Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheap batteries for Lumix DMC-FZ7

Cheap batteries for Lumix DMC-FZ7

Glenn Alcott

I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery. At
a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's any
good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
Here's the page:
http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CG.../bbs006-01.htm

Glenn

Paul Rubin

"Glenn Alcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery. At
> a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
> is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's any
> good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.

I've been using cheap batteries in various devices (camcorders, cell
phones) and haven't had any major problems, though I think they're
more likely to overstate their capacity than the OEM brands. More
recently I've been making an effort to stay away from lithium ion
altogether, and always prefer to buy AA-powered devices.

Rudy Benner

"Glenn Alcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kMLZg.940$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
>I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery.
>At
> a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
> is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's
> any
> good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
> Here's the page:
> http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CG.../bbs006-01.htm
>
> Glenn

At that price, buy two.

Vic Dura

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:15:44 GMT, "Glenn Alcott" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote Re Cheap batteries for Lumix DMC-FZ7:

>I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery. At
>a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
>is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's any
>good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
>Here's the page:
>http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CG.../bbs006-01.htm

It's hard to tell. The only way is to try it. My guess is that it is
pretty good. I don't think there are a lot of battery manufacturers
out there so most of the off-brand batteries are probably made by
major manufacturers.

Those are good prices, but the shipping is high. If you select 2 of
the above the total with shipping is $30. At the battery barn
http://www.batterybarn.com/ the price is $13/each with free shipping;
and Battery Barn looks more established and reliable at
http://www.resellerratings.com/

--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

kas

Glenn Alcott wrote:
> I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery. At
> a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
> is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's any
> good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
> Here's the page:
> http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CG.../bbs006-01.htm
>
> Glenn

Take a look at www.fargo-ent.com. I used to buy all my film camera
batteries there. They, including shipping, were about half the price I
would pay for batteries alone.

sally

Are camera batteries subject to the same explosion problem as laptop batteries?

Paul Rubin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (sally) writes:
> Are camera batteries subject to the same explosion problem as laptop
> batteries?

Yes. There was a big recall of Nikon EN-EL3 and EN-EL3a batteries
(used in the D50/D70/D70S) for example.

JohnR66

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) (sally) writes:
>> Are camera batteries subject to the same explosion problem as laptop
>> batteries?

> Yes. There was a big recall of Nikon EN-EL3 and EN-EL3a batteries
> (used in the D50/D70/D70S) for example.

Yep, the sensor is not the only thing Sony makes for Nikon. Pretty soon it
may be called Sominoltakon cameras. ; )
John

JohnR66

"Glenn Alcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kMLZg.940$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
>I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery.
>At
> a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
> is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's
> any
> good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
> Here's the page:
> http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CG.../bbs006-01.htm
>
> Glenn

I bought an lithium NP-80 Li-ion battery off of ebay for $7 and $6 to ship.
It worked fine, but I could tell it did not have the same power as the OEM.
I sold the camera shortly after getting that battery so I don't know how
long it lasted after several charges.

A year before that, I bought a $37 battery from B&H. It too was not as good
as the OEM and was useless in a year.

On vacation and out shooting, I got the battery warning, changed batteries
shot more and that battery ran out. It was the point I swore off Li-ion
batteries.

Too expensive for OEM performance
Degrades in performance after a year or so.
Married to a charger.
proprietary

I got an A610 and can get 400 shoots on alkalines.
John