Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo quality printer recommendation ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Photo quality printer recommendation ?

 
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006

"POHB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> chrisu wrote:
>> good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

>
> Why only for bulk printing?
>


Where are you getting them done for 5p?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
Shawn Hirn wrote:
<snip>
>
> If you want to print your own archival quality images, the only way to
> go is Epson at this time.


HP and Canon dye ink printers on OEM papers can be archival.
HP (B9180) Z2100/3100 series and Canon iPF5000 (& 9500 13" model to be
released later this year / early 2007?) are archival pigment ink printers.

There are now other ways to go.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sheldon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006

Pete D wrote:
> "POHB" wrote:
> > chrisu wrote:
> >> good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

> >
> > Why only for bulk printing?
> >

>
> Where are you getting them done for 5p?


I think Pete means like a couple dozen different prints, not a big
bunch all the same. It doesn't pay to order just one or two prints but
most of the e-photo shops have pretty good deals going all the time on
roll equivalents.

I have the Cannon Pixma ip400, it's great when I want a couple-three
prints like right now but it does eat up ink (and can really be costly
when experimenting with various sizes and edits), so for roll
equivalents I send off to one of the e-photo shops like York, Snapfish,
etal.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006

"frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1160424654.272299@ftpsrv1...
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> If you want to print your own archival quality images, the only way to go
>> is Epson at this time.

>
> HP and Canon dye ink printers on OEM papers can be archival.
> HP (B9180) Z2100/3100 series and Canon iPF5000 (& 9500 13" model to be
> released later this year / early 2007?) are archival pigment ink printers.
>
> There are now other ways to go.


Yes both the IP4200 and IP5200 use the Chrome 100 inks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
tomm42 wrote:
> HP B9180 (this printer
> has been out in reviews only so ink usage is a question).


It uses ink at about the same rate/price per print as Epson.
A user "OOB" experience is logged here:
http://www.cliffaddy.com/b9180.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Crocker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006

"chrisu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
> ink cartridges.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras are
> all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>
> Priorities
> 1 Quality
> 2 reliable
> 3 low running costs
>
> --


Consider Canon's PIXMA iP6600D.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=11864

Bill Crocker


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006

"Bill Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
> "chrisu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
>> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
>> ink cartridges.
>>
>> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
>> are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>>
>> Priorities
>> 1 Quality
>> 2 reliable
>> 3 low running costs
>>
>> --

>
> Consider Canon's PIXMA iP6600D.
> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=11864
>
> Bill Crocker

Does the 6600D use achival inks?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Sheppard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
>>Upload your pictures to a photo printing site and get them printed on
>>multi-thousand pound printers. The one I use will do 6x4 for 5p each
>>and they usually arrive in the post the next day.

I did a birthday tea for my kid sister on Sunday and was able to send her
home with a wadge of photos to show her friends that evening. Sometimes
home printing wins whatever the economics.

I add my vote to those who go with the Canon Pixma range. Admittedly I've
not really given the competition a chance having only ever owned a Canon
(I'm on my second one) but I've never had cause to wish I owned a different
brand. I chose it for economy of consumables. I don't use OEM print
cartridges because I am perfectly satisfied with the results I get from
unbranded ones and I can get a complete set of refills (that's three colour
and two blacks) for under 12 UK pounds.

Keith



 
Reply With Quote
 
POHB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
Pete D wrote:
>
> Where are you getting them done for 5p?


OK, they only do them at 5p for runs of 500 or more, but I am getting
them for 7p each even for tiny runs by pre-purchasing credits at
photobox

 
Reply With Quote
 
chrisu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2006


Pete D wrote:
> "chrisu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
>>good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
>>ink cartridges.
>>
>>does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras are
>>all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
>>
>>Priorities
>>1 Quality
>>2 reliable
>>3 low running costs
>>
>>--

>
>
> Canon IP5200 or IP4200, I have an IP5200R (has ethernet and wireless as
> well) and does excellent prints.
>
>

bought
set up
nice quality
thanks


--
1976 Z900, 1980 Z1R, 1973 Beamish suzuki, 1976 GT250, 2000 ZRX1200
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommendation for HP Photo printer Sam Digital Photography 6 05-23-2004 08:24 AM
Photo quality printer recommendation BIGEYE Digital Photography 17 05-13-2004 04:34 AM
Re: Help! Photo quality printer recommendation Boomer Computer Support 0 05-07-2004 02:36 AM
I Need a Recommendation, Cheap, Top Quality Printer Charles Digital Photography 8 08-12-2003 11:50 AM



Advertisments