Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

Marvin

Creative wrote:
> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
> as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
> cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> data from memory sticks etc.

Static electric discharges would also damage film.

Ben Brugman

> Seriously, I'd be more worried about being hit by a meteorite.

Then you should be worried.
On average 3000 to 4000 people are killed each year by a meteorite. *)

B e n

*)
This average is based on a meteorite big enough to kill half the earth's
population crashing every milion years.

Ron Hunter

Creative wrote:
> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
> as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
> cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> data from memory sticks etc.
>
> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>
> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
> to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Not something I have ever heard of. If one worries about this
potential, just keep the cards wrapped up, or store them in plastic
containers.
He was trying to sell a new bag.

Creative

"Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:egad3h$n8m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Creative <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
> : stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the
> : digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is
> : possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>
> : Thanks for your help.
>
> You now know who's advice to not trust. This is one person who will always
> put increasing profit over being conciencious about their customer.
>
> If memory cards were that poorly designed that this low level of static
> would cause damage, every card you have would blow up every time a thunder
> storm passed overhead. Yes there is a small amount of static that can be
> built up with the friction of inserting the camera and replacing it. But
> you can actually generate much more static by pulling a strip of tape from
> a roll of cellophane tape. And don't forget that if this is that much of a
> problem you must avoid wearing any clothing that could rub against itself
> or your skin and build a charge. Also never walk over carpeting.
>
> If you are really that nervous, about a static charge in your camera bag,
> there are several brands of anti static sprays for clothing or fabrics. Or
> just keep an anti static fabric softener sheet in the bag. Also since
> staic is much more prevalent in a dry humidity situation, just keep a
> moist spongue in your bag to keep the interior air moist.
>
> The most vulnerable time for a stray electric charge to damage a memory
> card is when it is seperate from the camera and being handled. If the
> handler has a charge on their person, and touch one or more of the contact
> points, and other contacts contact a grounding surface it might be
> possible to jolt the card, but you would really have to try to do this
> kind of damage.

Thanks very much Randy and for all the other replies given to this question.
I have certainly experienced the situation where I have walked across a
carpeted room and then touched a metal filing cabinet and received a
noticeable electric shock. But as I don't know of any reports of memory
sticks being erased by static charges from any sources, I guess there really
isn't any need to get worried over a possibility that is so remote! I guess
that cameras and memory sticks must be fairly robustly designed so that they
can withstand low level static charges without damage? Even if a card was
erased as a result of static electricity, I guess recovery experts could
reinstate the images. Nevertheless, I suppose it does no harm to be aware of
such possibilities, even if they are as remote as being hit by a stray
comet!

MarkČ

Creative wrote:
> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
> camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does
> not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed
> for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera in,
> and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical charge that
> has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks etc.
>
> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera
> bags, but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks
> that had probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>
> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's
> memory stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior
> to the digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it
> is possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old
> bag?
> Thanks for your help.

Never do business with that man again.
He is either entirely ignorant, or entirely dishonest.

Either of the above are sufficient cause to avoid him.

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Ben Brugman wrote:
>> Seriously, I'd be more worried about being hit by a meteorite.

> Then you should be worried.
> On average 3000 to 4000 people are killed each year by a meteorite. *)
>

> B e n
>
> *)
> This average is based on a meteorite big enough to kill half the
> earth's population crashing every milion years.

Aren't statistics great??

Lawyers love 'em.

www.pbase.com/markuson

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:

> this one is similar like that credit cards can be erased by having
> them in a wallet made of ....certain electric fish skin.... (can't
> remember name...) it was on Discovery channel (mythbusters) and it
> was totally busted.

I really like Mythbusters, but they have so many holes in the way they test
things that sometimes they do a disservice to a particular myth.

Rita

ASAAR

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:53:28 +1300, Creative wrote:

> I guess there really isn't any need to get worried over a possibility
> that is so remote! I guess that cameras and memory sticks must be
> fairly robustly designed so that they can withstand low level static
> charges without damage?

They really are pretty robust, and most silicon devices contain
circuits that protect against the buildup of static charges. But
even if that wasn't the case, they'd be protected while inserted in
the camera or while stored in a protective case or wallet. There
*might* be some risk if loose memory cards were placed into a bag
and allowed to be randomly tossed around. In this case, while the
risk of damage would increase, I think that most of it would be due
to physical damage, not due to static electricity.

Sander

Creative wrote:

> Even if a card was
> erased as a result of static electricity, I guess recovery experts could
> reinstate the images.

I don't think so.

In the very very very VERY unlikely event you would lose images on flash
memory because of static electricity the memory will not be erased but
the flash chips themselves will be permanently damaged.

Sander

Frank ess

MarkČ wrote:
> Creative wrote:
>> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
>> camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag
>> does
>> not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are
>> designed
>> for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera
>> in,
>> and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical charge that
>> has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks etc.
>>
>> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera
>> bags, but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory
>> sticks
>> that had probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's
>> memory stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured
>> prior
>> to the digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if
>> it
>> is possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an
>> old
>> bag?
>> Thanks for your help.

> Never do business with that man again.
> He is either entirely ignorant, or entirely dishonest.
>
> Either of the above are sufficient cause to avoid him.

In my erstwhile cohort we called this kind of guy a "LSOS"; lying sack
of stuff.

--
Frank ess

erase vs. erase al.cpwn@gmail.com C++ 7 03-30-2006 11:45 AM
How do i erase all information in my orkut and erase the link to the orkut account? mountbatten@gmail.com Computer Support 1 10-31-2005 12:03 AM
Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice? Dierk Haasis Digital Photography 1 08-27-2003 05:43 PM
Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice? Biker Dave Digital Photography 4 08-27-2003 08:09 AM
How do I erase a file that wont let me erase it? Dale Custer Computer Support 4 07-06-2003 09:48 AM

Advertisments