Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dual Monitor Setup?

Dual Monitor Setup?

HI,

As part of putting together my new system, as someone here suggested to me,
I am looking at doing a dual monitor setup. I am planing on getting a
19inch high quality lcd. I have a 19inch crt that I though about also
hooking up. One card I was looking at is called the Crucial Radeon X1600.
Are there any other cards that I should consider, a more basic card perhaps?
I head that I have to get a larger power supply in my system for the Crucial
Radeon X1600. I would like to find a card that doesnt require me to get a
larger more expensive power supply as well if possiable.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jd

Bob Williams

j wrote:
> HI,
>
> As part of putting together my new system, as someone here suggested to me,
> I am looking at doing a dual monitor setup. I am planing on getting a
> 19inch high quality lcd. I have a 19inch crt that I though about also
> hooking up. One card I was looking at is called the Crucial Radeon X1600.
> Are there any other cards that I should consider, a more basic card perhaps?
> I head that I have to get a larger power supply in my system for the Crucial
> Radeon X1600. I would like to find a card that doesnt require me to get a
> larger more expensive power supply as well if possiable.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Jd

Unless you want to play 3D games at scorching speed, the MATROX line of
Dual Head graphics cards is just what you need. Wonderful for 2D
applications such as Photoshop or other photo editing purposes.
Check their site for the best bang for the buck.
Bob Williams

Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that j claimed:

> As part of putting together my new system, as someone here suggested to me,
> I am looking at doing a dual monitor setup. I am planing on getting a
> 19inch high quality lcd. I have a 19inch crt that I though about also
> hooking up. One card I was looking at is called the Crucial Radeon X1600.
> Are there any other cards that I should consider, a more basic card perhaps?
> I head that I have to get a larger power supply in my system for the Crucial
> Radeon X1600. I would like to find a card that doesnt require me to get a
> larger more expensive power supply as well if possiable.

I like nVidia cards. My current machine has an nVidia GeForce 7300 GS,
which is a dual head card, one DVI and one analog, and 256M of RAM. I
got this card because I was looking at the probability that I'd be
upgrading this computer to Vista and I wanted as much of the upspec
hardware as possible first.

It drives an analog NEC Multisync LCD and a digital ViewSonic LCD.

I'd recommend that you use two LCD monitors rather than a CRT and LCD
mix. No technical reason, it's for convenience and aesthetics. This
way, you can also get a dual-monitor stand like this one:
<http://www.ergotron.com/ConsumerProducts/MultimonitorMounts/tabid/155/ctl/Product/mid/541/PRDID/3/Default.aspx>
(which I have). (It's cheaper at Amazon and Newegg.)

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #169.
If I have massive computer systems, I will take at least as many
precautions as a small business and include things such as virus-scans
and firewalls.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> I'd recommend that you use two LCD monitors rather than a CRT and LCD
> mix. No technical reason, it's for convenience and aesthetics. This
> way, you can also get a dual-monitor stand like this one:
> <http://www.ergotron.com/ConsumerProducts/MultimonitorMounts/tabid/155/ctl/Product/mid/541/PRDID/3/Default.aspx>
> (which I have). (It's cheaper at Amazon and Newegg.)

Using LCD monitors, even high-end ones really aren't the best choice for
digital image editing. Granted LCD monitors have come a long way and even
after careful calibration simply can't meet the color accuracy of a
Trinitron flat screen CRT. His best choice, if he were serious about his
photography, would be to get two 19" flat CRT Trinitrons. It's foolish to
sacrifice image quality for aesthetics and desk space.

Rita

Ken Davey

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
>
>> I'd recommend that you use two LCD monitors rather than a CRT and LCD
>> mix. No technical reason, it's for convenience and aesthetics. This
>> way, you can also get a dual-monitor stand like this one:
>> <http://www.ergotron.com/ConsumerProducts/MultimonitorMounts/tabid/155/ctl/Product/mid/541/PRDID/3/Default.aspx>
>> (which I have). (It's cheaper at Amazon and Newegg.)

> Using LCD monitors, even high-end ones really aren't the best choice
> for digital image editing. Granted LCD monitors have come a long way and
> even after careful calibration simply can't meet the color accuracy of a
> Trinitron flat screen CRT. His best choice, if he were serious about
> his photography, would be to get two 19" flat CRT Trinitrons. It's
> foolish to sacrifice image quality for aesthetics and desk space.
>

> Rita

I have a 34 inch HDTV and would love to be able to use it as a monitor while
(among other things) editing digital photos. What sort of interface (card?)
would be needed to accomplish this?
Recommended type/brand?

Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...9-D37D5B25B569

My return address is courtesy of Spammotel http://www.spammotel.com/

John Turco

Ken Davey wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> I have a 34 inch HDTV and would love to be able to use it as a monitor while
> (among other things) editing digital photos. What sort of interface (card?)
> would be needed to accomplish this?
> Recommended type/brand?
>
> Ken.
> --
> Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
> http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...9-D37D5B25B569
>
> My return address is courtesy of Spammotel http://www.spammotel.com/

Hello, Ken:

My Sanyo HT30744 (30" wide-screen CRT HDTV television set) features
a HDMI jack. There's a way to hook it to a video card's digital
connector (such as that, on my ATI "All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV"),
using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, but I've never tried it.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>