Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop CS2 and RAM?

Photoshop CS2 and RAM?

PeteD

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.

Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?

Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
like mine....

Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers
Pete

sally

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
PeteD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
>requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
>upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.

Memory usage depends a lot on the sizes of the images you are editing.
If your images are 640x480 or so, then performance won't be too bad on
your machine. If you want good performance when editing 5MP images,
then more memory and a faster CPU will make a very noticable difference.

David Littlewood

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
PeteD <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi,
>
>I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
>requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
>upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>
>Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?
>
>Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
>management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
>understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
>like mine....

Works fine on my PC with a 1.4 GHz AMD chip and 512 Mb of RAM. Well, it
is a bit slow to open, move to Bridge etc, but nothing I can't live with
until I replace the PC.

The upgrade is well worthwhile; I moved from PS 7.0 and thought it was a
good move. Bridge, plus the built in RAW converter, and several of the
tools, are all very useful.

David
--
David Littlewood

Adrian Boliston

"PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
> requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
> upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>
> Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?
>
> Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
> management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
> understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
> like mine....

I am using the Nikon Capture NX trial and I have 512MB ram on my laptop and
it is very slow to render D80 Nefs! Nefs from my D70s are faster to process
in Capture NX as they are a *lot* smaller, so a memory upgrade to 1GB ram
(the most my laptop will hold) is a priority.

Bill Crocker

"PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
> requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
> upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>
> Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?
>
> Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
> management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
> understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
> like mine....
>
> Thanks for any feedback.
> Cheers
> Pete

Memory upgrades are very easy to do! Click below for more info:

http://www.crucial.com/

Make sure your computer is turned OFF, and unplugged! Be very careful
regarding static electricity.

Bill Crocker

bmoag

Your CPU is fine.
D80 files are huge (~30mb) and double that in 16 bit color.
Nikon NX is a memory hog, kind of a dinosaur in terms of programming. It is
not possible to have NX, CS2 and Bridge open simultaneously with only 512
mbs of RAM unless you plan to paint your house and watch the paint dry while
waiting for images to render.
You need a minimum of 1gb ram.
With 2 gbs RAM you will be astounded at the performance increase.

MarkČ

PeteD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
> requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
> upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>
> Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?

Yes. It's OK, but definitely starts the hard-drive rattling with much of a
history file list.

> Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
> management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
> understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
> like mine....

You shouldn't have any trouble at all finding RAM for a Pentium 4
motherboard.
2GB of RAM would be a huge boost...and the cost is fairly modest.

I run CS2 on a P4 with 2GB, and do quite well...even with large 5D RAW
files. But add a few layers on 16 bit tif files, and you'll soon be wishing
for yet more RAM...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Jan

"PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
> requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
> upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>
> Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?
>
> Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
> management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
> understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
> like mine....
>
> Thanks for any feedback.
> Cheers
> Pete

Adobe Photoshop CS2 was extremly slow on my laptop with 512 MB (no memory
upgrade possible).
Even starting the application was slow, the information windows reacted slow
without any file was opened.

After installing the upgrade from the Adobe website, the speed increased a
lot.

Jan

Roy G

"Bill Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
>> requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
>> upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>>
>> Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?
>>
>> Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
>> management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
>> understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
>> like mine....
>>
>> Thanks for any feedback.
>> Cheers
>> Pete
>>

> Memory upgrades are very easy to do! Click below for more info:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/
>
> Make sure your computer is turned OFF, and unplugged! Be very careful
> regarding static electricity.
>
> Bill Crocker

Woops.

Computer should be switched off, and turned off at the wall socket.

But the power cable should be kept plugged in, so that the computer case is
still connected to Earth, and you should touch a bare metal part of the case
frequently to discharge Static from yourself.

Roy G

Dave Cohen

MarkČ wrote:
> PeteD wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
>> requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
>> upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>>
>> Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?

> Yes. It's OK, but definitely starts the hard-drive rattling with much of a
> history file list.
>
>> Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
>> management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
>> understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
>> like mine....

> You shouldn't have any trouble at all finding RAM for a Pentium 4
> motherboard.
> 2GB of RAM would be a huge boost...and the cost is fairly modest.

If you still have the MB manual use that to get correct memory type. If
not, make sure you get the correct memory type for your MB.
The only real problem you might run into is if they filled the available
slots, which means you would have to remove what you have and discard.
My machine has two slots, with a single 512mb, so it would be easy for
me to upgrade to 1gb. Beyond that I would have to discard what I have.
Dave Cohen