Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson 3800 Large Format printer formally announced

Epson 3800 Large Format printer formally announced

Wayne J. Cosshall

Hi All,

Epson has announced the new 3800 large format printer. Details are at:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=687>

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
of Design
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

MarkČ

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Epson has announced the new 3800 large format printer. Details are at:
> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=687

Seems to be sort of a scaled-down 4800 printer.
-30 pounds lighter, and a smaller footprint, yet still does 17" wide.
From the picture, it didn't appear to have the big paper-handling, though
(large built-in roll feeder, and enclosed/expanding paper tray to handle
full 17x22" sheets.

Personally, one of the most attractive things about the 4800/4000 (I have
the 4000) is it's industrial-strength build, and the built-in large-scale
paper handling. Without that, it's value diminishes.

That they limit it to 80ml ink carts is a bit troubling. Perhaps size was
simply too limiting.
The 4800 & up can take either 110ml or double that...with 220ml
arts. -Huge capacity...

The ability to print on glossy paper is a plus.
We'll see...

-MarkČ

> Cheers,
>
> Wayne
>
> Wayne J. Cosshall
> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
> Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
> http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
> Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian
> Academy of Design
> Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

www.pbase.com/markuson

Wayne J. Cosshall

MarkČ wrote:

> Seems to be sort of a scaled-down 4800 printer.
> -30 pounds lighter, and a smaller footprint, yet still does 17" wide.
> From the picture, it didn't appear to have the big paper-handling, though
> (large built-in roll feeder, and enclosed/expanding paper tray to handle
> full 17x22" sheets.
>
> Personally, one of the most attractive things about the 4800/4000 (I have
> the 4000) is it's industrial-strength build, and the built-in large-scale
> paper handling. Without that, it's value diminishes.
>
> That they limit it to 80ml ink carts is a bit troubling. Perhaps size was
> simply too limiting.
> The 4800 & up can take either 110ml or double that...with 220ml
> arts. -Huge capacity...
>
> The ability to print on glossy paper is a plus.
> We'll see...
>
> -MarkČ

Trying to hit a new price point to open up new markets in the face of
stronger competition from HP and Canon, I would guess. Always a place
for more choice.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

Paul Rubin

"Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Trying to hit a new price point to open up new markets in the face of
> stronger competition from HP and Canon, I would guess. Always a place
> for more choice.

Why don't any of these things offer continuous inking systems? It
would be such a huge competitive attraction (at least if the
manufacturer is really trying to sell printers, rather than use them
as a giveaway vehicle to help them sell ink) that it almost seems like
a conspiracy that they've all refrained.

MarkČ

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Trying to hit a new price point to open up new markets in the face of
>> stronger competition from HP and Canon, I would guess. Always a place
>> for more choice.

> Why don't any of these things offer continuous inking systems? It
> would be such a huge competitive attraction (at least if the
> manufacturer is really trying to sell printers, rather than use them
> as a giveaway vehicle to help them sell ink) that it almost seems like
> a conspiracy that they've all refrained.

The others nearly are continuous ink systems...with their 220ml carts.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Paul Rubin

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
> The others nearly are continuous ink systems...with their 220ml carts.

Hmm, well I thought the idea of continuous ink is that you can use
bulk ink without the manufacturer shaking fingers at you. Don't they
charge a fortune for those carts? It looks like an 220ml Epson cart
is around $85 discounted, or $386/liter, vs. about $25/liter for
gallon bottles from refill places.

Ben Thomas

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Trying to hit a new price point to open up new markets in the face of
>> stronger competition from HP and Canon, I would guess. Always a place
>> for more choice.

> Why don't any of these things offer continuous inking systems? It
> would be such a huge competitive attraction (at least if the
> manufacturer is really trying to sell printers, rather than use them
> as a giveaway vehicle to help them sell ink) that it almost seems like
> a conspiracy that they've all refrained.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they sell printers to
sell ink. Not long ago there was a Lexmark that cost more to refill
than to buy including new ink.

--
Ben
Lyric of the week: "This the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

Paul Rubin

Ben Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they sell printers to
> sell ink. Not long ago there was a Lexmark that cost more to refill
> than to buy including new ink.

That's some throwaway consumer printer, not a large format printer
some of which go into five figure price tags.

frederick

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Trying to hit a new price point to open up new markets in the face of
>> stronger competition from HP and Canon, I would guess. Always a place
>> for more choice.

> Why don't any of these things offer continuous inking systems? It
> would be such a huge competitive attraction (at least if the
> manufacturer is really trying to sell printers, rather than use them
> as a giveaway vehicle to help them sell ink) that it almost seems like
> a conspiracy that they've all refrained.

HP's last results:
$90 billion turnover
$4.5 billion profit from selling ink and toner
$1 billion profit from selling everything else

Ben Thomas

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Ben Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they sell printers to
>> sell ink. Not long ago there was a Lexmark that cost more to refill
>> than to buy including new ink.

> That's some throwaway consumer printer,

Literally.

> not a large format printer
> some of which go into five figure price tags.

According to the sales figures in another post in this thread, the point
I was trying to illustrate is valid.