Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Used canned air on my dSLR sensor and there are residues on the sensor, what to do now?

Used canned air on my dSLR sensor and there are residues on the sensor, what to do now?

Sandy Barrie

Hi,

bought a packet ofthose wet swabbs "sensor Cleaners" called 'Green Clean'

did the best job I have ever seen.. My canon 20D originaly had to have
the sensor replaced by canon, under warranty, becuse they Could not get
specs out that had gon under the covering glass high pass filter.

If the 'item' is on top, then these wet cleaners seem to work wonders,
when used as directed...

Regards

Sandy

Hoover wrote:
> You're screwed
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>>I made the horrible mistake of using compressed air to clean some dust
>>on my sensor but eventhough I was holding it up-right there was some
>>liquid that came out of it, now I am stuck with some residues on the
>>sensor and they are very noticeable on all the pictures.
>>I found a lot of warnings now that I am searching for a solution, but
>>there is no posts about what to do if you have already done it :S
>>
>>Any comments on this?
>>
>>thanks.
>>
>>PS. Nikon d50 was the victim.

Jock

I had the same result [canned air residue] with my Pentax. I sent it to the
service folk 'cause I cbf cleaning it with swabs & stuff. It pays to be
careful with canned air to the point of not even using it. As mentioned,
use a manual bulb blower thing - they are good I believe.
Good luck
Jock
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I made the horrible mistake of using compressed air to clean some dust
> on my sensor but eventhough I was holding it up-right there was some
> liquid that came out of it, now I am stuck with some residues on the
> sensor and they are very noticeable on all the pictures.
> I found a lot of warnings now that I am searching for a solution, but
> there is no posts about what to do if you have already done it :S
>
> Any comments on this?
>
> thanks.
>
> PS. Nikon d50 was the victim.

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any comments on this?

I'll refrain from the obvious. Send the camera to Nikon in Melville or
El Segundo, pay what they ask, and don't DO that anymore.

eyalnevo@gmail.com

Scott Schuckert wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Any comments on this?

> I'll refrain from the obvious. Send the camera to Nikon in Melville or
> El Segundo, pay what they ask, and don't DO that anymore.

or sell the camera on Ebay like everybody else

Bill

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Scott Schuckert wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > Any comments on this?

>> I'll refrain from the obvious. Send the camera to Nikon in Melville
>> or
>> El Segundo, pay what they ask, and don't DO that anymore.

> or sell the camera on Ebay like everybody else

Or better yet, go to any camera store and buy one of the cheap sensor
cleaning kits with methanol fluid and swipes (around $35-50 depending
on kit). Hopefully the methanol will get the gunk off the sensor. You
may have to clean it a few times if the gunk is really nasty.

Read up on sensor cleaning first at a site like this:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/