Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > got the FZ7

got the FZ7

Tippi

After surfing sites, reading magazines and asking here, my choice of
camera narrowed down to the Panasonic FZ7 and KM Z5. I actually like
the look and feel of the Z5, but when I tried both at the store with
the same SD card that I own, the Z5 took about 3 seconds to write the
image, whereas the FZ7 took like half a second. One worry that I had
was the use of proprietary battery for the FZ7, I couldn't just pop in
store bought batteries, but since it recharges so fast (2 hrs.) that
seems to be less of a concern now. Yes in low light it does tend to be
noisy, but it's something I can live with as I won't need to print
large photos. Otherwise I'm enjoying it a lot!

I ruled out Sony because of Memory stick, Canon because it is more
expensive and something else - think was it slow focusing in low light.

David J Taylor

Tippi wrote:
> After surfing sites, reading magazines and asking here, my choice of
> camera narrowed down to the Panasonic FZ7 and KM Z5. I actually like
> the look and feel of the Z5, but when I tried both at the store with
> the same SD card that I own, the Z5 took about 3 seconds to write the
> image, whereas the FZ7 took like half a second. One worry that I had
> was the use of proprietary battery for the FZ7, I couldn't just pop in
> store bought batteries, but since it recharges so fast (2 hrs.) that
> seems to be less of a concern now. Yes in low light it does tend to be
> noisy, but it's something I can live with as I won't need to print
> large photos. Otherwise I'm enjoying it a lot!
>
> I ruled out Sony because of Memory stick, Canon because it is more
> expensive and something else - think was it slow focusing in low
> light.

I'm sure the folk in rec.photo.digital.zlr would be interested in your
findings now, and in the future.

Cheers,
David

Dave

On 24 Sep 2006 19:57:48 -0700, "Tippi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After surfing sites, reading magazines and asking here, my choice of
>camera narrowed down to the Panasonic FZ7 and KM Z5. I actually like
>the look and feel of the Z5, but when I tried both at the store with
>the same SD card that I own, the Z5 took about 3 seconds to write the
>image, whereas the FZ7 took like half a second. One worry that I had
>was the use of proprietary battery for the FZ7, I couldn't just pop in
>store bought batteries, but since it recharges so fast (2 hrs.) that
>seems to be less of a concern now. Yes in low light it does tend to be
>noisy, but it's something I can live with as I won't need to print
>large photos. Otherwise I'm enjoying it a lot!
>
>I ruled out Sony because of Memory stick, Canon because it is more
>expensive and something else - think was it slow focusing in low light.

I'm seriously considering the FZ7 too. I currently have a Kodak
DX6490 which I really like, but I think IS would help out with a lot
of my long shots. One of the first things I got for the Kodak was an
extra battery so I always had 2 if I was going to be out for a while.
Rarely do I need the second battery, but it has been used.

I've downloaded some of the "noisy" test photos from the review sites,
and after playing around with Noise Ninja the quality of the image is
plenty good for my needs.

I've also looked at the Canon S3 IS and I didn't care for the feel or
the controls, and I liked the larger LCD on the FZ7. It just didn't
seem worth the extra $100.

Dave