Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sandisk Extreme Firewire CF card reader

Sandisk Extreme Firewire CF card reader

Bill Hilton

Is anyone using this new card reader yet? If so, are you actually
getting 40 MB/sec downloads on PC laptops?

Do you see these speeds only with the Extreme IV cards? What kind of
download speeds do you see with other cards like say the Extreme and
Ultra II and III SanDisks and with any Lexars you might have?

I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
see a review please post the URL.

Bill

Bill Hilton

Bill Hilton wrote:
> Is anyone using this new card reader yet? If so, are you actually
> getting 40 MB/sec downloads on PC laptops?
>
> Do you see these speeds only with the Extreme IV cards? What kind of
> download speeds do you see with other cards like say the Extreme and
> Ultra II and III SanDisks and with any Lexars you might have?
>
> I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
> rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
> now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
> hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
> see a review please post the URL.
>
> Bill

BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop and
I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm traveling
that I need the fastest downloads ... also he only tested the Extreme
IV cards and I'd like to see it for earlier cards as well if anyone has
tested for this ... with his PC he was seeing about 28 MB/sec instead
of 40 MB/sec and I'm sure it's slower on a laptop ...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7896-8475

Bill

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Bill Hilton wrote:

> BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
> almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
> and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
> traveling that I need the fastest downloads

Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.

Rita

Daniel Silevitch

On 23 Sep 2006 16:55:14 -0700, Bill Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bill Hilton wrote:
>> Is anyone using this new card reader yet? If so, are you actually
>> getting 40 MB/sec downloads on PC laptops?
>>
>> Do you see these speeds only with the Extreme IV cards? What kind of
>> download speeds do you see with other cards like say the Extreme and
>> Ultra II and III SanDisks and with any Lexars you might have?
>>
>> I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
>> rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
>> now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
>> hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
>> see a review please post the URL.
>>
>> Bill

> BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
> almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop and
> I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm traveling
> that I need the fastest downloads ... also he only tested the Extreme
> IV cards and I'd like to see it for earlier cards as well if anyone has
> tested for this ... with his PC he was seeing about 28 MB/sec instead
> of 40 MB/sec and I'm sure it's slower on a laptop ...
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7896-8475

Read the article again. He tests with a PC laptop, of sorts. There are
numbers quoted for a MacBook Pro, running Windows XP. There was a
noticeable drop in throughput when switching from OSX to XP SP2; whether
that's Apple's fault for providing crappy Windows drivers for the
built-in Firewire port or Microsoft's fault for some bottleneck in XP is
open to question. Under OSX, spooling to a file server, transfer rates
are listed as 37 MB/s; the same setup under XP 29 MB/s.

The table didn't say, but I would assume that the Mac was booted into
Windows via the Boot Camp utility, rather than running some sort of
virtualization software.

-dms

ASAAR

On 23 Sep 2006 16:43:43 -0700, Bill Hilton wrote:

> I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
> rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
> now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
> hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
> see a review please post the URL.

This was posted here about 6 weeks ago. It has several pages, and
from what I recall, compared read and write speeds from several
manufacturer's cards in the Firewire reader. Sandisk also has a
slightly slower USB 2.0 High Speed version of the reader. Right now
my browser is only able to access the first page of the review, but
IIRC, the highest measured throughput wasn't 40MB/sec., more like
something in the 20's using the Extreme IV card. But the Extreme
Firewire card reader also transferred data noticeable faster than
another USB 2.0 card reader that it was compared with.

> Another winner from SanDisk if you can justify it. The card reader on its
> own will also accelerate slower high speed cards according to our tests.
>
> The review is at:
>
> http://dpnow.com/2879.html
>
> Ian
>
> Digital Photography Now
> http://dpnow.com

Bill Crocker

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>
>> BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
>> almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
>> and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
>> traveling that I need the fastest downloads

> Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
> slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
> maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
> cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.
>
> Rita

Come on Rita! Doesn't anyone need an excuse to go make a cup of coffee
anymore?

Bill Crocker

Dave Cohen

Bill Crocker wrote:
> "Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>
>>> BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
>>> almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
>>> and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
>>> traveling that I need the fastest downloads

>> Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
>> slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
>> maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
>> cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.
>>
>> Rita
>>

> Come on Rita! Doesn't anyone need an excuse to go make a cup of coffee
> anymore?
>
> Bill Crocker

Probably not, but running 15 cards at once sounds great.
Dave Cohen

Dave Cohen wrote:

>>> Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind
>>> numbingly slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320
>>> SCSI or FC for maximum speed and reliability. This way you can
>>> transfer up to fifteen CF cards simultaneously without any loss of
>>> performance. Rita

>> Come on Rita! Doesn't anyone need an excuse to go make a cup of
>> coffee anymore?
>>

> Probably not, but running 15 cards at once sounds great.

The problem is firewire and USB2 were a disaster when they were on the
drawing board. They were never meant to be used with the modern hardware we
use today. It was great when the only thing you had to plug into it was a
PCMCIA reader or a slow printer. This was great for the average consumer,
but when you needed more speed and reliability you had to use a SCSI PCMCIA
reader and for printing you were forced to used a network-attached printer.
This is why you read about people suffering so much with these external
USB2/firewire HDs.

Personally, I would love to see all dSLRs come standard equipped with 40GB
of high speed NVRAM and a gigabit or fiber port. This would open up so many
doors to people that like to shoot tethered. USB2 is killing the dSLR
market.

Rita

John Turco

Bill Hilton wrote:

> Is anyone using this new card reader yet? If so, are you actually
> getting 40 MB/sec downloads on PC laptops?
>
> Do you see these speeds only with the Extreme IV cards? What kind of
> download speeds do you see with other cards like say the Extreme and
> Ultra II and III SanDisks and with any Lexars you might have?
>
> I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
> rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
> now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
> hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
> see a review please post the URL.
>
> Bill

Hello, Bill:

Sam's Club <http://www.samsclub.com> has a Sratitec "USB 2.0 25-in-1
card reader" (model USB2CR25), with "enhanced speed technology," for
only $14.23. It's supposed to be "up to 14x faster than USB 1.1 card
readers" and nearly twice as fast as a "first generation USB 2.0 card
reader."

I've bought a couple of them, this year, but still haven't even opened
their packages. My old Stratitec USB2CR7 (USB 2.0, 7-in-1) is good
enough, for now. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

> Bill Hilton wrote:
>
> > BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
> > almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
> > and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
> > traveling that I need the fastest downloads

> Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
> slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
> maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
> cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.
>
> Rita

Hello, Rita:

Honestly, your SCSI chauvinism knows no bounds! <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>