Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How Do I Reduce Pixel Count

How Do I Reduce Pixel Count

Mike

Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each. How
can
I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
rug.
I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't use
it
because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I enter
a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then threw
out
the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
some features in the Olympus software.

Thanks,

Mike

Paul Heslop

Mike wrote:

> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each. How
> can
> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
> rug.
> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't use
> it
> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I enter
> a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then threw
> out
> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
> some features in the Olympus software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

You need something like Irfanview, which you can download free and
which is pretty much intuitive. When you make changes to an image such
as this the best thing is to make the changes and save as a different
file, then you're not losing the image in case you're unhappy with the
results. If you don't need a massive size but still want reasonable
quality then try the resizing options.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Dan Sullivan

Mike wrote:
> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each. How
> can
> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
> rug.
> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't use
> it
> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I enter
> a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then threw
> out
> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
> some features in the Olympus software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Download picasa2 (it's free and easier to use than OM software) and
email from there. You can reduce the size of the files in the email
process.

And picasa2 is great for correcting, fixing and tuning your picts, too.

Also special effects.

jpc

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:30:06 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each. How
>can
>I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
>rug.
>I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
>Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't use
>it
>because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I enter
>a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then threw
>out
>the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
>some features in the Olympus software.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

www.irfanview.com/

free and intuitive

jpc

Mike

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You need something like Irfanview, which you can download free and
> which is pretty much intuitive. When you make changes to an image such
> as this the best thing is to make the changes and save as a different
> file, then you're not losing the image in case you're unhappy with the
> results. If you don't need a massive size but still want reasonable
> quality then try the resizing options.
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>

> --
> Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Thanks, I've used that before but couldn't remember thge name.
Very nice website. Which camera did you use to take the photos?

Mike

Paul Heslop

Mike wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > You need something like Irfanview, which you can download free and
> > which is pretty much intuitive. When you make changes to an image such
> > as this the best thing is to make the changes and save as a different
> > file, then you're not losing the image in case you're unhappy with the
> > results. If you don't need a massive size but still want reasonable
> > quality then try the resizing options.
> >
> > http://www.irfanview.com/
> >

> > --
> > Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
> > Stop and Look
> > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> Thanks, I've used that before but couldn't remember thge name.
> Very nice website. Which camera did you use to take the photos?
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike... my camera on most of those was my old Olympus
c-220zoom, though a couple are from my incredibly dodgy c-725 SZ.

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Roy G

> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each. How
> can
> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
> rug.
> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
> use it
> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
> enter
> a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
> threw out
> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
> some features in the Olympus software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Hi.

If you are running Win XP, it can do the resizing semi automatically for
you.

Just select image or images in their folder and click on "Email this File"
in the Left Hand Pane.

You will get a dialogue box which allows you to select a couple of reduced
sizes.

Roy G

Paul Heslop

Roy G wrote:

> > Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each. How
> > can
> > I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
> > rug.
> > I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> > Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
> > use it
> > because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
> > enter
> > a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
> > threw out
> > the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
> > some features in the Olympus software.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Hi.
>
> If you are running Win XP, it can do the resizing semi automatically for
> you.
>
> Just select image or images in their folder and click on "Email this File"
> in the Left Hand Pane.
>
> You will get a dialogue box which allows you to select a couple of reduced
> sizes.
>
> Roy G

heh you learn something new every day, thanks Roy. I guess it uses OE
to send though?
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

JohnR66

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
>> How
>> can
>> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
>> rug.
>> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
>> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
>> use
>> it
>> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
>> enter
>> a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
>> threw
>> out
>> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
>> some features in the Olympus software.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike

> You need something like Irfanview, which you can download free and
> which is pretty much intuitive. When you make changes to an image such
> as this the best thing is to make the changes and save as a different
> file, then you're not losing the image in case you're unhappy with the
> results. If you don't need a massive size but still want reasonable
> quality then try the resizing options.
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>

> --
> Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

I'll second that. I just reduced some 600-some KB images down to 150K for
email. OP should be careful of the settings so the originals are not over
written by mistake!
John

Paul Heslop

JohnR66 wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mike wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, I want to email somepictures but they are slightly over 5MB each.
> >> How
> >> can
> >> I reduce to siz and maintain picture integerity? They are pictures of a
> >> rug.
> >> I don't own any photo editing software. Ooops, I do own Olympus
> >> Master v1.42 photo editing that came with my Olympus C-7000 but I don't
> >> use
> >> it
> >> because it';s not intutive and some features aren't available unless I
> >> enter
> >> a code from a xD card package. I bought a 1MB hi speed xD card then
> >> threw
> >> out
> >> the packaging. Turns out I need a # number from the packaging to enable
> >> some features in the Olympus software.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Mike

> > You need something like Irfanview, which you can download free and
> > which is pretty much intuitive. When you make changes to an image such
> > as this the best thing is to make the changes and save as a different
> > file, then you're not losing the image in case you're unhappy with the
> > results. If you don't need a massive size but still want reasonable
> > quality then try the resizing options.
> >
> > http://www.irfanview.com/
> >

> > --
> > Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
> > Stop and Look
> > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> I'll second that. I just reduced some 600-some KB images down to 150K for
> email. OP should be careful of the settings so the originals are not over
> written by mistake!
> John

Yeah, I know when I first started messing with images I was always
doing that.