Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Clarity of photo on web page

Clarity of photo on web page

Mike P.

When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
publish on web page.
( See example at hyperlink below)
CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

Jim Townsend

Mike P. wrote:

> When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
> ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
> Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
> publish on web page.
> ( See example at hyperlink below)
> CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
> http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

It's tough to say what's happening.

What were the pixel dimensions before you resized it?

What software are you using?

Can you post a 'before' and 'after' image?

David Ruether

> When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
> ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
> Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
> publish on web page.
> ( See example at hyperlink below)
> CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
> http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

A little contrast-brightness adjustment and especially
unsharp-mask sharpening helps (see attachment on
the email I sent you of the modified image - and
compare it with your original uploaded image...).
--
David Ruether
(E-Mail Removed)

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>, Mike
P. says...
> When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
> ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
> Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
> publish on web page.
> ( See example at hyperlink below)
> CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
> http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

It looks a bit too compressed at 14 KByte.
--

Alfred Molon

Jim

"Mike P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
> ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
> Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
> publish on web page.
> ( See example at hyperlink below)
> CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
> http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

"only step I took was reducing image to publish on web page."
is the cause of the problem. There simply aren't enough pixels present in
the image.
Jim

JohnR66

"Mike P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
> ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
> Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
> publish on web page.
> ( See example at hyperlink below)
> CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
> http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

Not exactly what you mean, it looks sharp to me!

When you resize, you loose information. Try this, Photograph a newspaper
page at 3 feet. Any properly functioning camera should produce readable text
in the image. Now, down sample the image to 640x480. The text turns to blobs
of grey.

I usually sharpen the image a bit after downsizing. The algorithm for
downsampling doesn't just take every few pixes and toss out the rest in
between, it sort of averages the group of pixes and combines it to one. To
help reduce alaising in the downsample the algorithm may soften the image a
bit. Thus, sharpening may help.

JPEG compression. Your image has lots of artifacts around objects in the
image. You might lessen the strength of compression, but not too much to
make downloading slow. Afterall, it is for Web use.

John

Marvin

Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>, Mike
> P. says...
>
>>When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
>>ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
>>Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
>>publish on web page.
>> ( See example at hyperlink below)
>>CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
>>http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

> It looks a bit too compressed at 14 KByte.

jpeg compression artifacts are usually most visible in the
sky as banding. I don't see it in this photo. The photo is
displayed on my monitor at 74 ppi, which is typical. It
can't be expected to show a lot of detail.

David Ruether

"Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alfred Molon wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>, Mike P. says...

>>>When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
>>>ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
>>>Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
>>>publish on web page.
>>> ( See example at hyperlink below)
>>>CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
>>>http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww...ylighthou.html

>> It looks a bit too compressed at 14 KByte.

> jpeg compression artifacts are usually most visible in the sky as banding. I don't see it in this photo.

I don't either, and even re-jpg'ing the OP's image after modifying it
by opening up the midrange a bit, increasing the color saturation,
and sharpening it with unsharp-masking, it shows little effect
from compression artifacting (which usually shows up as "wubbling"
in small areas immediately around contrasty details in the smooth
tone areas of the photo, like the sky...).
--
David Ruether
(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

> The photo is displayed on my monitor at 74 ppi, which is typical. It can't be expected to show a lot of detail.

Bill Hilton

>Mike P. wrote:
> When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
> ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
> Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
> publish on web page.

The diagonal lines for the parking spaces look 'stepped' or aliased to
me, like the reduction step was done wrong. What software are you
using to downsample? Even with Photoshop you have different resampling
options and I'd guess you'll get something like this with 'nearest
neighbor' or similar whereas 'bicubic sharper' will do a better job.

Maybe crop out a section of the parking lot space lines and work with
that using various downsampling methods until the lines look clean and
not stepped ...

Bill

CLARITY-HDR and Microsoft's HD Photo Comparison Trellis Management Digital Photography 0 08-06-2007 04:11 PM
Seeking clarity on asp.net threading James T ASP .Net 1 04-21-2005 09:10 AM
Capacity and display clarity of IPod Photo Mac's Photo Ipod Digital Photography 2 01-04-2005 10:55 PM
Re: Finally! Clarity. Miles HTML 1 07-28-2003 02:14 PM
Re: Finally! Clarity. William Tasso HTML 0 07-26-2003 01:00 PM

Advertisments