Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The end is near for 35mm? Or is it? When is the end?

The end is near for 35mm? Or is it? When is the end?

John Turco

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

> "Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> > And, vinyl is only making a comeback because it's easier to DJ with
> > it, not because people are 'discovering' it to be better than digital.

> Exactly. Vinyl is really terrible if you actually play your records, because
> the highs go away and get replaced by noise after three playings.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Hello, David:

Very interesting. Doesn't your turntable have an adjustable tone arm, to
help prevent such rapid damage?

Or, perhaps, did Sigma branch out into audio equipment, when nobody was
looking?

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

George Kerby wrote:

> On 10/2/06 3:00 PM, in article efrro2$e2o$(E-Mail Removed), "David J.
> Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Exactly. Vinyl is really terrible if you actually play your records, because
> > the highs go away and get replaced by noise after three playings.
> >

> I was in a high-end Audio store the other day and the saleman put on a
> scratchy-looking lp. He told me not to laugh, but listen. It was one of the
> most vibrant and filling recordings that I have ever heard. Better than
> anything CD, cassette, etc. The only problem was that the turntable was
> $12.5K and the stylus/cartridge was almost 2 grand. Just goes to show you
> that if you pay enough for something, maybe, just maybe, it might work
> correctly. I found that to be true in dishwashers. Me, I'm listening to my
> iPod...

Hello, George:

There's no need to spend thousands of dollars, simply to fully enjoy
vinyl records. As an example, I bought a brand-new Fisher MT-275
direct-drive phonograph, for about $70, in 1991.

It's big, heavy and well made. Most important of all, of course, I'm
confident its sound quality could rival the insanely-overpriced device,
that your "high-end Audio store" is now trying to unload on elitist
audiophiles. <g>

The MT-275 is a damned nice machine, regardless!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bill Funk

On 06 Oct 2006 04:27:06 EDT, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
>>
>> "Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><edited, for brevity>
>
>> > And, vinyl is only making a comeback because it's easier to DJ with
>> > it, not because people are 'discovering' it to be better than digital.

>> Exactly. Vinyl is really terrible if you actually play your records, because
>> the highs go away and get replaced by noise after three playings.
>>
>> David J. Littleboy
>> Tokyo, Japan

>Hello, David:
>
>Very interesting. Doesn't your turntable have an adjustable tone arm, to
>help prevent such rapid damage?
>
>Or, perhaps, did Sigma branch out into audio equipment, when nobody was
>looking?
>

>Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

The very act of playing a vinyl record damages it; the stylus, by
necessity, presents forces that will scratch the grooves unless the
whole thing is in a clean room.
I had a Garrard Zero 100 turntable that minimized the tangental
tracking forces, but even then, any dust at all would damage the
groove.
My solution was to record the album onto tape, and play the tape
instead of the album. I had a 7 1/2" recorder that was pretty good (I
don't remember the model), and the albums lasted until our daughter
discoverd them.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

George Kerby

On 10/6/06 3:27 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "John
Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> George Kerby wrote:
>>
>> On 10/2/06 3:00 PM, in article efrro2$e2o$(E-Mail Removed), "David J.
>> Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Exactly. Vinyl is really terrible if you actually play your records, because
>>> the highs go away and get replaced by noise after three playings.
>>>

>> I was in a high-end Audio store the other day and the saleman put on a
>> scratchy-looking lp. He told me not to laugh, but listen. It was one of the
>> most vibrant and filling recordings that I have ever heard. Better than
>> anything CD, cassette, etc. The only problem was that the turntable was
>> $12.5K and the stylus/cartridge was almost 2 grand. Just goes to show you
>> that if you pay enough for something, maybe, just maybe, it might work
>> correctly. I found that to be true in dishwashers. Me, I'm listening to my
>> iPod...

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

> Hello, George:
>
> There's no need to spend thousands of dollars, simply to fully enjoy
> vinyl records. As an example, I bought a brand-new Fisher MT-275
> direct-drive phonograph, for about $70, in 1991.
>
> It's big, heavy and well made. Most important of all, of course, I'm
> confident its sound quality could rival the insanely-overpriced device,
> that your "high-end Audio store" is now trying to unload on elitist
> audiophiles. <g>
>
> The MT-275 is a damned nice machine, regardless!
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Hey John,

No I'm not about to buy something like that! But it was impressive, I admit.
I mean there were highly visible scratches on the vinyl that went completely
unheard. The salesman attributed it to the shape of the needle, allowing it
to play a deeper level in the groove. I'm not am audiophile, so I don't
know. Perhaps it rest of the equipment was more advanced than my stuff:
Yamaha P-450 turntable and Sony STRD2020 receiver from mid 80's. I got too
many cameras/lenses/computers to waste money on. They can keep the damn
turntable!

Regards!

Frank ess

Bill Funk wrote:
> On 06 Oct 2006 04:27:06 EDT, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
>>>
>>> "Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> <edited, for brevity>

>>> Exactly. Vinyl is really terrible if you actually play your
>>> records, because the highs go away and get replaced by noise after
>>> three playings.
>>>
>>> David J. Littleboy
>>> Tokyo, Japan

>> Hello, David:
>>
>> Very interesting. Doesn't your turntable have an adjustable tone
>> arm, to help prevent such rapid damage?
>>
>> Or, perhaps, did Sigma branch out into audio equipment, when nobody
>> was looking?
>>

>> Cordially,
>> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

> The very act of playing a vinyl record damages it; the stylus, by
> necessity, presents forces that will scratch the grooves unless the
> whole thing is in a clean room.
> I had a Garrard Zero 100 turntable that minimized the tangental
> tracking forces, but even then, any dust at all would damage the
> groove.
> My solution was to record the album onto tape, and play the tape
> instead of the album. I had a 7 1/2" recorder that was pretty good
> (I
> don't remember the model), and the albums lasted until our daughter
> discoverd them.

I see Costco is offering a turntable with USB output, presumably to
your choice of formats:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11171944&search=turntable&Sp=S &Mo=0&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_Sig nDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All &Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=turntable&Ntt=tu rntable&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav =&s=1
OR
http://tinyurl.com/j6cbf

Just like slide and film digitization: more decisions and drudgery.

--
Frank ess

John Turco

Bill Funk wrote:

> On 06 Oct 2006 04:27:06 EDT, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> The very act of playing a vinyl record damages it; the stylus, by
> necessity, presents forces that will scratch the grooves unless the
> whole thing is in a clean room.
> I had a Garrard Zero 100 turntable that minimized the tangental
> tracking forces, but even then, any dust at all would damage the
> groove.
> My solution was to record the album onto tape, and play the tape
> instead of the album. I had a 7 1/2" recorder that was pretty good (I
> don't remember the model), and the albums lasted until our daughter
> discoverd them.
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"

Hello, Bill:

Oh, I agree. I just thought a decent phonograph shouldn't trash a disc,
after a paltry three playings.

Incidentlly, back in the 1980's, I vaguely recall hearing of turntables
which used a laser (or an LED?), instead of a needle. I never looked
into the issue, but it's obvious that such CD-like technology never
became prevalent; too bad, as it would've solved the problem of record
wear.

Still, as you said, copying onto to tape is a good idea. VHS Hi-Fi decks
are ideal for this application, as they combine superb audio quality
with the convenience of cassettes.

Furthermore, CD's, hard drives, flash memory devices and other storage
alternatives exist, today.

Whether any of those can replicate the "warm" sound of vinyl, which some
audiophiles covet, is a different matter, entirely. :-J

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

George Kerby wrote:

> On 10/6/06 3:27 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "John
> Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> > Hello, George:
> >
> > There's no need to spend thousands of dollars, simply to fully enjoy
> > vinyl records. As an example, I bought a brand-new Fisher MT-275
> > direct-drive phonograph, for about $70, in 1991.
> >
> > It's big, heavy and well made. Most important of all, of course, I'm
> > confident its sound quality could rival the insanely-overpriced device,
> > that your "high-end Audio store" is now trying to unload on elitist
> > audiophiles. <g>
> >
> > The MT-275 is a damned nice machine, regardless!
> >

> > Cordially,
> > John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Hey John,
>
> No I'm not about to buy something like that! But it was impressive, I admit.
> I mean there were highly visible scratches on the vinyl that went completely
> unheard. The salesman attributed it to the shape of the needle, allowing it
> to play a deeper level in the groove. I'm not am audiophile, so I don't
> know. Perhaps it rest of the equipment was more advanced than my stuff:
> Yamaha P-450 turntable and Sony STRD2020 receiver from mid 80's. I got too
> many cameras/lenses/computers to waste money on. They can keep the damn
> turntable!
>
> Regards!

Hello, George:

Yes, in addition to the high-end amplifier and speakers the phonograph
was probably playing through, it's likely that the store's listing
rooms (if any) were acoustically optimized. These enhancements aren't
typically available, to the average audio enthusiast.

I'm with you, however, and prefer to "waste" my cash on PC/video/photo
stuff. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bill Funk

On 07 Oct 2006 09:08:29 EDT, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>>
>> On 06 Oct 2006 04:27:06 EDT, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><edited, for brevity>
>
>> The very act of playing a vinyl record damages it; the stylus, by
>> necessity, presents forces that will scratch the grooves unless the
>> whole thing is in a clean room.
>> I had a Garrard Zero 100 turntable that minimized the tangental
>> tracking forces, but even then, any dust at all would damage the
>> groove.
>> My solution was to record the album onto tape, and play the tape
>> instead of the album. I had a 7 1/2" recorder that was pretty good (I
>> don't remember the model), and the albums lasted until our daughter
>> discoverd them.
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"

>Hello, Bill:
>
>Oh, I agree. I just thought a decent phonograph shouldn't trash a disc,
>after a paltry three playings.
>
>Incidentlly, back in the 1980's, I vaguely recall hearing of turntables
>which used a laser (or an LED?), instead of a needle. I never looked
>into the issue, but it's obvious that such CD-like technology never
>became prevalent; too bad, as it would've solved the problem of record
>wear.

I had a friend who had one of those; normally, it worked fine, but on
those records with the groove off-center (where the head could be seen
moving from left to right constantly) this one had problems tracking.

>Still, as you said, copying onto to tape is a good idea. VHS Hi-Fi decks
>are ideal for this application, as they combine superb audio quality
>with the convenience of cassettes.
>
>Furthermore, CD's, hard drives, flash memory devices and other storage
>alternatives exist, today.
>
>Whether any of those can replicate the "warm" sound of vinyl, which some
>audiophiles covet, is a different matter, entirely. :-J

It's been my understanding that this "warmth" is distortion. :-0

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

g n p

>>Whether any of those can replicate the "warm" sound of vinyl, which some
>>audiophiles covet, is a different matter, entirely. :-J

> It's been my understanding that this "warmth" is distortion. :-0
>

>>Cordially,
>> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

> --
> Bill Funk