Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheap L-brackets?

Cheap L-brackets?

Paul Rubin

For various reasons I want to mount a camera "sideways", i.e. I want
do do the equivalent of taking a vertical picture with the camera on a
tripod, while keeping the tripod head horizontal.

The obvious way to do that is with an L-bracket that screws into the
camera's tripod socket, wraps around to the side of the camera, and
has its own tripod hole on that side. Bjorn Rorslett uses homemade
ones:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

However, he doesn't sell those.

Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
Rorslett's would be great.

Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
the RRS brackets?

Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The obvious way to do that is with an L-bracket that screws into the
> camera's tripod socket, wraps around to the side of the camera, and
> has its own tripod hole on that side. Bjorn Rorslett uses homemade
> ones:
> http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Correct url (without enclosing frame):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/l_bracket.html

ASAAR

On 22 Sep 2006 19:26:33 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
> various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
> camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
> the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
> have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
> They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
> need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
> they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
> Rorslett's would be great.
>
> Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
> the RRS brackets?

How about really cheap flash brackets? The camera would mount on
the bracket in the usual way. Leave most of the arm that would
normally raise the flash above the camera, and saw off the flash
shoe along with extra angles, if there are any. Drill a suitable
hole in what's left of the former arm to accommodate the tripod's
screw, and secure it with a matching nut. It would be better if you
can find a knurled knob for the job, but you could make one with a
nut, some epoxy and other scraps if the bracket has to be repeatedly
attached and removed from the tripod.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
> the RRS brackets?

for the least expensive, go to a hardware store and get a 3 or 4" steel
shelf bracket, which should cost a couple of bucks. attach it to the
camera with a 1/4-20 screw and then mount that on the tripod. you'll
probably need a rubber washer so the camera doesn't twist.

for something a little more elegant, there is the bogen elbow bracket,
which b&h has for $58.50:

<http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=2487>

Paul Rubin

ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> How about really cheap flash brackets? The camera would mount on
> the bracket in the usual way. Leave most of the arm that would
> normally raise the flash above the camera, and saw off the flash
> shoe along with extra angles, if there are any. Drill a suitable
> hole in what's left of the former arm to accommodate the tripod's
> screw, and secure it with a matching nut.

Interesting idea, but doesn't sound anywhere near rigid enough. Flash
brackets only have to keep the flash pointed in the general direction
of the camera, but can otherwise flop around in the breeze. The L
bracket setup is intended to keep the camera rock solid through long
exposures.

Paul Rubin

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> for the least expensive, go to a hardware store and get a 3 or 4" steel
> shelf bracket, which should cost a couple of bucks. attach it to the
> camera with a 1/4-20 screw and then mount that on the tripod. you'll
> probably need a rubber washer so the camera doesn't twist.

Hmm, I'll check into this. The shelf brackets I'm used to aren't
shaped the right way, so maybe there's something.

> for something a little more elegant, there is the bogen elbow bracket,
> which b&h has for $58.50:
>
> <http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=2487>

This looks promising too, thanks! Although, that hexagonal mounting
plate looks intended just for certain Bogen quick release tripod
heads. Any idea what the screw thingie on the left just underneath
the camera is?

ASAAR

On 22 Sep 2006 20:57:18 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> How about really cheap flash brackets? The camera would mount on
>> the bracket in the usual way. Leave most of the arm that would
>> normally raise the flash above the camera, and saw off the flash
>> shoe along with extra angles, if there are any. Drill a suitable
>> hole in what's left of the former arm to accommodate the tripod's
>> screw, and secure it with a matching nut.

> Interesting idea, but doesn't sound anywhere near rigid enough. Flash
> brackets only have to keep the flash pointed in the general direction
> of the camera, but can otherwise flop around in the breeze. The L
> bracket setup is intended to keep the camera rock solid through long
> exposures.

Yeah, I know how some really cheap metal brackets can allow the
camera to rotate. Cork pads too, if they're old, hard and have a
glazed surface. Smearing the bracket near where the camera would
mount with some silicone compound (camera mounted long after it
cures, of course) should keep the camera from moving for days, if
need be. Or gasket material, or gasket-in-a-tube. It would help if
you could enlist the services of the kid that was taking machine
shop courses while you were spending time in the darkroom with
Dinah. Oh, wait, that was in the kitchen.

Paul Rubin

ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Yeah, I know how some really cheap metal brackets can allow the
> camera to rotate. Cork pads too, if they're old, hard and have a
> glazed surface. Smearing the bracket near where the camera would
> mount with some silicone compound (camera mounted long after it
> cures, of course) should keep the camera from moving for days, if
> need be.

I'm not as much worried about the camera sliding around on the
slippery surface, as the bracket itself simply not being rigid enough
to stop the whole assembly from vibrating. Think of a cheap flimsy
tripod, vs. a solid one that weighs a lot more.

<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > for the least expensive, go to a hardware store and get a 3 or 4" steel
> > shelf bracket, which should cost a couple of bucks. attach it to the
> > camera with a 1/4-20 screw and then mount that on the tripod. you'll
> > probably need a rubber washer so the camera doesn't twist.

> Hmm, I'll check into this. The shelf brackets I'm used to aren't
> shaped the right way, so maybe there's something.

the one i got was just a piece of steel bent at 90 degrees with a few
holes on each leg. nothing fancy, and actually rather thick steel.

> > for something a little more elegant, there is the bogen elbow bracket,
> > which b&h has for $58.50:
> >
> > <http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=2487>

> This looks promising too, thanks! Although, that hexagonal mounting
> plate looks intended just for certain Bogen quick release tripod
> heads.

i'm not sure about their picture - the plate on the vertical part is a
rectangular 3157 style and the one on the bottom is the hexagonal one.
it makes no sense whatsoever to have two different and incompatible
types on the same bracket. i've never seen one in real life so maybe
there's a rectangular plate hiding under there...

if you don't already have a bogen q/r system, you'd need one of those
too (about $30 for the rectangular adapter&plate). then you could very
quickly flip the camera from vertical to horizontal on the tripod.

they also make a larger bracket with hex q/r plates on both:
<http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=348>

> Any idea what the screw thingie on the left just underneath
> the camera is?

no idea. the larger version appears to lack the screw.

Paul Rubin wrote:

> For various reasons I want to mount a camera "sideways", i.e. I want
> do do the equivalent of taking a vertical picture with the camera on a
> tripod, while keeping the tripod head horizontal.
>
> The obvious way to do that is with an L-bracket that screws into the
> camera's tripod socket, wraps around to the side of the camera, and
> has its own tripod hole on that side. Bjorn Rorslett uses homemade
> ones:
>
> http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
>
> However, he doesn't sell those.
>
> Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
> various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
> camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
> the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
> have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
> They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
> need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
> they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
> Rorslett's would be great.
>
> Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
> the RRS brackets?

Try a Wimberly sidekick.
http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm

(not cheap, $250, but you can use it for telephoto work too.)

Roger