Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: HP OJ d145 color ink out error replace color ink cartridge message

Re: HP OJ d145 color ink out error replace color ink cartridge message

Ben Myers

"We'll probably have to wait for the EU to do it, since the US and Canada
governments are too tied to tax revenues from these industries to do the right
thing." Tax revenues? I can't speak for Canada, but hell no!!! in the US.
The anti-trust division of the US Justice Department has gone to sleep at the
request of the current regime in power. Why? Because the current regime
lines its pockets with political contributions from large businesses. Look
what happened to the Microsoft anti-trust suit in the US. The Clinton
administration had Microsoft pretty much nailed to the wall. Then W got elected
and actions against Microsoft ground to a halt.

Yes, let's hope that the EU takes up printer issues after it finishes with
Microsoft. The computer industry is dominated by monopolists and cartels, and
we all pay the price... Ben Myers

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:49:30 GMT, Arthur Entlich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A few comments.
>
>Although I have to agree that almost all the "features" in ink
>cartridge technology that have been introduced principally for the
>benefit of the manufacturers (and I mean all of them, HP is not alone in
>this, by any means), I'm not sure it is for shelf space in stores.
>
>These days, beside the extended warranty business, the principal way big
>box and tech stores make money is not sales of the products, but by
>renting shelf space. Ever notice that certain brands are displayed in
>certain locations in stores, and that all the stores in the chain tend
>to use the same locations or percentage of their shelf space for
>specific products/brands? Smaller companies usually get the lower darker
>locations. HP pays a fortune to rent the best spaces, whether it is for
>produce or ink cartridges.
>
>The other reason for continual new ink cartridge designs, besides
>confounding the consumer from being able to refill them, is because it
>limits how many cartridges are out their being reused by 3rd party
>refillers. In the case of more disposable cartridges (like Epson and
>Canon) its to keep the 3rd party cartridge designers in the dark and
>scrambling to create the latest 3rd party cartridge.
>
>Over the years, the inkjet and now laser printer companies have spent
>minor fortunes in design and engineering costs to create printer systems
>that can detect and reject non-OEM cartridges. They also incorporate
>and patent systems which have secondary "features" which supposedly are
>there to provide user conveniences when the more likely purpose is to
>require anyone copying the cartridge design to infringe on the
>manufacturer's patents, so they can sue and create injunctions on the
>3rd party manufacture of those cartridges.
>
>I wish the legislative and judiciary would smarten up and put an end to
>these methods of curtailing competition in the refill ink/toner
>cartridge marketplace. We'll probably have to wait for the EU to do it,
>since the US and Canada governments are too tied to tax revenues from
>these industries to do the right thing.
>
>Art

John McWilliams

Ben Myers wrote:
> "We'll probably have to wait for the EU to do it, since the US and Canada
> governments are too tied to tax revenues from these industries to do the right
> thing." Tax revenues? I can't speak for Canada, but hell no!!! in the US.
> The anti-trust division of the US Justice Department has gone to sleep at the
> request of the current regime in power.

The anti-trust guys have been on methadone treatment since the 70's. Has
nothing to do with current politics.

In a more practical vein, I doubt one can simply legislate that the
industry standardize ink tanks, nor do I think that's the way to go. The
demand needs to come from consumers, and the US is a nation of them, for
the most part wasteful and seldom concerned with economics. Present
company excepted, of course.
--
John McWilliams

Ben Myers

Well, get together a group of consumers to launch a crusade or jihad against the
printer manufacturers.

The Microsoft anti-trust suit must have occured when the methadone supply ran
out. Then big pharma opened up the pill supply again, and has not yet stopped.
Oops! I need to be careful here, with the recent suspension of habeas corpus!

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:03:13 -0700, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> "We'll probably have to wait for the EU to do it, since the US and Canada
>> governments are too tied to tax revenues from these industries to do the right
>> thing." Tax revenues? I can't speak for Canada, but hell no!!! in the US.
>> The anti-trust division of the US Justice Department has gone to sleep at the
>> request of the current regime in power.

>The anti-trust guys have been on methadone treatment since the 70's. Has
>nothing to do with current politics.
>
>In a more practical vein, I doubt one can simply legislate that the
>industry standardize ink tanks, nor do I think that's the way to go. The
>demand needs to come from consumers, and the US is a nation of them, for
>the most part wasteful and seldom concerned with economics. Present
>company excepted, of course.

Tony

Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:38:20 -0500, Tony wrote:
>> I think your hypothesis is not founded in fact. If the printer reports ink
>>out
>> or ink low it is quite simply because it believes that to be the case.

>Hi Tony,
>
>I thank you for your expert help.
>
>The fundamental quesion is whether turning off the black and color ink drop
>checking on the HP ojd145 via the "double-arrow 4 5 6" and "double-arrow 7
>8 9" respectively - is temporary (i.e., until the next power on cycle).
>
>My hypothesis is that you must turn off the ink-drop counting each time to
>restart the hpojd145 printer. If you disagree with my hypothesis (which you
>are welcome to do, but please provide facts), can you tell me how one would
>be able to check whether ink drop counting is on or off. The answer to that
>question would prove or disprove the hypothesis.
>
>Does _anyone_ in this printer group know if turning off the ink drop
>checking is temporary or if it lasts for a specified period or event?

The purpose of the ink usage counter is to protect the printhead and to provide
an estimate of printhead life remaining, nothing more (in this printer at
least).
Therefore I cannot understand why anybody would want to turn it off unless they
want the printhead to die. The second issue I have is that I am surprised that
HP allows it to be turned off.
Your hypothesis seems to me to have no relevance.
Tony

John McWilliams

Ben Myers wrote:
> Well, get together a group of consumers to launch a crusade or jihad against the
> printer manufacturers.
>
> The Microsoft anti-trust suit must have occured when the methadone supply ran
> out. Then big pharma opened up the pill supply again, and has not yet stopped.
> Oops! I need to be careful here, with the recent suspension of habeas corpus!

A side show. Nothing occurred other than MS was told they did bad
things, and they really really should stop or they'd be in big, big
trouble in the future. A few hundred millions or low billions in fines;
a slap on the wrist for MS.

--
john mcwilliams

Ben Myers

Except that the fines and sanctions in the US never happened. It was a case of
anti-trustus interruptus when the Bush DOJ took over... Ben Myers