Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How Do I Reduce Pixel Count

How Do I Reduce Pixel Count

chaser

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:yjw_g.3120$k63.1482@trndny06:

> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
> How can
> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of
> a rug.
> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I
> don't use it
> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
> enter a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card
> then threw out
> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to
> enable some features in the Olympus software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Powertoys from Microsoft is a good one. Highlite in an Explorer window/
right clik and resize. As many as you want, to any size you want. Resize
the original or make a copy.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

--
JP

"No one can tell me where my soul might be;
I searched for God, but he eluded me;
I sought my brother and found all three."

-Ernest Howard Crosby

Mike

"JohnR66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SHy_g.326889$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mike wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
>>> How
>>> can
>>> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
>>> rug.
>>> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
>>> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
>>> use
>>> it
>>> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
>>> enter
>>> a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
>>> threw
>>> out
>>> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
>>> some features in the Olympus software.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike

>> You need something like Irfanview, which you can download free and
>> which is pretty much intuitive. When you make changes to an image such
>> as this the best thing is to make the changes and save as a different
>> file, then you're not losing the image in case you're unhappy with the
>> results. If you don't need a massive size but still want reasonable
>> quality then try the resizing options.
>>
>> http://www.irfanview.com/
>>

>> --
>> Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
>> Stop and Look
>> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> I'll second that. I just reduced some 600-some KB images down to 150K for
> email. OP should be careful of the settings so the originals are not over
> written by mistake!
> John

Thanks will do.

Mike

"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bRx_g.28384$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
>> How can
>> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
>> rug.
>> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
>> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
>> use it
>> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
>> enter
>> a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
>> threw out
>> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
>> some features in the Olympus software.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Hi.
>
> If you are running Win XP, it can do the resizing semi automatically for
> you.
>
> Just select image or images in their folder and click on "Email this File"
> in the Left Hand Pane.
>
> You will get a dialogue box which allows you to select a couple of reduced
> sizes.

Great, I'm using Outlook Express to send/receive email.

Mike

"chaser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns986442A55C5DEjoeponkeycom@216.196.97.142.. .
> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:yjw_g.3120$k63.1482@trndny06:
>
>> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
>> How can
>> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of
>> a rug.
>> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
>> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I
>> don't use it
>> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
>> enter a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card
>> then threw out
>> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to
>> enable some features in the Olympus software.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Powertoys from Microsoft is a good one. Highlite in an Explorer window/
> right clik and resize. As many as you want, to any size you want. Resize
> the original or make a copy.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Cool, I'll d/l it.

Roy G

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roy G wrote:
>>
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
>> > How
>> > can
>> > I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of
>> > rug.
>> > I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
>> > Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
>> > use it
>> > because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
>> > enter
>> > a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
>> > threw out
>> > the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to
>> > enable
>> > some features in the Olympus software.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >

>> Hi.
>>
>> If you are running Win XP, it can do the resizing semi automatically for
>> you.
>>
>> Just select image or images in their folder and click on "Email this
>> File"
>> in the Left Hand Pane.
>>
>> You will get a dialogue box which allows you to select a couple of
>> reduced
>> sizes.
>>
>> Roy G

> heh you learn something new every day, thanks Roy. I guess it uses OE
> to send though?
> --
> Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)

Hi Paul.

Don't think so, it sends mine via MS Outlook, which is my default Email
program.

Roy G

Paul Heslop

Roy G wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Roy G wrote:
> >>
> >> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> If you are running Win XP, it can do the resizing semi automatically for
> >> you.
> >>
> >> Just select image or images in their folder and click on "Email this
> >> File"
> >> in the Left Hand Pane.
> >>
> >> You will get a dialogue box which allows you to select a couple of
> >> reduced
> >> sizes.
> >>
> >> Roy G

> > heh you learn something new every day, thanks Roy. I guess it uses OE
> > to send though?
> > --
> > Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)

> Hi Paul.
>
> Don't think so, it sends mine via MS Outlook, which is my default Email
> program.
>
> Roy G

ah, my default is netscape (old) but windows doesn't let me set it for
all applications I would like. I don't use outlook either. Oh yeah,
forgot to mention I also installed that windows resizer which lets you
right click any image and resize.

It's on this page

chaser wrote:

> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:yjw_g.3120$k63.1482@trndny06:
>
> > Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
> > How can
> > I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of
> > a rug.
> > I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> > Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I
> > don't use it
> > because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
> > enter a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card
> > then threw out
> > the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to
> > enable some features in the Olympus software.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Powertoys from Microsoft is a good one. Highlite in an Explorer window/
> right clik and resize. As many as you want, to any size you want. Resize
> the original or make a copy.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>
> --
> JP

heh, wish I'd read this before I posted it again :O)

Mike wrote:

> "chaser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns986442A55C5DEjoeponkeycom@216.196.97.142.. .
> > "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:yjw_g.3120$k63.1482@trndny06:
> >
> >> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
> >> How can
> >> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of
> >> a rug.
> >> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> >> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I
> >> don't use it
> >> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
> >> enter a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card
> >> then threw out
> >> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to
> >> enable some features in the Olympus software.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Mike
> >>

> > Powertoys from Microsoft is a good one. Highlite in an Explorer window/
> > right clik and resize. As many as you want, to any size you want. Resize
> > the original or make a copy.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

> Cool, I'll d/l it.

It's still good to have something like Irfanview anyway as it can do
other processes and you can sharpen image if resizing makes them look
soft etc.
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Bill K

Roy G wrote:
> > Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each. How
> > can
> > I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
> > rug.
> > I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> > Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
> > use it
> > because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
> > enter
> > a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
> > threw out
> > the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
> > some features in the Olympus software.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Hi.
>
> If you are running Win XP, it can do the resizing semi automatically for
> you.
>
> Just select image or images in their folder and click on "Email this File"
> in the Left Hand Pane.
>
> You will get a dialogue box which allows you to select a couple of reduced
> sizes.
>
> Roy G

I didn't know that. You learn something every day. Thanks, Roy. I need
to get my nose out of Photoshop. But, then, I spent all that money for
it.
--
Gator Bait

Mike

"Dan Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Download picasa2 (it's free and easier to use than OM software) and
> email from there. You can reduce the size of the files in the email
> process.
>
> And picasa2 is great for correcting, fixing and tuning your picts, too.
>
> Also special effects.

I'm very impressed w/ Picasa2. Really like the "I'm feeling lucy" and "auto
contrast" features.