Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280

Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280

mike

Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
Need to build a cable.
Yes, I have the serial pinout.
Yes, I have a card reader.
What I need is the USB info.
Thanks, mike

Matt Ion

mike wrote:
> Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
> Need to build a cable.
> Yes, I have the serial pinout.
> Yes, I have a card reader.
> What I need is the USB info.
> Thanks, mike

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

mike

Matt Ion wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
>> Need to build a cable.
>> Yes, I have the serial pinout.
>> Yes, I have a card reader.
>> What I need is the USB info.
>> Thanks, mike

> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Thanks,

When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
for the end that plugs into the camera.
It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
connector.

mike

Matt Ion

mike wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> mike wrote:
>>
>>> Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
>>> Need to build a cable.
>>> Yes, I have the serial pinout.
>>> Yes, I have a card reader.
>>> What I need is the USB info.
>>> Thanks, mike

>> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

> Thanks,
>
> When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
> I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
> for the end that plugs into the camera.
> It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
> connector.

Well that's just crazy design... the whole point of USB (well, part of it
anyway) is to get away from needing a plethora of proprietary connectors for
everything (I'm still amazed it took celphone makers so long to use a standard
USB plug for phone software - I've got a half-dozen different cables for a
half-dozen different phones, three of them the same brand).

Sorry, don't think I can help ya there, then... I'd call up Kodak and give them
an earful...

FWIW, I googled "kodak dc280 usb pinouts" and got a ton of hits - including one
at the site above - showing the actual pinouts of the DIN plug, but all them
appear to connect to a standard DB9 serial port (which was a lot more common
"back in the day"). You can't connect that directly into a USB port, however -
you'd need to use a USB-to-DB9 serial adapter, which typically have, I believe,
some sort of buffer circuitry - they're not just straight-through wires.

mike

Matt Ion wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion wrote:

>>> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

>> Thanks,
>>
>> When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
>> I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
>> for the end that plugs into the camera.
>> It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
>> connector.

> Well that's just crazy design... the whole point of USB (well, part of
> it anyway) is to get away from needing a plethora of proprietary
> connectors for everything (I'm still amazed it took celphone makers so
> long to use a standard USB plug for phone software - I've got a
> half-dozen different cables for a half-dozen different phones, three of
> them the same brand).
>
> Sorry, don't think I can help ya there, then... I'd call up Kodak and
> give them an earful...
>
> FWIW, I googled "kodak dc280 usb pinouts" and got a ton of hits -
> including one at the site above - showing the actual pinouts of the DIN
> plug, but all them appear to connect to a standard DB9 serial port
> (which was a lot more common "back in the day"). You can't connect that
> directly into a USB port, however - you'd need to use a USB-to-DB9
> serial adapter, which typically have, I believe, some sort of buffer
> circuitry - they're not just straight-through wires.

Dunno what to tell you. I know how to use a search engine and wouldn't
have asked here if I had found the answer.

There are unused pins on the serial socket. Maybe other pins are usb.

I have also had cameras that used the same pins and somehow detected
which protocol you wanted.

I'm too lazy to reverse engineer it when
anyone with the camera could tell from an ohm-meter and the supplied usb
cable. I'm betting there ain't nothin' but wire and plugs.
mike

Fred Martin

mike wrote:

> Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
> Need to build a cable.
> Yes, I have the serial pinout.
> Yes, I have a card reader.
> What I need is the USB info.
> Thanks, mike

Here it is:
http://pinouts.ru/DevicesCables/koda...l_pinout.shtml

.....Fred

Jimmy

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
> Need to build a cable.
> Yes, I have the serial pinout.
> Yes, I have a card reader.
> What I need is the USB info.
> Thanks, mike

For $20+ shipping you can have a new one. Can you build for much less than
this?
http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.j...gory=EKN006595

Jimmy

>> Thanks, mike

> For $20+ shipping you can have a new one. Can you build for much less
> than this?
> http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.j...gory=EKN006595

The Kodak cable item #8112690 works on the following models:
DC220
DC240
DC260
DC265
DC280
DC290
DC3400
DC5000

Found this one at B&H for $12.95+ shipping. Please note the mfgr number is
the same as the Kodak number so it should fit.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=214685

Matt Ion

mike wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> mike wrote:

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
>>> I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
>>> for the end that plugs into the camera.
>>> It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
>>> connector.

>> Well that's just crazy design... the whole point of USB (well, part of
>> it anyway) is to get away from needing a plethora of proprietary
>> connectors for everything (I'm still amazed it took celphone makers so
>> long to use a standard USB plug for phone software - I've got a
>> half-dozen different cables for a half-dozen different phones, three
>> of them the same brand).
>>
>> Sorry, don't think I can help ya there, then... I'd call up Kodak and
>> give them an earful...
>>
>> FWIW, I googled "kodak dc280 usb pinouts" and got a ton of hits -
>> including one at the site above - showing the actual pinouts of the
>> DIN plug, but all them appear to connect to a standard DB9 serial port
>> (which was a lot more common "back in the day"). You can't connect
>> that directly into a USB port, however - you'd need to use a
>> USB-to-DB9 serial adapter, which typically have, I believe, some sort
>> of buffer circuitry - they're not just straight-through wires.

> Dunno what to tell you. I know how to use a search engine and wouldn't
> have asked here if I had found the answer.

Well, search results can vary widely depending on the terms used. I found your
answer right there: http://pinouts.ru/DevicesCables/koda...l_pinout.shtml

> There are unused pins on the serial socket. Maybe other pins are usb.

I doubt it... the DC280 is an older camera, from the early days of USB... the
fact that it comes with a DB9 cable is telling.

> I have also had cameras that used the same pins and somehow detected
> which protocol you wanted.

Well, maybe the DC280 does too then. Wire it up and see. The link above shows
you the ground, Tx and Rx pins on the camera plug; the earlier link shows the
pins on a USB connector. I claim no repsonsibility if your camera and/or USB
hub go up in smoke.

Ron Baird

Greetings Mike,

I believe this is what you need. Let me know if you have questions.

USB port specifications are as follows:
a.. Full-speed, 12 Mbps signalling.
b.. Bulk data transfers.
c.. Pin configuration: