Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lens dilema

Lens dilema

embee

Hello,

I'm using a Canon 1DMkIIN and my main lens is a 24-105mm L. I'm very happy
with this setup for most of my work. When I need a longer focal length I
currently rely on my 70-500mm Sigma, which has served me adequately in the
past. However, I would like to invest in a better piece of glass
(particulary for candids, sport and the occassional wildlife shot). I would
like to buy an L series lens which has stabilisation.

I'm considering the EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM, with a 2x extender or the EF
100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM.

I know I am not the first person to make this choice, but I wondered if
anybody here would be kind enough to share their experience of either/both
of these lenses to help me evaluate my best option.

Many thanks.

Joseph Meehan

embee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using a Canon 1DMkIIN and my main lens is a 24-105mm L. I'm very
> happy with this setup for most of my work. When I need a longer focal
> length I currently rely on my 70-500mm Sigma, which has served me
> adequately in the past. However, I would like to invest in a better
> piece of glass (particulary for candids, sport and the occassional
> wildlife shot). I would like to buy an L series lens which has
> stabilisation.
> I'm considering the EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM, with a 2x extender or the
> EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM.
>
> I know I am not the first person to make this choice, but I wondered
> if anybody here would be kind enough to share their experience of
> either/both of these lenses to help me evaluate my best option.
>
> Many thanks.

I can't offer any advice from personal knowledge of either lens, but I
can say I have never been particularly fond of any extenders from the
standpoint of quality. While the better ones do sever well as an economical
approach, they never seem to equal a good lens and using them with zooms
just seems to bring out the worst of both.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Doug Robbins

A dilemma is a problem offering two solutions, neither of which is
acceptable. I don't think that this word applies in your case.

Doug

"embee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eh2evd$js7$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
>
> I'm using a Canon 1DMkIIN and my main lens is a 24-105mm L. I'm very happy
> with this setup for most of my work. When I need a longer focal length I
> currently rely on my 70-500mm Sigma, which has served me adequately in the
> past. However, I would like to invest in a better piece of glass
> (particulary for candids, sport and the occassional wildlife shot). I
> would like to buy an L series lens which has stabilisation.
>
> I'm considering the EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM, with a 2x extender or the EF
> 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM.
>
> I know I am not the first person to make this choice, but I wondered if
> anybody here would be kind enough to share their experience of either/both
> of these lenses to help me evaluate my best option.
>
> Many thanks.

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:31:57 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "embee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm using a Canon 1DMkIIN and my main lens is a 24-105mm L. I'm very happy
>with this setup for most of my work. When I need a longer focal length I
>currently rely on my 70-500mm Sigma, which has served me adequately in the
>past. However, I would like to invest in a better piece of glass
>(particulary for candids, sport and the occassional wildlife shot). I would
>like to buy an L series lens which has stabilisation.
>
>I'm considering the EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM, with a 2x extender or the EF
>100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM.
>
>I know I am not the first person to make this choice, but I wondered if
>anybody here would be kind enough to share their experience of either/both
>of these lenses to help me evaluate my best option.

Ask yourself what fraction of your shots would be taken using the
200-400mm range. Also ask yourself for the fraction taken using 200mm
and below does the f/2.8 give you an advantage.

I've shot a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 stabilized lens with a 2x converter
for years now. But the f/2.8 lens by itself comes in very handy on
it's own at times.
-
http://EdwardGRuf.com

John McWilliams

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:31:57 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "embee"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm using a Canon 1DMkIIN and my main lens is a 24-105mm L. I'm very happy
>> with this setup for most of my work. When I need a longer focal length I
>> currently rely on my 70-500mm Sigma, which has served me adequately in the
>> past. However, I would like to invest in a better piece of glass
>> (particulary for candids, sport and the occassional wildlife shot). I would
>> like to buy an L series lens which has stabilisation.
>>
>> I'm considering the EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM, with a 2x extender or the EF
>> 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM.
>>
>> I know I am not the first person to make this choice, but I wondered if
>> anybody here would be kind enough to share their experience of either/both
>> of these lenses to help me evaluate my best option.

> Ask yourself what fraction of your shots would be taken using the
> 200-400mm range. Also ask yourself for the fraction taken using 200mm
> and below does the f/2.8 give you an advantage.
>
> I've shot a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 stabilized lens with a 2x converter
> for years now. But the f/2.8 lens by itself comes in very handy on
> it's own at times.

Ed has a good point. I have the 70-200 IS lens, with a 1.4 extender. The
2x gets a bit soft, or did on my 20D. Haven't tried one (2x) with the
5D, but doubt I will, as the 20D is very active, and of course has the
1.6 crop factor; I turned in the 2x and kept the 1.4x. I like the combos
very much, btw.

--
John McWilliams

embee

"Doug Robbins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:X25Zg.133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A dilemma is a problem offering two solutions, neither of which is
> acceptable. I don't think that this word applies in your case.
>
> Doug

In the sense that, whichever lens I buy, my bank balance will be more than a
thousand UK pounds lighter, I consider it an entirely appropriate word to
use

Many thanks

bwoag

Do you need stabilization?
Do you try to handhold at focal lengths greater than 200mm with big glass
like your Sigma?
What is it about the Sigma that you do not like that you think Canon glass
will be all that much better?
Unless you are hiding inside a panel truck lenses like this are not exactly
inconspicuous for candid shooting . . .

embee

"bwoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Zn6Zg.18612$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Do you need stabilization?

Yes. It works, I like it.

> Do you try to handhold at focal lengths greater than 200mm with big glass
> like your Sigma?

Not if I can help it, but there have been occassions when I have had to
handhold (I've been to sports events where tripds and monopods are not
allowed, for example.)

> What is it about the Sigma that you do not like that you think Canon glass
> will be all that much better?

I have used Sigma exclusively in the past, but am now converting to Canon at
all focal lengths. I am much happier with the image quality from Canon
lenses, especially L series. Contrast and colour are superior, and there is
less aberration and vignetting. I am not criticising Sigma - they generally
offer good lenses for the price. It's just that I have found I get far
better results using Canon lenses and now I'm prepared to stump up the cash.

> Unless you are hiding inside a panel truck lenses like this are not
> exactly inconspicuous for candid shooting . . .

My understanding of a candid photo is one that's informal and unposed. The
physical size of a lens shouldn't matter - I'm not taking "secret" shots. I
will mostly be doing wedding candids and everybody there will know what I am
up to!

Many thanks.

Marten

"embee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eh2evd$js7$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
>
> I'm using a Canon 1DMkIIN and my main lens is a 24-105mm L. I'm very happy
> with this setup for most of my work. When I need a longer focal length I
> currently rely on my 70-500mm Sigma, which has served me adequately in the
> past. However, I would like to invest in a better piece of glass
> (particulary for candids, sport and the occassional wildlife shot). I
> would like to buy an L series lens which has stabilisation.
>
> I'm considering the EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM, with a 2x extender or the EF
> 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM.
>
> I know I am not the first person to make this choice, but I wondered if
> anybody here would be kind enough to share their experience of either/both
> of these lenses to help me evaluate my best option.
>
> Many thanks.

The EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM is a fabulous lens for candid portrait work at
weddings and other gatherings. With f2.8 you can get beautiful bokeh.

embee

"Marten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> The EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM is a fabulous lens for candid portrait work at
> weddings and other gatherings. With f2.8 you can get beautiful bokeh.

Thank you for that - do you have any experience of using it with a 2x
converter? I must admit, this is the lens I would choose if it wasn't for
the fact I sometimes need more reach.

Internet - Intranet Data Dilema asdf ASP .Net 5 02-10-2006 04:07 PM
A hell of a dilema Mike Digital Photography 25 11-21-2004 06:09 PM
Re: Dilema 3991 Richard C. DVD Video 4 06-20-2004 03:00 AM
Dilema 9900 randy@optonline.net Digital Photography 0 06-17-2004 04:13 PM
Dilema FujiFilm FinePix S304 ??????????????? Krkec Digital Photography 3 08-24-2003 10:33 PM

Advertisments