Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D200 SB800 18-200

Nikon D200 SB800 18-200

otrinh

Hello,

I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom. When
I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance,

Olivier

Dimitris M

I have the D70 + SB800. I have not this problem. But I had it with SB600.

Just in case, ensure that you have not reduce the flash power from the flash
itself OR from the camera. This second case has fool some people. In case
you don't know, the flash power can be reduced from the flash, but also from
the camera by holding the flash button and turning the front wheel. Each one
is inependent of the other, so the effect is added. For ex -1/3 EV from the
flash plus -2/3 EV from the camera, total = -1 EV. In that ex flash
display -1/3 and in the camera the indication -2/3 is visible ONLY when the
flash button is depressed. So it is very easy to forget that ajustment.
--
Dimitris M

> I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom. When
> I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
> under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 15 Oct 2006 09:33:35 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "otrinh"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom. When
>I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
>under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?

At what f.l. and distance from the camera? If you're at the very short
end, be sure to remember to pull the WA diffuser out and down over the
flash lens, this will also put the flash into WA mode. I assume you've set
iTTL mode on the camera and the flash?
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Mike Fields

"Dimitris M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have the D70 + SB800. I have not this problem. But I had it with
>SB600.
>
> Just in case, ensure that you have not reduce the flash power from the
> flash itself OR from the camera. This second case has fool some
> people. In case you don't know, the flash power can be reduced from
> the flash, but also from the camera by holding the flash button and
> turning the front wheel. Each one is inependent of the other, so the
> effect is added. For ex -1/3 EV from the flash plus -2/3 EV from the
> camera, total = -1 EV. In that ex flash display -1/3 and in the camera
> the indication -2/3 is visible ONLY when the flash button is
> depressed. So it is very easy to forget that ajustment.
> --
> Dimitris M
>

>> I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom.
>> When
>> I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
>> under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?

And to add to Dimitris' comment, the camera remembers it until
you change it (not like some things where when you switch mode,
it resets stuff). At least that is true for the D70s - I would suspect
also true for the D200.

mikey

tomm42

otrinh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom. When
> I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
> under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Olivier

Couple of things
1) the flash may not cover the 18mm on the lens I doubt this but it may
not
2) How far are the subjects from the camera, if they are too far away
they may just be beyond the strobe's reach, if you are shooting macro
the flash doen't take lens extension into count. I have had this
problem with an R1
3) Big rooms swallow flash output, even a school classroom can be too
big. I have found if the room is bigger than a large livingroom or has
ceilings over 9 feet, open up one stop in general, two if the subject
is near the end of the strobe's range.

Tom

otrinh

short distance, < 6-7 meters
not WA diffuser
yes iTTL
The only thing I can think of is the focal length, I am in the range of
100-200mm

Olivier