Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Availability of Nikon D80 and 18-200 VR lens

Availability of Nikon D80 and 18-200 VR lens

ASAAR

On 16 Oct 2006 15:33:21 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Manzoorul Hassan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Nikon D80
>> * http://www.royalcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $569
>> * http://www.bananaboatcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $529
>> The lens is out of stock, but the camera is readily available.

> You've got to be kidding. Those links look like scam city.

The latest Popular Photography & Imaging has an editorial
(multi-page article, actually, titled Gray's Anatomy) that goes into
the pros and cons of gray market photo gear, along with one specific
example of someone that purchased a couple of Sigma lenses (24-70mm
f/2.8 DG Macro and 70-200mm f/2.8 APO HSM DG). No indication was
given that these were gray market lenses, but what's worse, to keep
Sigma from tracking the source of the lenses, the serial numbers
were removed from the lenses and replaced with invalid numbers.
This left the buyer without Sigma's 4 year warranty, which he
noticed immediately since the warranty cards had been removed from
the box. These lenses were purchased from Royal Camera.