Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo quality printer recommendation ?

Photo quality printer recommendation ?

chrisu

Hi,

I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
ink cartridges.

does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).

Priorities
1 Quality
2 reliable
3 low running costs

Pete D

"chrisu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
> ink cartridges.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras are
> all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>
> Priorities
> 1 Quality
> 2 reliable
> 3 low running costs
>
> --

Canon IP5200 or IP4200, I have an IP5200R (has ethernet and wireless as
well) and does excellent prints.

Bigguy

Canon Pixma iP5200 and similar - excellent quality, very good for inks.

Guy

"chrisu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
> ink cartridges.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras are
> all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>
> Priorities
> 1 Quality
> 2 reliable
> 3 low running costs

tomm42

On Oct 9, 7:09 am, chrisu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
> ink cartridges.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
> are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>
> Priorities
> 1 Quality
> 2 reliable
> 3 low running costs

You didn't say what size printer you need. I have been researching
13x19 printers and the three that keep coming up for best quality
prints are the Epson 2400, Epson R1800 and the HP B9180 (this printer
has been out in reviews only so ink usage is a question). That said
most photo printers guzzle inks, you just need alot of ink to do a
photo where you have almost 100% coverage on a piece of paper. Most
documents are in the range of 10-20% coverage. Best way to save on inks
is to get a printer with ink tanks instead of replaceable cartridges
that include some portion of the print head.
The printers I have listed use pigment based inks, these inks are known
for longevity, they have a life span longer than a chemical photo
print. If you choose to buy a printer that uses dye based inks, as do
most printers, you sacrifice print life, though by buying papers
designed for dye inks you can get decent lifespan from the prints. This
is mostly using the papers the manufacturer recommends, but certain
papers like Ilford Gallerie Classic (only the classic) are designed to
work with dye based printers.

Tom

POHB

chrisu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
> ink cartridges.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
> are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).

Upload your pictures to a photo printing site and get them printed on
multi-thousand pound printers. The one I use will do 6x4 for 5p each
and they usually arrive in the post the next day.

chrisu

POHB wrote:
> chrisu wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
>>good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
>>ink cartridges.
>>
>>does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
>>are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).

> Upload your pictures to a photo printing site and get them printed on
> multi-thousand pound printers. The one I use will do 6x4 for 5p each
> and they usually arrive in the post the next day.

good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
chrisu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
> ink cartridges.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
> are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>
> Priorities
> 1 Quality
> 2 reliable
> 3 low running costs
>
> --

What size images? What level of quality? Odds are, the lowest cost
option to print photos is to have them done at one of the online
services such as Snapfish, ofoto, or just Walgreen's, Costco, or Target.

If you want to print your own archival quality images, the only way to
go is Epson at this time.

POHB

chrisu wrote:
> good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

Why only for bulk printing?

THO

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
chrisu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
> ink cartridges.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
> are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>
> Priorities
> 1 Quality
> 2 reliable
> 3 low running costs
>
> --

What's your budget? What is your experience level with photography and
what size prints do you want to make?

chrisu

THO wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> chrisu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>>I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
>>good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
>>ink cartridges.
>>
>>does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
>>are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>>
>>Priorities
>>1 Quality
>>2 reliable
>>3 low running costs
>>
>>--

> What's your budget? What is your experience level with photography and
> what size prints do you want to make?

all good questions - i should have been more specific.

budget £100s (but not too many) and not £1000s

proficient amateur - long experience with digital and photoshop etc

A4 big enough - if I want bigger I'll get it done professionally.

having read some reviews the canon 5200 is looking likely but i'm open
to suggestions.

regards.........Chris
--
1976 Z900, 1980 Z1R, 1973 Beamish suzuki, 1976 GT250, 2000 ZRX1200