Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop CS2 and RAM?

Photoshop CS2 and RAM?

Bill Crocker

"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8g3_g.25132$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of buying CS2 (I have PS6). I'm concerned about RAM
>>> requirements. I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM. I suspect a memory
>>> upgrade may be tricky due to the age of the PC.
>>>
>>> Is anyone out there running CS2 on a similar spec machine?
>>>
>>> Also is it worth the upgrade from PS6. I like the look of the file
>>> management stuff and I just got a D80 so I need a Raw converter too. I
>>> understand Nikon Capture NX (other option) is really slow on a machine
>>> like mine....
>>>
>>> Thanks for any feedback.
>>> Cheers
>>> Pete
>>>

>> Memory upgrades are very easy to do! Click below for more info:
>>
>> http://www.crucial.com/
>>
>> Make sure your computer is turned OFF, and unplugged! Be very careful
>> regarding static electricity.
>>
>> Bill Crocker

> Woops.
>
> Computer should be switched off, and turned off at the wall socket.
>
> But the power cable should be kept plugged in, so that the computer case
> is
> still connected to Earth, and you should touch a bare metal part of the
> case
> frequently to discharge Static from yourself.
>
> Roy G

I wouldn't recomend that with most computers made in the last five years or
so! The motherboard is activly under power even though the On/Off switch
has been turned Off! They maintain power to the mother board so that
varuous automated processes can occur, such as remote power-on via network
interface cards, etc. You can confirm this on most systems by pulling the
side cover off, and looking for a really small green LED on the mother board
that will be on.

If you just ground yourself to the metal case, that should be adiquate.
I've been doing that for over twenty five years without ever damaging any
parts.

Bill Crocker

David Littlewood

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill Crocker
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:8g3_g.25132$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Woops.
>>
>> Computer should be switched off, and turned off at the wall socket.
>>
>> But the power cable should be kept plugged in, so that the computer case
>> is
>> still connected to Earth, and you should touch a bare metal part of the
>> case
>> frequently to discharge Static from yourself.
>>
>> Roy G
>>

>I wouldn't recomend that with most computers made in the last five years or
>so! The motherboard is activly under power even though the On/Off switch
>has been turned Off! They maintain power to the mother board so that
>varuous automated processes can occur, such as remote power-on via network
>interface cards, etc. You can confirm this on most systems by pulling the
>side cover off, and looking for a really small green LED on the mother board
>that will be on.
>
>If you just ground yourself to the metal case, that should be adiquate.
>I've been doing that for over twenty five years without ever damaging any
>parts.
>
>Bill Crocker

Bill,

I think you need to re-read what Roy wrote. Your wiring must be
dangerously unconventional if the PC is still powered when turned off at
the wall socket.

David
--
David Littlewood

Gary C

"David Littlewood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I think you need to re-read what Roy wrote. Your wiring must be
> dangerously unconventional if the PC is still powered when turned off at
> the wall socket.

Us yanks, have nothing on a wall socket to turn off.

John McWilliams

Gary C wrote:
> "David Littlewood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I think you need to re-read what Roy wrote. Your wiring must be
>> dangerously unconventional if the PC is still powered when turned off at
>> the wall socket.

> Us yanks, have nothing on a wall socket to turn off.

We who live in Yankee-land generally have switches on the wall that
operate the wall sockets, as if it made a lot of diff.

--
lsmft

Bill Funk

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:59:04 -0700, John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gary C wrote:
>> "David Littlewood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I think you need to re-read what Roy wrote. Your wiring must be
>>> dangerously unconventional if the PC is still powered when turned off at
>>> the wall socket.

>> Us yanks, have nothing on a wall socket to turn off.

>We who live in Yankee-land generally have switches on the wall that
>operate the wall sockets, as if it made a lot of diff.

I live in the US (is that "Yankee-land"?), and I know that in
relatively recent homes (built in the last several decades?), there's
a wall switch in most rooms that control one outlet (the 'light
switch'), but only that one outlet.
The rest of the outlets aren't wall-switch-controlled, to the best of
my knowledge.
Where are your wall switches trhat control your outlets?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Gary C

"Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:59:04 -0700, John McWilliams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Gary C wrote:
>>> "David Littlewood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Us yanks, have nothing on a wall socket to turn off.

>>We who live in Yankee-land generally have switches on the wall that
>>operate the wall sockets, as if it made a lot of diff.

> I live in the US (is that "Yankee-land"?), and I know that in
> relatively recent homes (built in the last several decades?), there's
> a wall switch in most rooms that control one outlet (the 'light
> switch'), but only that one outlet.
> The rest of the outlets aren't wall-switch-controlled, to the best of
> my knowledge.
> Where are your wall switches trhat control your outlets?
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"

Bill, your point is correct, but *OUR* wall switches do not control
outlets. The wall switch controls a junction box, in the ceiling,
(99 out of 100 times) with a fixture on it. Our wall outlets, which we
plug our 110V or 220V devices into, are continuously live at all times.

The only switch we have to control wall outlets is within
our fuse / breaker panels, at the main power line coming into the home
because wall outlets are most often a long run of wiring, ergo, every
wall outlet in a room(s) is connected together in series.

Perhaps us Yankee Doodles use different terms than the UK, i.e. wall socket?
Maybe the Britts plug their computers into their ceilings?
After all, we do not call our car fenders, wings!

John McWilliams

Gary C wrote:
> "Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:59:04 -0700, John McWilliams
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> We who live in Yankee-land generally have switches on the wall that
>>> operate the wall sockets, as if it made a lot of diff.

>> I live in the US (is that "Yankee-land"?), and I know that in
>> relatively recent homes (built in the last several decades?), there's
>> a wall switch in most rooms that control one outlet (the 'light
>> switch'), but only that one outlet.
>> The rest of the outlets aren't wall-switch-controlled, to the best of
>> my knowledge.
>> Where are your wall switches trhat control your outlets?

Next to the doors. This house, which I am renting in No. Cal., is poorly
wired. Most wall outlets are controlled by wall switches, but not all.
Just too many. Or, more accurately, there are not enough outlets in toto.

> Bill, your point is correct, but *OUR* wall switches do not control
> outlets. The wall switch controls a junction box, in the ceiling,
> (99 out of 100 times) with a fixture on it. Our wall outlets, which we
> plug our 110V or 220V devices into, are continuously live at all times.
>
> The only switch we have to control wall outlets is within
> our fuse / breaker panels, at the main power line coming into the home
> because wall outlets are most often a long run of wiring, ergo, every
> wall outlet in a room(s) is connected together in series.
>
> Perhaps us Yankee Doodles use different terms than the UK, i.e. wall socket?
> Maybe the Britts plug their computers into their ceilings?
> After all, we do not call our car fenders, wings!

That'd be "we Yankee Doodles". And, yes, those rooms which have overhead
fixtures are switched by a wall mount. My preference is to have several
outlets, the bottom outlet of which is switched, and the top live.

--
John McWilliams

Bill Funk

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 04:12:44 GMT, "Gary C"
<Clem_Kadiddlehopper@Crazy_Googinheimer.com> wrote:

>"Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:59:04 -0700, John McWilliams
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>We who live in Yankee-land generally have switches on the wall that
>>>operate the wall sockets, as if it made a lot of diff.

>> I live in the US (is that "Yankee-land"?), and I know that in
>> relatively recent homes (built in the last several decades?), there's
>> a wall switch in most rooms that control one outlet (the 'light
>> switch'), but only that one outlet.
>> The rest of the outlets aren't wall-switch-controlled, to the best of
>> my knowledge.
>> Where are your wall switches trhat control your outlets?
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"

>Bill, your point is correct, but *OUR* wall switches do not control
>outlets. The wall switch controls a junction box, in the ceiling,
>(99 out of 100 times) with a fixture on it. Our wall outlets, which we
>plug our 110V or 220V devices into, are continuously live at all times.

In my house (and all recently built houses I've been in), in most
rooms, there's a wall switch to control one outlet, into which is
usually plugged a light.

>The only switch we have to control wall outlets is within
>our fuse / breaker panels, at the main power line coming into the home
>because wall outlets are most often a long run of wiring, ergo, every
>wall outlet in a room(s) is connected together in series.
>
>Perhaps us Yankee Doodles use different terms than the UK, i.e. wall socket?
>Maybe the Britts plug their computers into their ceilings?
>After all, we do not call our car fenders, wings!

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Frank ess

Gary C wrote:
> "Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:59:04 -0700, John McWilliams
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> We who live in Yankee-land generally have switches on the wall
>>> that
>>> operate the wall sockets, as if it made a lot of diff.

>> I live in the US (is that "Yankee-land"?), and I know that in
>> relatively recent homes (built in the last several decades?),
>> there's
>> a wall switch in most rooms that control one outlet (the 'light
>> switch'), but only that one outlet.
>> The rest of the outlets aren't wall-switch-controlled, to the best
>> of
>> my knowledge.
>> Where are your wall switches trhat control your outlets?
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"

> Bill, your point is correct, but *OUR* wall switches do not control
> outlets. The wall switch controls a junction box, in the ceiling,
> (99 out of 100 times) with a fixture on it. Our wall outlets, which
> we
> plug our 110V or 220V devices into, are continuously live at all
> times.
> The only switch we have to control wall outlets is within
> our fuse / breaker panels, at the main power line coming into the
> home
> because wall outlets are most often a long run of wiring, ergo,
> every
> wall outlet in a room(s) is connected together in series.
>
> Perhaps us Yankee Doodles use different terms than the UK, i.e. wall
> socket? Maybe the Britts plug their computers into their ceilings?
> After all, we do not call our car fenders, wings!

My built-in-1957-Southern-California [1]house has two switches in a
wall-mounted panel four or so feet above the floor and just inside the
front door: Number One controls the porch light; Number Two controls
one of two outlets (sockets) in a panel a foot above the floor in the
same wall as the switch panel. An incandescent floor or table lamp
connected to the switched socket can be turned on from the entrance
way.

I remember a similar arrangement in two of a half-dozen houses I've
lived in between 1943 and today. Not to say they weren't present, just
that I remember the two clearly.

--
Frank ess

[1] It's still here.

Doug Robbins

Photoshop has an unlimited appetite for RAM. I'm running 2GB and often times
wish I had more.