Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Landscape Photos - Overexpose or Underexpose?

Landscape Photos - Overexpose or Underexpose?

bhoenig

I plan to spend one day this weekend in the Shenandoah Valley taking pix
of the fall foliage with my new Panasonic FZ7. I'm just learning to use
full manual mode and was wondering whether it's better to err towards
underexposing or err towards overexposing the shot? In other words,
which gives the better potential for later editing in PS Elements with
the aim being rich, vibrant colors?

I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
rule in addressing this question?

Thanks!

Rutger

"bhoenig<no-spam> @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I plan to spend one day this weekend in the Shenandoah Valley taking pix of
>the fall foliage with my new Panasonic FZ7. I'm just learning to use full
>manual mode and was wondering whether it's better to err towards
>underexposing or err towards overexposing the shot? In other words, which
>gives the better potential for later editing in PS Elements with the aim
>being rich, vibrant colors?
>
> I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
> rule in addressing this question?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

Rutger

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/sets

Paul Mitchum

bhoenig<no-spam> <"bhoenig<no-spam>"@comcast.net> wrote:

> I plan to spend one day this weekend in the Shenandoah Valley taking pix
> of the fall foliage with my new Panasonic FZ7. I'm just learning to use
> full manual mode and was wondering whether it's better to err towards
> underexposing or err towards overexposing the shot? In other words,
> which gives the better potential for later editing in PS Elements with
> the aim being rich, vibrant colors?
>
> I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
> rule in addressing this question?

The best way to do it is to not over- or under-expose anything.

If you're set on erring, however, you should err on the side of detail.
If you want to capture detail in shadows, then you have to under-expose.
If you want detail in highlights, then you have to over-expose. If you
want both, you have to learn to control the light.

Scott W

Paul Mitchum wrote:
> If you're set on erring, however, you should err on the side of

detail.
> If you want to capture detail in shadows, then you have to under-expose.
> If you want detail in highlights, then you have to over-expose. If you
> want both, you have to learn to control the light.

I think you might have this backwards, if you want more detail in the
shadows you need to over expose and if you want to not blow out the
high lights and loose all detail you need expose less.

Scott

Paul Mitchum

Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Paul Mitchum wrote:
> > If you're set on erring, however, you should err on the side of
> > detail. If you want to capture detail in shadows, then you have to
> > under-expose. If you want detail in highlights, then you have to
> > over-expose. If you want both, you have to learn to control the light.

> I think you might have this backwards, if you want more detail in the
> shadows you need to over expose and if you want to not blow out the
> high lights and loose all detail you need expose less.

Geez, you're right. Next you'll be telling me that bigger f/stop numbers
mean smaller aperatures!

Marvin

bhoenig<no-spam> wrote:
> I plan to spend one day this weekend in the Shenandoah Valley taking pix
> of the fall foliage with my new Panasonic FZ7. I'm just learning to use
> full manual mode and was wondering whether it's better to err towards
> underexposing or err towards overexposing the shot? In other words,
> which gives the better potential for later editing in PS Elements with
> the aim being rich, vibrant colors?
>
> I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
> rule in addressing this question?
>
> Thanks!

My Panasonic LZ3 has a Vivid setting under Pict. Adj. It is
great for sunsets and leaf colors.