Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

"Rita ─ Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:
>
>> this one is similar like that credit cards can be erased by having
>> them in a wallet made of ....certain electric fish skin.... (can't
>> remember name...) it was on Discovery channel (mythbusters) and it
>> was totally busted.

> I really like Mythbusters, but they have so many holes in the way they
> test
> things that sometimes they do a disservice to a particular myth.

yeah...but it's fun to watch...no matter what....right?

Mark▓

Frank ess wrote:
> Mark▓ wrote:
>> Creative wrote:
>>> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
>>> camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag
>>> does
>>> not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are
>>> designed
>>> for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera
>>> in,
>>> and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical charge that
>>> has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks etc.
>>>
>>> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera
>>> bags, but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory
>>> sticks
>>> that had probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's
>>> memory stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured
>>> prior
>>> to the digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if
>>> it
>>> is possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an
>>> old
>>> bag?
>>> Thanks for your help.

>> Never do business with that man again.
>> He is either entirely ignorant, or entirely dishonest.
>>
>> Either of the above are sufficient cause to avoid him.

> In my erstwhile cohort we called this kind of guy a "LSOS"; lying sack
> of stuff.

My only wish for people like that is that they get what's coming to
them...such as bankruptcy...at the hands of someone with a similar lack of
decency. If the piranhas would only eat EACH OTHER...I wouldn't mind
swimming with them... (actually, I DID use to swim with them in Colombia, S.
A.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

THO

In article <4528a39c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Creative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
> as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
> cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> data from memory sticks etc.
>
> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>
> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
> to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>
> Thanks for your help.

What's the name and town of the store where this was said. Other photogs
would surely love to know.

Bobert

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Ben Brugman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Then you should be worried.
> On average 3000 to 4000 people are killed each year by a meteorite. *)

And, by averages, every person has one testicle.

--
Mia culpa, mia culpa, mia maxima culpa
Jimmy Buffet

Bob
in Carmel, CA

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
THO <(E-Mail Removed).23.invalid> wrote:

> In article <4528a39c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Creative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
> > as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with
> > digital
> > cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> > bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> > data from memory sticks etc.
> >
> > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> > but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> > probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
> > stick
> > to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> > camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> > anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

> What's the name and town of the store where this was said. Other photogs
> would surely love to know.

My fridge mysteriously empties of beer whenever the wife and I get our
14 year old babysitter over... Is this relevant?

Bill Funk

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:28:38 +0900, Stewy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> THO <(E-Mail Removed).23.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <4528a39c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Creative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
>> > as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
>> > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with
>> > digital
>> > cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
>> > bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
>> > data from memory sticks etc.
>> >
>> > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
>> > but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
>> > probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
>> > stick
>> > to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
>> > camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
>> > anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.

>> What's the name and town of the store where this was said. Other photogs
>> would surely love to know.

>My fridge mysteriously empties of beer whenever the wife and I get our
>14 year old babysitter over... Is this relevant?

Yup.
We don't want to hire that babysitter, either.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Rod Williams

THO wrote:
> In article <4528a39c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Creative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
>>as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
>>anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
>>cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
>>bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
>>data from memory sticks etc.
>>
>>Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
>>but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
>>probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>>
>>Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
>>to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
>>camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
>>anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>>
>>Thanks for your help.

> What's the name and town of the store where this was said. Other photogs
> would surely love to know.

Since everyone else has a dumb ass comment I assume they don't have a
answer to your question. I find it highly unlikely, an electrical charge
coming from putting the camera in and out of a bag would erase it. I
guess anything is possible but it sounds to me like the camera dealer
was trying to sell you a new bag.

THO

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Stewy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> THO <(E-Mail Removed).23.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <4528a39c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Creative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera
> > > bag
> > > as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> > > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with
> > > digital
> > > cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> > > bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> > > data from memory sticks etc.
> > >
> > > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> > > but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> > > probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
> > > stick
> > > to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> > > camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> > > anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.

> > What's the name and town of the store where this was said. Other photogs
> > would surely love to know.

> My fridge mysteriously empties of beer whenever the wife and I get our
> 14 year old babysitter over... Is this relevant?

Damn right the store name is relevant. Suggesting that camera bags can
erase memory cards is so preposterous that it can only be suggestive of
a store that engages in fraudulent behavior. Photography equipment is
expensive and as photographers, we need to know who the con artists are.

THO

In article <g9cXg.5556$ic1.3688@trndny06>,
Rod Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> THO wrote:
> > In article <4528a39c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Creative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
> >>as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> >>anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with
> >>digital
> >>cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> >>bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> >>data from memory sticks etc.
> >>
> >>Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> >>but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> >>probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
> >>
> >>Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
> >>stick
> >>to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> >>camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> >>anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
> >>
> >>Thanks for your help.

> > What's the name and town of the store where this was said. Other photogs
> > would surely love to know.

> Since everyone else has a dumb ass comment I assume they don't have a
> answer to your question. I find it highly unlikely, an electrical charge
> coming from putting the camera in and out of a bag would erase it. I
> guess anything is possible but it sounds to me like the camera dealer
> was trying to sell you a new bag.

You're providing an answer that has already been provided. There was
nothing dumb-ass about my question. The salesman sounds like a con
artist and photographers need to know who the stores are that engage in
this activity.

Mark▓

Rod Williams wrote:
> THO wrote:
>> In article <4528a39c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Creative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
>>> camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag
>>> does not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are
>>> designed for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the
>>> camera in, and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical
>>> charge that has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks
>>> etc. Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera
>>> bags, but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory
>>> sticks that had probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's
>>> memory stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured
>>> prior to the digital camera era? Although I think he is having me
>>> on, if it is possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk
>>> with an old bag? Thanks for your help.

>> What's the name and town of the store where this was said. Other
>> photogs would surely love to know.

> Since everyone else has a dumb ass comment I assume they don't have a
> answer to your question. I find it highly unlikely, an electrical
> charge coming from putting the camera in and out of a bag would erase
> it. I guess anything is possible but it sounds to me like the camera
> dealer was trying to sell you a new bag.

Why do you slam people's answers only to give a nearly identical answer to
what they gave???

erase vs. erase al.cpwn@gmail.com C++ 7 03-30-2006 11:45 AM
How do i erase all information in my orkut and erase the link to the orkut account? mountbatten@gmail.com Computer Support 1 10-31-2005 12:03 AM
Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice? Dierk Haasis Digital Photography 1 08-27-2003 05:43 PM
Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice? Biker Dave Digital Photography 4 08-27-2003 08:09 AM
How do I erase a file that wont let me erase it? Dale Custer Computer Support 4 07-06-2003 09:48 AM

Advertisments