Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rebel XTi .CR2 files/Apple Aperture incompatibility?

Rebel XTi .CR2 files/Apple Aperture incompatibility?

Ken Lucke

Since I started using my Rebel XTi, Apple Aperture failes to recognize
the new 10.1 megapixel .CR2 files from that camera - it still
recognizes the old Rebel XT's 8.0MP .CR2 files, but not the new ones.
Aperture shows a thumbnail of it when it opens the Import window, but
I'm ass/u/ming that that image is being generated by the Finder (Finder
still shows a thumbnail of the new files just fine in the file dialogs
and Finder windows), but when it imports the file, it comes up as a
blank image with "Unsupported Image Format" - filesize is correct, all
the EXIF/IPTC info is there, with the exception that image metadata
shows 0 x 0 pixel size for the image (should be 3888 x 2592), and 1:1
Aspect Ratio (Should be 3:2, of course).

Anyone else experience this, and/or anyone heard if Apple's working on
addressing the problem? I've come to rely on Aperture for so much,
this is really a pain.

nospam

In article <240920061542360377%(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Lucke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Since I started using my Rebel XTi, Apple Aperture failes to recognize
> the new 10.1 megapixel .CR2 files from that camera - it still
> recognizes the old Rebel XT's 8.0MP .CR2 files, but not the new ones.
> Aperture shows a thumbnail of it when it opens the Import window, but
> I'm ass/u/ming that that image is being generated by the Finder (Finder
> still shows a thumbnail of the new files just fine in the file dialogs
> and Finder windows), but when it imports the file, it comes up as a
> blank image with "Unsupported Image Format" - filesize is correct, all
> the EXIF/IPTC info is there, with the exception that image metadata
> shows 0 x 0 pixel size for the image (should be 3888 x 2592), and 1:1
> Aspect Ratio (Should be 3:2, of course).
>
> Anyone else experience this, and/or anyone heard if Apple's working on
> addressing the problem? I've come to rely on Aperture for so much,
> this is really a pain.

the rebel xti just started shipping a few weeks ago. there is always a
delay from when a new camera comes out until software starts to support
it.

also, apple has an announcement scheduled for tomorrow (9/25/06), and
it appears that it will include an update to aperture:

<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/14/photokina/index.php>
<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7898-8553>