Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monster Glass

Monster Glass

JohnR66

When enough just ain't enough...
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When enough just ain't enough...
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
5" cannon or something?

-dms

SimonLW

"Daniel Silevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> When enough just ain't enough...
>> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

> I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
> even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
> 5" cannon or something?
>
> -dms

Hell, I'm wondering how you move such a thing around given its over 500
pound weight!
Considering its on a 6x6 'Blad, field of view is around that of a 850mm lens
on 35mm or about 500mm lens on a APS sensored digital SLR, so in a way, you
can get there from here : )
-S

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > When enough just ain't enough...
> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

> I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
> even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
> 5" cannon or something?
>
> -dms

It had no tripod mount on the lens. There are two gimbal mount points on
the side of the lens. Those are the white round things sticking out the
sides. Looking at them at Photokina you could not see any threads in
them either.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Bill Funk

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:25:12 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> When enough just ain't enough...
>> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

>I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
>even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
>5" cannon or something?
>
>-dms

You're very close. That white protrusion is a trunion mount; there's
another on the other side.
And, just like with some cannons, there's a "Y"-shaped mount, that
those trunions fit in.
The Y-mount then swivels.
That thing must weigh a lot!
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Paul Allen

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:25:12 GMT
Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > When enough just ain't enough...
> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

> I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much
> for even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a
> war-surplus 5" cannon or something?

That would be one approach. Back in the early 70's the amateur
astronomy club I belonged to built a 12" f/6 reflecting telescope
and mounted it on a military surplus gun mount with a U-shaped yoke.
It was installed under a rotating canvas dome on top of an old
radar tower at the abandoned Nike missile site near the town of
Poulsbo in Washington State. It was most definitely not portable.
I'm pretty sure that scope and everything connected with it are long
gone now, but the guy who made the mirror (Bob Mathews) still has a
custom optics business in the area.

Just on a long shot, does anybody here remember the Olympic Astronomical
Society from the early 70's? A club with that name had a booth at the
Kitsap County Fair a few years back, but the kids staffing it didn't
remember any of the old-timer names I dropped.

Paul Allen

John Turco

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > When enough just ain't enough...
> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

> I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
> even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
> 5" cannon or something?
>
> -dms

Hello, Daniel:

No photography-related pun intended, with your '5" cannon' remark?

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Daniel Silevitch

On 06 Oct 2006 04:27:12 EDT, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > When enough just ain't enough...
>> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pho...c/IMG_0919.jpg

>> I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
>> even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
>> 5" cannon or something?
>>
>> -dms

> Hello, Daniel:
>
> No photography-related pun intended, with your '5" cannon' remark?

Heh. No, no pun intended.

-dms