Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Large Photo Size/Printing etc

Large Photo Size/Printing etc

Matt

Hi All,

I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it off
and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?

The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium

Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
pixels, 6.0MP

I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
different software if it makes this task easier.

Thanks for any help

Matt

Paul Rubin

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
> colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
> cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.

mpix.com makes 20x30" prints for $25. I remember there was another
place that made very large prints (like 40x60") also at reasonable
prices on some kind of large inkjet printer. I thought I had it
bookmarked but I can't find it now. Maybe someone else knows of such
a place.

Matt

Thanks, quotes i have been getting are 80 GBP per image and i need two of
them

If someone could find such a place i would be most grateful, they need to be
willing to post to the UK if overseas

Thanks

Matt

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections
>> in
>> colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
>> cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.

> mpix.com makes 20x30" prints for $25. I remember there was another
> place that made very large prints (like 40x60") also at reasonable
> prices on some kind of large inkjet printer. I thought I had it
> bookmarked but I can't find it now. Maybe someone else knows of such
> a place.

Andy

news:45362c90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections

in
> colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
> cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
> pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it

off
> and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?
>
> The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium
>
> Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
> pixels, 6.0MP
>
> I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
> different software if it makes this task easier.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Matt
>
> I used to have some software called Posteriza which I got from a freeware

site. I used it to print off some of my panoramic shots, I would print out 8
A4 sheets 2 up and 4 along then just join together. Or you could do any
combination you wanted.
Try searching for it and try it out, it might not be what you want but at
least it's free to try.

Andy

Stewy

In article <45362c90$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
> colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
> cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
> pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it off
> and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?
>
> The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium
>
> Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
> pixels, 6.0MP
>
> I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
> different software if it makes this task easier.

If you print in sections, aim for a slight overlap and print on the
thinnest paper, leave the overlaps in place.

Or use heavier paper, overlap and cut around objects if possible - aim
for no straight line cuts. Use a box cutter or scalpel, not scissors.

Printing should be not less than 70ppi (screen resolution)

Resample the image if necessary.

A4 is 29.7 x 21cm. 36" square is 90cm. Printing in 12 wedges (3x4
landscape) would yield around 87cm x 84cm (1" & 1.5" less) - may vary
according to overlaps.

Figure how much 12 prints would cost you before comparing the online
photo printers

Scott W

Matt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
> colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
> cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
> pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it off
> and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?
>
> The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium
>
> Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
> pixels, 6.0MP
>
> I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
> different software if it makes this task easier.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Matt

Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them and
both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was $30,
not too bad.

Scott

Paul Rubin

"Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them and
> both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was $30,
> not too bad.

um, where?

Frank ess

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them
>> and both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was
>> $30, not too bad.

> um, where?

They were on the part of the island that sank ...

--
Frank ess

Ace

Matt wrote:

> I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
> different software if it makes this task easier.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Matt

I had some 36 X 40 prints made at a local reproduction shop that
specialized in building prints. They do color also. As I remember the
pricing was less than $20.00 each. The girl who did the work would take
any media and resize as well. I just took her a CD and minutes later
out of the printer it came.

Bob AZ

Scott W

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them and
> > both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was $30,
> > not too bad.

> um, where?

Shoot, forgot the link.
http://www.elcocolor.com/poster_special.htm