Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to get rid of scratches on lens surface.

How to get rid of scratches on lens surface.

Paul L

Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
flat, plstic like material.

Unspam

> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
> lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
> flat, plstic like material.

Don't worry about it, use a lens hood and you won't even notice it.

Joseph Meehan

Paul L wrote:
> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
> a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
> is a flat, plstic like material.

I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos are
exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In any case
if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest sandpaper.

While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and are
available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the plastic
rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on a camera.

On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the careful
application of a flat black material like India Ink.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mike Fields

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%_6_g.17339$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Paul L wrote:
>> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
>> a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
>> is a flat, plstic like material.

> I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos
> are exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In
> any case if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest
> sandpaper.
>
> While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and
> are available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the
> plastic rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on
> a camera.
>
> On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the
> careful application of a flat black material like India Ink.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

I have never used them, but I have seen advertisements for
a polymer solution of some sort for eye glasses that is
supposed to "remove" the scratches. The trick is to fill it
in with something that has the same index of refraction as
what it is filling. Never used it, but you might want to
check it out.

Of course the better answer is not to get the scratch in the
first place ... like you didn't know that. If your camera can
take filters, put something like a UV or skylight filter on the
front. Much cheaper than the front element of the lens ..

mikey

SimonLW

"Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9N5_g.15991$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
> lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
> flat, plstic like material.

If it is not affecting the image, leave it be. Do not try to polish the lens
cover because polishing removes material around the scratch and changes the
optical properties making it some what of a mild concave shape, thus may
effect the image the camera produces. If you you are getting flare from the
scratch, filling it the damage with black ink that adheres to the plastic
well may work.
-S

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%_6_g.17339$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Paul L wrote:
> >> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
> >> a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
> >> is a flat, plstic like material.

> > I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos
> > are exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In
> > any case if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest
> > sandpaper.
> >
> > While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and
> > are available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the
> > plastic rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on
> > a camera.
> >
> > On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the
> > careful application of a flat black material like India Ink.
> >
> > --
> > Joseph Meehan
> >
> > Dia duit

> I have never used them, but I have seen advertisements for
> a polymer solution of some sort for eye glasses that is
> supposed to "remove" the scratches. The trick is to fill it
> in with something that has the same index of refraction as
> what it is filling. Never used it, but you might want to
> check it out.
>
> Of course the better answer is not to get the scratch in the
> first place ... like you didn't know that. If your camera can
> take filters, put something like a UV or skylight filter on the
> front. Much cheaper than the front element of the lens ..

seconded.My digital camera (Kodak CX 7300)has a glass protective thingy
(what would you call it?glass surface?) although its glass is plastic and I
strongly recommend you put an 1A or 1B to your camcorder,too.(Not UV which
has a light yellowish tint and was generally used in B&W)

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

George Kerby

On 10/20/06 12:58 PM, in article
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Mike Fields"
<spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%_6_g.17339$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Paul L wrote:
>>> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
>>> a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
>>> is a flat, plstic like material.

>> I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos
>> are exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In
>> any case if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest
>> sandpaper.
>>
>> While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and
>> are available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the
>> plastic rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on
>> a camera.
>>
>> On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the
>> careful application of a flat black material like India Ink.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph Meehan
>>
>> Dia duit

> I have never used them, but I have seen advertisements for
> a polymer solution of some sort for eye glasses that is
> supposed to "remove" the scratches. The trick is to fill it
> in with something that has the same index of refraction as
> what it is filling. Never used it, but you might want to
> check it out.
>
> Of course the better answer is not to get the scratch in the
> first place ... like you didn't know that. If your camera can
> take filters, put something like a UV or skylight filter on the
> front. Much cheaper than the front element of the lens ..
>
> mikey

They will warn you that it is for uncoated lenses only. I assume this also
applys to camera lens glass.

ColinD

Paul L wrote:
> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
> lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
> flat, plstic like material.

A flat plastic 'lens'? There should be no flat plastic of any sort in
front of your lens. Do you mean the cover over the lcd screen on the
back of the camera?

Colin D.

JohnR66

"ColinD" <nospam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:4539c629$0$19708$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Paul L wrote:
>> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
>> lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
>> flat, plstic like material.

> A flat plastic 'lens'? There should be no flat plastic of any sort in
> front of your lens. Do you mean the cover over the lcd screen on the back
> of the camera?
>
> Colin D.

Some older models did indeed have a flat piece of plastic over the lens. I
remember some cheap Fujifilm models had it and, IIRC, My Kodak DC280 had
it. It seemed to be hard coated so scratching was never an issue.
JOhn

Duncan

Leave well alone and shoot away from the sun using a lens hood.

But if the lens is expendable I would consider creating a soft focus lens by
using ultra fine emery and oil to smooth the lens in places to create an
effect lens.

Duncan

"JohnR66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hRo_g.323780$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "ColinD" <nospam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> news:4539c629$0$19708$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Paul L wrote:
>>> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
>>> lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
>>> flat, plstic like material.

>> A flat plastic 'lens'? There should be no flat plastic of any sort in
>> front of your lens. Do you mean the cover over the lcd screen on the
>> back of the camera?
>>
>> Colin D.
>>
>> --
>>

> Some older models did indeed have a flat piece of plastic over the lens. I
> remember some cheap Fujifilm models had it and, IIRC, My Kodak DC280 had
> it. It seemed to be hard coated so scratching was never an issue.
> JOhn

Getting Rid Of Surface Scratches? (PeteCresswell) DVD Video 14 11-27-2009 01:39 AM
Theres scratches in the sound ! =?Utf-8?B?YnkgbmVlZGluIGhlbHAgZnJvbSBwZW9wbGU=?= Microsoft Certification 3 07-07-2005 05:31 AM
Scratches Nancy Computer Support 5 01-10-2005 11:08 AM
Are dvd+RW as fragile as cd-rw? scratches lab Computer Support 2 01-06-2004 03:23 AM

Advertisments