Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best lens for 400d

best lens for 400d

David Cleland

I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d
is not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo
lens for the 400d ?

David

Charles Schuler

"David Cleland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:egu90c$a88$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
>not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
>for the 400d ?

Depends on your needs, but do consider the Canon efs-17-85 for a general
purpose lens.

David Cleland

Charles Schuler wrote:
> "David Cleland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:egu90c$a88$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>> I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
>> not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
>> for the 400d ?

> Depends on your needs, but do consider the Canon efs-17-85 for a general
> purpose lens.

it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
much as I can.

David

Charles Schuler

> it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
> much as I can.

I think you will like it a lot for family shots ... I have taken many with
that lens and have been pleased with the results.

Later, one gets into longer lenses for sports and wildlife ... those can be
very costly, but don't have to be for hobby use. And then there is the
macro issue.

OH MY, there are so many lenses and so few dollars ;>)

David Cleland

Charles Schuler wrote:
>> it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as

> Later, one gets into longer lenses for sports and wildlife ... those can be
> very costly, but don't have to be for hobby use. And then there is the
> macro issue.
>
> OH MY, there are so many lenses and so few dollars ;>)

Thanks for this - I will check out a few prices. I have a macro option
on one of my sigma lens but it is not that great to be honest. I think I
will learn with this lens and venture to macro once I understand all the
settings

David

remove

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:30:56 +0100, David Cleland
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
>much as I can.
>
>David

David,

The 18-55mm kit lens is not all that bad. You're not really going to
see much improvement until you get in the $800-1000 ballpark. I would
suggest that you play with that lens for a while and see for yourself.
In the meantime, google on lens reviews and test data before you make
a decision.

I recently broke my 18-55mm lens and was going to replace it with the
ef-s 17-85 lens, but after looking at reviews and tests, I couldn't
justify the almost $400 difference. To be sure, the 17-85 is a better
lens and has a little better long range, and if you have the money to
blow, go for it.

btw, from what I've seen in tests and experimentation, the 18-55 seems
to perform best at f/8 or 11 in most cases.

Bill

Phil Wheeler

Charles Schuler wrote:
> "David Cleland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:egu90c$a88$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>> I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
>> not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
>> for the 400d ?

> Depends on your needs, but do consider the Canon efs-17-85 for a general
> purpose lens.

I use that as my walk-around lens on my 20D .. and
overall prefer it to my 17-40 f/4 L.

Phil

Phil Wheeler

Charles Schuler wrote:
>> it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
>> much as I can.

> I think you will like it a lot for family shots ... I have taken many with
> that lens and have been pleased with the results.
>
> Later, one gets into longer lenses for sports and wildlife ... those can be
> very costly, but don't have to be for hobby use. And then there is the
> macro issue.
>
> OH MY, there are so many lenses and so few dollars ;>)

Yup .. the dSLR does have its downsides (glass
hunger!).

Phil

Joseph Meehan

David Cleland wrote:
> I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the
> 400d is not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general
> photo lens for the 400d ?
>
> David

Frankly the kit lens is very good. It is not extremely good and that
seems to be the standard these days.

For general use, that is my lens of choice. Nice range and light
weight.

The most common complaint I hear is that it feels plastic and not very
solid. That is true, it does feel plastic and not very solid. However it
produces very good results. I suggest you get the kit lens to start with
and then work from there for any additional lenses.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Stewy

In article <zLyYg.12866$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> David Cleland wrote:
> > I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the
> > 400d is not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general
> > photo lens for the 400d ?
> >
> > David

> Frankly the kit lens is very good. It is not extremely good and that
> seems to be the standard these days.
>
> For general use, that is my lens of choice. Nice range and light
> weight.
>
> The most common complaint I hear is that it feels plastic and not very
> solid. That is true, it does feel plastic and not very solid. However it
> produces very good results. I suggest you get the kit lens to start with
> and then work from there for any additional lenses.

God forbid you should put anything plastic on a 400D. You've paid big
bucks for this albatross and it'll be titanium or nuthin.