Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheap L-brackets?

Reply
Thread Tools

Cheap L-brackets?

 
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
On 22 Sep 2006 22:06:21 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not as much worried about the camera sliding around on the
> slippery surface, as the bracket itself simply not being rigid enough
> to stop the whole assembly from vibrating. Think of a cheap flimsy
> tripod, vs. a solid one that weighs a lot more.


Hmm. I've got several flash brackets, and if the arm of any were
locked in a vise, you could mount a camera on the bracket, tap it,
and it wouldn't move a bit. True, they're not the cheapest
brackets, but I don't recall seeing any cheap ones that were
significantly flimsier. I'm not trying to convince you to go the
do-it-yourself route though. Time spent building several of these
gizmos would take time that could be better spent taking pictures.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Try a Wimberly sidekick.
> http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm
>
> (not cheap, $250, but you can use it for telephoto work too.)


Arggh! That's even more expensive than the RRS bracket! And its main
point seems to be that it's an adjustable gimbal. I just want to
mount the camera at 90 degrees, no adjustment needed. I don't even
need to be able to switch between 90 degrees and regular horizontal--
I can remove the bracket for that.

Thanks though.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Hmm. I've got several flash brackets, and if the arm of any were
> locked in a vise, you could mount a camera on the bracket, tap it,
> and it wouldn't move a bit.


Well, maybe the one I have is unusually cheesy.

> True, they're not the cheapest brackets, but I don't recall seeing
> any cheap ones that were significantly flimsier. I'm not trying to
> convince you to go the do-it-yourself route though. Time spent
> building several of these gizmos would take time that could be
> better spent taking pictures.


Nospam's furniture bracket idea sounds worth looking into. I'll check
at the hardware store.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J. Littleboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
> various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
> camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
> the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
> have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
> They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
> need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
> they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
> Rorslett's would be great.


The RRS generic bracket (a mere US$105, still a painful ouch, but at least
it's cheaper than the dedicated once) works on a variety of cameras (I've
used mine on a Mamiya 7 and a 5D), but you'll need a ARCA-Swiss style clamp
on your tripod head....

Since you need multiple brackets, I realize it's not an option. But FWIW...

It only works on cameras that have 25mm or less clearance between the
mounting screw hole and the rearmost part of the camera base, i.e. it's
designed for a generic 35mm camera base, and won't work on a square based
camera like a Rolleiflex TLR or Hassleblad.

David J. Littleboy
Not much help in
Tokyo, Japan



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The RRS generic bracket (a mere US$105, still a painful ouch, but at least
> it's cheaper than the dedicated once) works on a variety of cameras (I've
> used mine on a Mamiya 7 and a 5D), but you'll need a ARCA-Swiss style clamp
> on your tripod head....
>
> Since you need multiple brackets, I realize it's not an option. But FWIW...


Well, that's worth knowing about. Initially I'd need two of them, so
the cost is not totally insane, but I might want a second setup later
(4 brackets total). I won't need dozens of them or anything like that.

The tripod head situation is another matter and I'll have to think
about it.

> It only works on cameras that have 25mm or less clearance between the
> mounting screw hole and the rearmost part of the camera base, i.e. it's
> designed for a generic 35mm camera base, and won't work on a square based
> camera like a Rolleiflex TLR or Hassleblad.


This shouldn't be a problem given my current limitations. Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For various reasons I want to mount a camera "sideways", i.e. I want
> do do the equivalent of taking a vertical picture with the camera on a
> tripod, while keeping the tripod head horizontal.
>
> The obvious way to do that is with an L-bracket that screws into the
> camera's tripod socket, wraps around to the side of the camera, and
> has its own tripod hole on that side. Bjorn Rorslett uses homemade
> ones:
>
> http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
>
> However, he doesn't sell those.
>
> Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
> various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
> camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
> the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
> have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
> They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
> need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
> they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
> Rorslett's would be great.
>
> Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
> the RRS brackets?


Novoflex makes two different ones. Very rigid and maintain 90? in both
planes (not an easy thing to do yourself or cheaply).

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

You can see one at:

http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm

>
> Novoflex makes two different ones. Very rigid and maintain 90? in both
> planes (not an easy thing to do yourself or cheaply).


--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm
> >
> > Novoflex makes two different ones. Very rigid and maintain 90? in both
> > planes (not an easy thing to do yourself or cheaply).


I see one there called MC-VERTIKAL which costs 79 euros and again
seems to have some kind of proprietary quick release plate meaning it
wants to be attached to some specific tripod head. Really, this is
much too fancy. I basically just want a hunk of angle iron with some
holes drilled appropriately. Something like what Bjorn Rorslett made.
Yes, I can do that myself, and will probably end up doing so. I was
just hoping to not have to bother.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm
> > >
> > > Novoflex makes two different ones. Very rigid and maintain 90? in both
> > > planes (not an easy thing to do yourself or cheaply).

>
> I see one there called MC-VERTIKAL which costs 79 euros and again
> seems to have some kind of proprietary quick release plate meaning it
> wants to be attached to some specific tripod head. Really, this is
> much too fancy. I basically just want a hunk of angle iron with some
> holes drilled appropriately. Something like what Bjorn Rorslett made.
> Yes, I can do that myself, and will probably end up doing so. I was
> just hoping to not have to bother.


You just unscrew the quick release screws.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> costs 79 euros


That would be the price in Europe. In the USA the price would be what
your camera store charges.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap lights, cheap setup.. systmster Digital Photography 8 03-14-2006 07:38 PM
Cheap gear for my mods RObErT_RaTh Case Modding 21 09-23-2005 03:47 AM
Amazon sells exam vouchers cheap Helper Microsoft Certification 2 07-11-2004 08:41 PM
Cheap CPU, RAM. PIV2.8E only US$200!!! Sales Microsoft Certification 0 03-07-2004 03:35 AM
Re: LEARNKEY MCSE 2K CD SET 4 Sale (CHEAP!!!!) xyz2869 Microsoft Certification 0 12-08-2003 05:00 PM



Advertisments