Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Copyright - ugh ugh ugh

Copyright - ugh ugh ugh

Steve

http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html

At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
is subject to copyright protection.

--

The government is unresponsive to the needs of the little man.
Under 5'7" it is impossible to get your congressman on the phone.

....Woody Allen

Jonathan Kamens

At the Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, Connecticut, they also have
a booth where you can pose with a bird on your shoulder, but
they explicitly allow people to take their own pictures in
addition to buying the pictures taken by their photographer.

I wonder if this is because their both is in a somewhat dark
area, so it's hard for amateurs to get good photos, so more
people end up buying the photographer's. At an outdoor fair
on a nice day, it wouldn't be that difficult for an amateur to
get a decent picture of a kid with a bird, so they probably
sell a lot fewer pictures, which might lead them to ask people
not to take their own pictures.

Or, alternatively, they're just greedy.

--
Help stop the genocide in Darfur!
http://www.genocideintervention.net/

PTravel

news(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html
>
> At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
> to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
> Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
> birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
> COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
> everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
> is subject to copyright protection.

There is no such thing as a "copyright protected area," nor is a live bird
protected by copyright. You could have safely ignored the sign.

> --
>
> The government is unresponsive to the needs of the little man.
> Under 5'7" it is impossible to get your congressman on the phone.
>
> ...Woody Allen

AustinMN

Steve wrote:
> http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html
>
> At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
> to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
> Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
> birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
> COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
> everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
> is subject to copyright protection.

Who was paying for the booth? Typically, fair booths have to rent the
space they occupy as well as pay for the booth itself, and, in this
case, pay for the birds and their upkeep. Do the other booths (food,
crafts, etc.) expect you to pay, or do they give their products and
services away for free?

The only person who's brainwashed here is the one who expects something
for nothing when it comes to photography.

Austin

Philippe

AustinMN wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>>http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html
>>
>>At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
>>to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
>>Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
>>birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
>>COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
>>everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
>>is subject to copyright protection.

> Who was paying for the booth? Typically, fair booths have to rent the
> space they occupy as well as pay for the booth itself, and, in this
> case, pay for the birds and their upkeep. Do the other booths (food,
> crafts, etc.) expect you to pay, or do they give their products and
> services away for free?
>
> The only person who's brainwashed here is the one who expects something
> for nothing when it comes to photography.
>
> Austin

I'd have to disagree in just about *any* situation other than this one..
Here, the product being sold *was* pictures with the pretty birds, so
allowing you to take pictures with the pretty birds on your own would
have been counterproductive for the booth owners. Odds are the birds
weren't 'right in the open' where you could have zoom access to them;
you'd likely have to have gone 'into' their area to get a good shot?

P.

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

tomm42

On Oct 16, 9:09 am, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html
>
> At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
> to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
> Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
> birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
> COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
> everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
> is subject to copyright protection.
>
> --
>
> The government is unresponsive to the needs of the little man.
> Under 5'7" it is impossible to get your congressman on the phone.
>
> ...Woody Allen

First they don't want every parent firing a flash off in there booth
freaking the birds. Macaws can be very nasty when annoyed, and they
don't want a law suit when your daughter gets a bloodied ear. Other
than that it does seem that they want $10 for a 4x6. That is how they
make money. I ran a booth at some charity events photographing people
in period costumes, I would have been very annoyed if the people used
my area, my costumes and popped their own pictures. I lost a client, a
photostore doing retouching jobs, when a lot of the jobs started coming
in as proofs from weddings and novelty booths. I realized I was taking
someone elses money. You don't have to enter their booth if you don't
want too. But if you do again you don't have to buy a picture. But
taking your own picture is an infringement on their rights to make back
the money they spent on this booth. Rememnber these folks have to cover
their expenses and make a profit for the week, so if they don't get a
thousand paying customers they have lost money. Using copyright as the
reason maybe a stretch but takeing your kids picture and not paying
them is really ripping them off. Remember each of those Macaws is worth
$2500 or more.

Tom

Steve

Philippe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html
>>>At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
>>>to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
>>>Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
>>>birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
>>>COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
>>>everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
>>>is subject to copyright protection.

>> The only person who's brainwashed here is the one who expects something
>> for nothing when it comes to photography.
>>

>I'd have to disagree in just about *any* situation other than this one..
>Here, the product being sold *was* pictures with the pretty birds, so
>allowing you to take pictures with the pretty birds on your own would
>have been counterproductive for the booth owners.

True, and they could certainly put up a sign requesting no pictures.
But calling it a "copyright-protected area" is just nonsense...

--

Steve wrote:

>>>The only person who's brainwashed here is the one who expects something
>>>for nothing when it comes to photography.
>>>

>>I'd have to disagree in just about *any* situation other than this one..
>>Here, the product being sold *was* pictures with the pretty birds, so
>>allowing you to take pictures with the pretty birds on your own would
>>have been counterproductive for the booth owners.

> True, and they could certainly put up a sign requesting no pictures.
> But calling it a "copyright-protected area" is just nonsense...

True.

P.

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

Bill Funk

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 06:09:32 -0700, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html
>
>At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
>to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
>Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
>birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
>COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
>everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
>is subject to copyright protection.

My understanding of copyright law says the sign is totally
unenforceable.
The "area" can't be copyrighted.
The birds can't be copyrighted.
I will assume the vendor was selling their own photos, right?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Not Disclosed

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 06:09:32 -0700, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://feettothefire.com/2006/10/hol...a_are_win.html
>>
>> At the Fresno Fair, I was astounded to find copyright law being used
>> to prevent me from taking pictures of my daughter with a bird.
>> Specifically, at a booth where your child can pose with some colorful
>> birds, there was a sign that said PLEASE NO CAMERAS. THIS IS A
>> COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AREA. We are turning into a society where
>> everybody is so brainwashed by Hollywood that they believe everything
>> is subject to copyright protection.

> My understanding of copyright law says the sign is totally
> unenforceable.
> The "area" can't be copyrighted.
> The birds can't be copyrighted.
> I will assume the vendor was selling their own photos, right?

However like a mall, it is private property and as such they can
restrict photography, and in worse case scenario charge you with
trespassing.