Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: suspend and wireless network

Re: suspend and wireless network

PA Bear

Do you have a static or dynamic IP?
--
Wireless Networking-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ssoftware.mspx

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

Jeff wrote:
> I am running XP Home SP1 and am on a home wireless network. I usually do
> not shutdown my laptop when I am finished working and just close the lid
> which puts it into suspend mode. When I re-open the lid and XP restores
> itself, sometimes I am still connected to the wireless network and
> sometimes not forcing me to reboot to restore the wireless connection.
>
> Is this normal? Is there something I can do so suspending does not lose
> the wireless connection?

Jeff

I do not know.
It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.

--

Jeff McPherson
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"PA Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have a static or dynamic IP?
> --
> Wireless Networking-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>
> Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2
>
> What You Should Know About Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ssoftware.mspx
>
> AumHa Forums
> http://forum.aumha.org
>
> Jeff wrote:
> > I am running XP Home SP1 and am on a home wireless network. I usually

do
> > not shutdown my laptop when I am finished working and just close the lid
> > which puts it into suspend mode. When I re-open the lid and XP restores
> > itself, sometimes I am still connected to the wireless network and
> > sometimes not forcing me to reboot to restore the wireless connection.
> >
> > Is this normal? Is there something I can do so suspending does not lose
> > the wireless connection?

PA Bear

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack
2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870702
--
~PA Bear

Jeff wrote:
> I do not know.
> It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.
>
> "PA Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Do you have a static or dynamic IP?
> > --
> > Wireless Networking-specific newsgroup:
> >
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
> >
> > Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2
> >
> > What You Should Know About Spyware
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ssoftware.mspx
> >
> > AumHa Forums
> > http://forum.aumha.org
> >
> > Jeff wrote:
> > > I am running XP Home SP1 and am on a home wireless network. I
> > > usually do not shutdown my laptop when I am finished working and just
> > > close the lid which puts it into suspend mode. When I re-open the
> > > lid and XP restores itself, sometimes I am still connected to the
> > > wireless network and sometimes not forcing me to reboot to restore
> > > the wireless connection.
> > >
> > > Is this normal? Is there something I can do so suspending does not
> > > lose the wireless connection?

CS

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:20:52 -0400, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I do not know.
> It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.

You probably have a dynamic IP assigned to you as it would be unusual
for a provider like Comsat to assign a static IP address. To answer
the first question you posted about your laptop.....

Yes, it's normal when the laptop comes out of Standby or Suspend mode
to have to reboot to establish the wireless connection again. Mine
does the same thing although not all the time. Make sure you're not
using any additional configuration software supplied by your hardware.
XP, especially SP2 does a very good job of providing all the
configuration you'll need with the zero wireless configuration service
running.

Jeff

Thanks. I just wanted to know if it was normal. Appreciate it.

Mine also does not do it all the time - which is what actually got me
wondering.

--

Jeff McPherson
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
(E-Mail Removed)

"CS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:20:52 -0400, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I do not know.
> > It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.

> You probably have a dynamic IP assigned to you as it would be unusual
> for a provider like Comsat to assign a static IP address. To answer
> the first question you posted about your laptop.....
>
> Yes, it's normal when the laptop comes out of Standby or Suspend mode
> to have to reboot to establish the wireless connection again. Mine
> does the same thing although not all the time. Make sure you're not
> using any additional configuration software supplied by your hardware.
> XP, especially SP2 does a very good job of providing all the
> configuration you'll need with the zero wireless configuration service
> running.

Alex Kalemkeris

I would have to say its not normal to require a reboot to enable your
wireless post suspend or hibernation. I live by these two capabilities and
my wireless on my tablet with no issue. Only recently have I seen this
effect, in fact twice today, but I think its related to a install of some
VPN software that failed, and I don't think it got uninstalled all the way.

Time to go back to my last good image.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. I just wanted to know if it was normal. Appreciate it.
>
> Mine also does not do it all the time - which is what actually got me
> wondering.
>
> --
>
> Jeff McPherson
> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> "CS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:20:52 -0400, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I do not know.
>> > It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.

>> You probably have a dynamic IP assigned to you as it would be unusual
>> for a provider like Comsat to assign a static IP address. To answer
>> the first question you posted about your laptop.....
>>
>> Yes, it's normal when the laptop comes out of Standby or Suspend mode
>> to have to reboot to establish the wireless connection again. Mine
>> does the same thing although not all the time. Make sure you're not
>> using any additional configuration software supplied by your hardware.
>> XP, especially SP2 does a very good job of providing all the
>> configuration you'll need with the zero wireless configuration service
>> running.

xfile

Hi:

In my case, I don't need to reboot to resume wireless connection at my home
(DSL with Wireless Router) and at office (Leased line with Wireless Router
and Firewall). So, I guess it's not a "must". However, I am not a network
expert, so I don't know if this is related to Windows and/or it also relate
to the notebook's BIOS and wireless adopter and its driver.

Hope this will help.

"Alex Kalemkeris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would have to say its not normal to require a reboot to enable your
>wireless post suspend or hibernation. I live by these two capabilities and
>my wireless on my tablet with no issue. Only recently have I seen this
>effect, in fact twice today, but I think its related to a install of some
>VPN software that failed, and I don't think it got uninstalled all the way.
>
> Time to go back to my last good image.
>

> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks. I just wanted to know if it was normal. Appreciate it.
>>
>> Mine also does not do it all the time - which is what actually got me
>> wondering.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff McPherson
>> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> "CS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You probably have a dynamic IP assigned to you as it would be unusual
>>> for a provider like Comsat to assign a static IP address. To answer
>>> the first question you posted about your laptop.....
>>>
>>> Yes, it's normal when the laptop comes out of Standby or Suspend mode
>>> to have to reboot to establish the wireless connection again. Mine
>>> does the same thing although not all the time. Make sure you're not
>>> using any additional configuration software supplied by your hardware.
>>> XP, especially SP2 does a very good job of providing all the
>>> configuration you'll need with the zero wireless configuration service
>>> running.

Sumjo Yoo Donoe

It's not normal to have to reboot after suspend.

I've seen this problem also, and only since installing XP service pack 2. I
haven't found a permanent solution yet (haven't tried actually), but I have
found a workaround that's quicker than rebooting.

If you open a DOS window and type "ipconfig /renew" it should re-establish
the wireless connection.

I don't know what's causing this or how to permanently fix it, but the
workaround so far has been easy enough so that I'm not worrying about it too
much.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. I just wanted to know if it was normal. Appreciate it.
>
> Mine also does not do it all the time - which is what actually got me
> wondering.
>
> --
>
> Jeff McPherson
> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> "CS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:20:52 -0400, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I do not know.
>> > It's cable connection through Comsat and it is WEP enabled.

>> You probably have a dynamic IP assigned to you as it would be unusual
>> for a provider like Comsat to assign a static IP address. To answer
>> the first question you posted about your laptop.....
>>
>> Yes, it's normal when the laptop comes out of Standby or Suspend mode
>> to have to reboot to establish the wireless connection again. Mine
>> does the same thing although not all the time. Make sure you're not
>> using any additional configuration software supplied by your hardware.
>> XP, especially SP2 does a very good job of providing all the
>> configuration you'll need with the zero wireless configuration service
>> running.

Peter Bui[MS]

Typically, problems with a wireless interface after resuming from a suspend
or hibernate are due to the NIC driver. Be sure that you have the
manufacturer's latest driver. Another option you can try is utilizing the
"Repair" function whenever you have any sort of problem (such as not
receiving a DHCP IP address properly) by right clicking over the wireless
icon and selecting "Repair". The repair function is quite adept at
recovering from these types of driver-related issues.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...