Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Virtual Visit of Cannes on the French Riviera

Virtual Visit of Cannes on the French Riviera

Philippe Laval

Hello,

If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).

http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/

Feedback is welcome.
Thanks

Philippe

Jer

Philippe Laval wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>
> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>
> Feedback is welcome.
> Thanks
>
> Philippe

Nice panos - thanks for passing along, but I do have one question... do
you use the clone tool to hide all the litter? I've tried it for shots
here in the U.S. and each shot takes weeks to get rid of it all.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

John McWilliams

Philippe Laval wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>
> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>
> Feedback is welcome.
> Thanks

Very nicely done! I especially like the one done on the street side of
the Ritz, with a few people looking at the camera, and everyone else
going about their business.

Once you've set up your tripod and pano head, how long does it take to
execute all the frames?

--
John McWilliams

Philippe Laval

John McWilliams a écrit :
> Philippe Laval wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
>> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>>
>> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>> Thanks

> Very nicely done! I especially like the one done on the street side of
> the Ritz, with a few people looking at the camera, and everyone else
> going about their business.

Thank you.

Did you take time to visit other villages or Nice ?

> Once you've set up your tripod and pano head, how long does it take to
> execute all the frames?

Well the more time consuming part is to setup the tripod
You have to level the panoramic head with an air buble to be sure that
the panorma is well horizontal.

Then you look at high light and low light in the panorama to figure out
the exposure. I usually expose for high light (with no or some over
exposure in part that is not important for the picture).
I only have to take 10 pictures to cover the whole 360° * 180°. It take
between 2 and 5 minutes maybe. It mostly depend if a lot of people are
present on the picture or not in fact.

Philippe

Philippe Laval

Jer a écrit :
> Philippe Laval wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
>> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>>
>> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>> Thanks
>>
>> Philippe
>>

> Nice panos - thanks for passing along, but I do have one question... do
> you use the clone tool to hide all the litter? I've tried it for shots
> here in the U.S. and each shot takes weeks to get rid of it all.

Well making a panorama like the one I have shown take between 10 min (if
you are lucky) to few hours (in most case - I should not be lucky enough
).

I don't have to use the clone tool. I have the 8 picture on 8 layers.
I paint on the layer mask to let the good part of the image be present
on the final image.

Did you want a link for a tutorial showing the whole process ?

Philippe

Morton Linder

Philippe Laval wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>
> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>
> Feedback is welcome.
> Thanks
>
> Philippe

Cher Philippe,

Your pictures are magnificent, and bring back many memories of trips to
Cannes from our home near New York City. These trips started when ***
Michelin Guide restaurants such as The Oasis and Baumaniere and Auberge
du Pere Bise cost about $12.00 for a full meal with wine. We always
enjoyed the twin shops of Ernest in Cannes, with the wonderful pates and
the great baked goods.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work.

Morton Linder

Bill K

Philippe Laval wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>
> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>
> Feedback is welcome.
> Thanks
>
> Philippe

Wonderrful work, Philippe. You obviously put a lot of effort and talent
into them. Do you have any of the beach at St. Tropez? I have very fond
memories of that beach.
--
Bill

John McWilliams

Philippe Laval wrote:
> John McWilliams a écrit :
>> Philippe Laval wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
>>> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>>>
>>> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>>>
>>> Feedback is welcome.
>>> Thanks

>> Very nicely done! I especially like the one done on the street side of
>> the Ritz, with a few people looking at the camera, and everyone else
>> going about their business.

> Thank you.
>
> Did you take time to visit other villages or Nice ?

Je n'ai pas, jamais, a ete present au Midi. (sob, sob. That's my
fractured French, << sans accents>> for saying I've never been there.

>> Once you've set up your tripod and pano head, how long does it take to
>> execute all the frames?

> Well the more time consuming part is to setup the tripod
> You have to level the panoramic head with an air buble to be sure that
> the panorma is well horizontal.
>
> Then you look at high light and low light in the panorama to figure out
> the exposure. I usually expose for high light (with no or some over
> exposure in part that is not important for the picture).
> I only have to take 10 pictures to cover the whole 360° * 180°. It take
> between 2 and 5 minutes maybe. It mostly depend if a lot of people are
> present on the picture or not in fact.

Many thanks. What camera and lens?

--
John McWilliams

Philippe Laval

> Many thanks. What camera and lens?

Nikon D200 + 10.5 mm

Philippe Laval

Bill K a écrit :
> Philippe Laval wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you like to take some time to visit Cannes on the French Riviera,
>> I have posted some panoramas (QT VR or java).
>>
>> http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Cannes/
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>> Thanks
>>
>> Philippe

> Wonderrful work, Philippe. You obviously put a lot of effort and talent
> into them. Do you have any of the beach at St. Tropez? I have very fond
> memories of that beach.

Sorry not yet. That is planned for next year.