Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D1x vs D200

Nikon D1x vs D200

Philip Homburg

In article <1161427945.189814@ftpsrv1>, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Philip Homburg wrote:
>> I don't know. In general I have had no problems with 2nd hand professional
>> Nikon cameras. They continue to work just fine.
> >

>But I'd still recommend checking shutter actuation and / or getting them
>independently checked. They will be very expensive to fix, and they
>won't last forever.

Fortunately it easy to check a shutter with a digital camera. I have to
admit that I have no idea how to tell if a shutter is likely to fail in
the near future.

>> Personally, I use just 'professional' lenses. Usually the quality difference
>> is well worth the price.
>>

>Nice if you can afford it.

It is mainly that I have been collecting them for quite some time (so the
cost is spread out over many years) and I don't have the latest greatest.
In fact all my lenses, except one are manual focus. And of that one lens
(the 17-35) something in autofocus system is broken, so I got a nice
additional discount

Philip Homburg

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I wouldn't call the 18-200 a pro lens either.

I would not call it professional either.

>The best copy of the
>70-210s is the f4. Solid metal build not bad sharpness wise. On par
>with if not a little better than the 18-200.

It is just that two reviewers (David Ruether and Bjorn Rorslett) complain
about low constrast and softness.

The 18-200 is supposed to be better at the wide end than at the long end.
So maybe the 18-200 is not any better.

george

"LouisB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O%j_g.4870$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I've been agonising over a better digital SLR for some time and generally
> been disappointed at the look and feel of a number of Canon, Nikon and
> Lumix cameras I've tried.
>
> Yesterday, I was passing a well known s/h camera shop and noticed that
> their window was filled with Nikon D1x DSLRs. I've never tried one but the
> owner took me through one pointing out all the features. What really
> impressed me was the rock solid feel of the camera. It is the first one
> I've picked up which feels well built.
>
> I can put together a s/h kit from this shop that includes the D1x, a 18-35
> AF and 70-210 AF which would give me a good basic kit. Cost of the whole
> kit would be about GBP 200 ($400) than say a Nikon D200 with kit lens.
> Would I be nuts to buy the D1x or should I accept that the D200 is more up
> to date and probably the better way to go?
>
> LouisB
> ------
> "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

I realize that you are in the U.K. so laws may vary. Here in the U.S., find
out when the camera was discontinued and add seven years to that and that
will be when the legal obligation to provide support (including parts) ends.
Considering that the D1X was discontinued at least a couple of years ago,
does the asking price make sense over the assured lifespan of the camera?
Also, Nikon in the U.S. (and other places) can be quite a pain about
supporting and repairing cameras that THEIR local distributor did not
import...do you have proof of official channel entry into your country, or
might that be a problem as well? Just a couple things to consider...I know
which way I would (and did) go and wouldn't trade my D200 for five D1X
cameras but have heard others who prefer the old D1X.

George

David Ruether

"Philip Homburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:9bpvgc764qrqkjsnksv6fj9l32@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>The best copy of the
>>70-210s is the f4. Solid metal build not bad sharpness wise. On par
>>with if not a little better than the 18-200.

> It is just that two reviewers (David Ruether and Bjorn Rorslett) complain
> about low constrast and softness.

Ummmm, here is what I say about it at -
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html

"good sharpness wide open to the corners though contrast is
lower than Nikkor average; works well on TC14A; AF optics
are the same, AF focus ring at front is narrow (in common with
other early-style AF Nikkor lenses - there is a need in the
Nikkor line for a good current affordable AF 70/80-200/210mm
constant-aperture f3.5-4 zoom now that this one has been
discontinued); constant aperture with zooming"

The fact that the 70-210 f4 performs well on the TC14A
indicates that this lens is definately not soft! Images are
excellent in B&W wide open, a tad less than Nikon-normal
contrasty in color, but I would (and did) rate this lens as
good... (and I have a mint MF version FS.... Sometimes
B. R. and I disagree, but when this happens, it is most often
due to using different methods for checking lenses (also,
lenses vary by sample, and rereading B. R.'s rating on this
lens, it looks to me that his was defective (I have used
several, all good...).
--
David Ruether
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

Philip Homburg

In article <d4Q_g.10150$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Ruether <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Philip Homburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:9bpvgc764qrqkjsnksv6fj9l32@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>> tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>The best copy of the
>>>70-210s is the f4. Solid metal build not bad sharpness wise. On par
>>>with if not a little better than the 18-200.

>> It is just that two reviewers (David Ruether and Bjorn Rorslett) complain
>> about low constrast and softness.

>Ummmm, here is what I say about it at -
>http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html
>
>"good sharpness wide open to the corners though contrast is
>lower than Nikkor average;

I should have copied your and Bjorn's text. I summerized (maybe not correctly)
your remarkt as 'low contrast', but that may have been a bit too much and
the softness was taken from Bjorn's review.

But you rated the 70-210/4 lower then the 80-200/4.5 which I rate as sort
of okay. But maybe that is asking too much.