Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Powershot A80 - High Power Consumption

Canon Powershot A80 - High Power Consumption

pvjinesh@gmail.com

Hi,

anybody came across a problem with Camera consuming huge amount of
power ? A set of 2100 mAH cells in my canon powershot A80 gets
exhausted in 50-60 shots. Is'nt this unusual ?

Regards,
Jinesh.

airsmoothed@hotmail.com

> Hi,
>
> anybody came across a problem with Camera consuming huge amount of
> power ? A set of 2100 mAH cells in my canon powershot A80 gets
> exhausted in 50-60 shots. Is'nt this unusual ?
>
> Regards,
> Jinesh.

Sounds fairly similar to my A70, if using flash and the display
switched on.

ASAAR

On 11 Oct 2006 11:28:50 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> anybody came across a problem with Camera consuming huge amount of
> power ? A set of 2100 mAH cells in my canon powershot A80 gets
> exhausted in 50-60 shots. Is'nt this unusual ?

If you're not using the flash for most of your shots it would be
unusual for new NiMH batteries to perform that poorly. If you're
not using the flash, it might be that your batteries have lost much
of their original capacity. Most of the NiMH AA batteries sold
these days are at between 2,500 mAh and 2,750 mAh, so your 2,100 mAh
cells may just be showing their age or one of the cells might be
damaged. Many similar cameras using alkaline batteries get about
1/2 the life compared to NiMH AA cells, so try using a pair of fresh
AA alkalines. If they're good for 50 or more shots, your NiMH
rechargeables should be replaced, and the new ones should be good
for more than 100 shots, maybe as much as 200. But if the alkalines
only last for about 25 to 30 shots, the A80 may be wasting battery
power, either due to a malfunction, or the camera may be set so that
it wastes power, such as by using continuous auto-focus, assuming
that the A80 has that feature. When those 50 to 60 shots were
taken, how long was the camera powered on? Less than an hour? More
than 3 hours? Was the LCD display turned on or off?

best photos

I use "GP" 1600 and 2400.
I use Canon PS A80 and I'm sure 1600mAh it's enough for about 400 shots (LCD
turned on) and many more when the display is turned off.
I'm sure you charge too fast.
I charge cells 1600mAh about 10-12 hours (discharged as much as possible)
and 2400mAh about 14-16 hours.

Marcin
www.mybestphotos.batcave.net

Uzytkownik <(E-Mail Removed)> napisal w wiadomosci
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> anybody came across a problem with Camera consuming huge amount of
> power ? A set of 2100 mAH cells in my canon powershot A80 gets
> exhausted in 50-60 shots. Is'nt this unusual ?
>
> Regards,
> Jinesh.

pvjinesh@gmail.com

ASAAR,

thanks for ur valuable suggestions,

I my NiMH cells are brandnew and alkaline battery lasts only for as
much as 40 shots...

I normally shoot with FLASH and LCD turned on, i will get some more
shots with turning off the LCD.

~Jinesh

On 5 Nov 2006 20:01:00 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I my NiMH cells are brandnew and alkaline battery lasts only for as
> much as 40 shots...
>
> I normally shoot with FLASH and LCD turned on, i will get some more
> shots with turning off the LCD.

You're welcome. If you use the flash for *all* shots, that's
actually not too bad, as older cameras used much more battery power
than more recent models. If you turn off the LCD you will get more
shots per set of batteries or per charge, but not nearly as many
more if you don't use the flash. If you test the camera taking
pictures outdoors without using the flash, I'll bet that the number
of shots will increase dramatically, perhaps increasing by a couple
of hundred shots. Do you use the camera only for indoor shots or in
very low light?