did not buy sony was they only took stick.

> My question was do they serve the same purpose. I could use a memory
> stick instead of the sd card and take pictures? My Minolta Dimage 500
> has a slot for sd, mmi, and memory stick. Thanks.

Ed Mullikin

My Sony allows the use of both a compact flash and a memory stick. A switch
allows the operator to decide which to use so I presume that is the case in
the original question; just a different camera.

"Stewy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Please forgive the newbie question. My camera has a slot for a sd card
>> which i use and a memory stick. What is the memory stick used for? Is
>> it essentially the same as a sd card, just a different format? Thanks.

> Memory sticks are Sony's own 'solution' to memory media. There are now
> at least 3 types of stick, all essentially incompatible with each other.
> - Heaven forbid you should use the same stick in your camera and your
> VAIO, they've got their bottom line to think of.
>
> Stick with the SD cards a forget about memory sticks.

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com

That's what i needed to know. Thanks.
Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:
> They both serve the same purpose. The only difference is that the memory
> stick made by Sony is bigger (dimensions) and cost much more than SD card.
>
> Use SD only and you will be happy.
> Jan
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in mssage
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > m Ransley wrote:
> >> Sonys own card is memory stick and only sony uses it. A good reason many
> >> did not buy sony was they only took stick.

> > My question was do they serve the same purpose. I could use a memory
> > stick instead of the sd card and take pictures? My Minolta Dimage 500
> > has a slot for sd, mmi, and memory stick. Thanks.

Bob Williams

> Please forgive the newbie question. My camera has a slot for a sd card
> which i use and a memory stick. What is the memory stick used for? Is
> it essentially the same as a sd card, just a different format? Thanks.

The main difference between SD and MS is about $10/GB.
Bob Williams