Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Batch Photo Editing Software Recommendations

Batch Photo Editing Software Recommendations

Matt

Hi All, I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time, but I've
actually got a question that hopefully someone can help me with, or point me
in a direction to somewhere better to ask...

Currently, to alter photographs I-
1) Pull them from my camera (2mp Canon Ixus V2)
2) Resize the image using the resizer in windows power toys (Typically 700
pixels by 525 pixels, jpg's)
3) I then manually open the image (.jpg) in Adobe Photoshop, and 'select
all' and 'copy'
4) Then I paste the image as a layer into a different Photoshop (.psd)
document that has a watermark
5) Then I save the file with a specific file name for web page use (.jpg)

As you can imagine, this is a long and laborious task and I'm looking for a
program, software or similar that can shorten this procedure, and hopefully
batch process the files and sequentially filename them. Anyone any
recommendations and/or tips?

Many thanks for any and all help, and apologises if this has been asked
before, I couldn't locate anything relevant in a search

Studio271

I've never personally dabbled in it, but I know Photoshop has a "Batch"
processing function that can be customized (it also has a few presets,
but none of the ones I have seem to do watermarking).

Perhaps do a little research on Adobe's site and/or the Photoshop
Manual and see what they say about it?

-Drew

Matt wrote:
> Hi All, I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time, but I've
> actually got a question that hopefully someone can help me with, or point me
> in a direction to somewhere better to ask...
>
> Currently, to alter photographs I-
> 1) Pull them from my camera (2mp Canon Ixus V2)
> 2) Resize the image using the resizer in windows power toys (Typically 700
> pixels by 525 pixels, jpg's)
> 3) I then manually open the image (.jpg) in Adobe Photoshop, and 'select
> all' and 'copy'
> 4) Then I paste the image as a layer into a different Photoshop (.psd)
> document that has a watermark
> 5) Then I save the file with a specific file name for web page use (.jpg)
>
> As you can imagine, this is a long and laborious task and I'm looking for a
> program, software or similar that can shorten this procedure, and hopefully
> batch process the files and sequentially filename them. Anyone any
> recommendations and/or tips?
>
> Many thanks for any and all help, and apologises if this has been asked
> before, I couldn't locate anything relevant in a search

John McWilliams

Matt wrote:
> Hi All, I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time, but I've
> actually got a question that hopefully someone can help me with, or point me
> in a direction to somewhere better to ask...
>
> Currently, to alter photographs I-
> 1) Pull them from my camera (2mp Canon Ixus V2)
> 2) Resize the image using the resizer in windows power toys (Typically 700
> pixels by 525 pixels, jpg's)
> 3) I then manually open the image (.jpg) in Adobe Photoshop, and 'select
> all' and 'copy'
> 4) Then I paste the image as a layer into a different Photoshop (.psd)
> document that has a watermark
> 5) Then I save the file with a specific file name for web page use (.jpg)
>
> As you can imagine, this is a long and laborious task and I'm looking for a
> program, software or similar that can shorten this procedure, and hopefully
> batch process the files and sequentially filename them. Anyone any
> recommendations and/or tips?
>
> Many thanks for any and all help, and apologises if this has been asked
> before, I couldn't locate anything relevant in a search

PS can do all this. You can create an action, or use pre-made ones,
depending on the version you have. Which is.....?

--
John McWilliams

Paul Mitchum

Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi All, I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time, but I've
> actually got a question that hopefully someone can help me with, or point me
> in a direction to somewhere better to ask...
>
> Currently, to alter photographs I-
> 1) Pull them from my camera (2mp Canon Ixus V2)
> 2) Resize the image using the resizer in windows power toys (Typically 700
> pixels by 525 pixels, jpg's)
> 3) I then manually open the image (.jpg) in Adobe Photoshop, and 'select
> all' and 'copy'
> 4) Then I paste the image as a layer into a different Photoshop (.psd)
> document that has a watermark
> 5) Then I save the file with a specific file name for web page use (.jpg)
>
> As you can imagine, this is a long and laborious task and I'm looking for a
> program, software or similar that can shorten this procedure, and hopefully
> batch process the files and sequentially filename them. Anyone any
> recommendations and/or tips?
>
> Many thanks for any and all help, and apologises if this has been asked
> before, I couldn't locate anything relevant in a search

You should check out ImageMagick. It's a set of command-line tools that
can resize and compose images. Composing will allow you put a watermark
on any image.

Viz:
<http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/gr...ating/#waterma
rking>

Learn it once, make a script, and run the script when you need it.

ImageMagick is free and easy to obtain.

Matt

Excellent, thankyou i'll look into that

Matt

"Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
news:1hmbzwt.1le76r6z9dxtlN%(E-Mail Removed)0m...
> Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi All, I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time, but
>> I've
>> actually got a question that hopefully someone can help me with, or point
>> me
>> in a direction to somewhere better to ask...
>>
>> Currently, to alter photographs I-
>> 1) Pull them from my camera (2mp Canon Ixus V2)
>> 2) Resize the image using the resizer in windows power toys (Typically
>> 700
>> pixels by 525 pixels, jpg's)
>> 3) I then manually open the image (.jpg) in Adobe Photoshop, and 'select
>> all' and 'copy'
>> 4) Then I paste the image as a layer into a different Photoshop (.psd)
>> document that has a watermark
>> 5) Then I save the file with a specific file name for web page use (.jpg)
>>
>> As you can imagine, this is a long and laborious task and I'm looking for
>> program, software or similar that can shorten this procedure, and
>> hopefully
>> batch process the files and sequentially filename them. Anyone any
>> recommendations and/or tips?
>>
>> Many thanks for any and all help, and apologises if this has been asked
>> before, I couldn't locate anything relevant in a search

> You should check out ImageMagick. It's a set of command-line tools that
> can resize and compose images. Composing will allow you put a watermark
> on any image.
>
> Viz:
> <http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/gr...ating/#waterma
> rking>
>
> Learn it once, make a script, and run the script when you need it.
>
> ImageMagick is free and easy to obtain.

Matt

Hi, thanks for your reply, i'm not at my computer at the moment, but from
memory its photoshop cs

Thanks

Matt

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Matt wrote:
>> Hi All, I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time, but
>> I've actually got a question that hopefully someone can help me with, or
>> point me in a direction to somewhere better to ask...
>>
>> Currently, to alter photographs I-
>> 1) Pull them from my camera (2mp Canon Ixus V2)
>> 2) Resize the image using the resizer in windows power toys (Typically
>> 700 pixels by 525 pixels, jpg's)
>> 3) I then manually open the image (.jpg) in Adobe Photoshop, and 'select
>> all' and 'copy'
>> 4) Then I paste the image as a layer into a different Photoshop (.psd)
>> document that has a watermark
>> 5) Then I save the file with a specific file name for web page use (.jpg)
>>
>> As you can imagine, this is a long and laborious task and I'm looking for
>> a program, software or similar that can shorten this procedure, and
>> hopefully batch process the files and sequentially filename them. Anyone
>> any recommendations and/or tips?
>>
>> Many thanks for any and all help, and apologises if this has been asked
>> before, I couldn't locate anything relevant in a search

> PS can do all this. You can create an action, or use pre-made ones,
> depending on the version you have. Which is.....?
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Matt

Thanks, i didn't know that, i'll look into it

Matt

"Studio271" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> I've never personally dabbled in it, but I know Photoshop has a "Batch"
> processing function that can be customized (it also has a few presets,
> but none of the ones I have seem to do watermarking).
>
> Perhaps do a little research on Adobe's site and/or the Photoshop
> Manual and see what they say about it?
>
> -Drew
>

> Matt wrote:
>> Hi All, I've been a lurker on this newsgroup for quite some time, but
>> I've
>> actually got a question that hopefully someone can help me with, or point
>> me
>> in a direction to somewhere better to ask...
>>
>> Currently, to alter photographs I-
>> 1) Pull them from my camera (2mp Canon Ixus V2)
>> 2) Resize the image using the resizer in windows power toys (Typically
>> 700
>> pixels by 525 pixels, jpg's)
>> 3) I then manually open the image (.jpg) in Adobe Photoshop, and 'select
>> all' and 'copy'
>> 4) Then I paste the image as a layer into a different Photoshop (.psd)
>> document that has a watermark
>> 5) Then I save the file with a specific file name for web page use (.jpg)
>>
>> As you can imagine, this is a long and laborious task and I'm looking for
>> program, software or similar that can shorten this procedure, and
>> hopefully
>> batch process the files and sequentially filename them. Anyone any
>> recommendations and/or tips?
>>
>> Many thanks for any and all help, and apologises if this has been asked
>> before, I couldn't locate anything relevant in a search

eustin

To change the size of the images for e-mail, web publishing
you can go to this site and download the Batch Photo Resizer.
http://www.softorbits.com/batch_picture_resize
This new program can help you to resize a large groups of photos at
once or protect
your photos using watermars.