Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Hp large format printers

Reply
Thread Tools

New Hp large format printers

 
 
Wayne J. Cosshall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2006
Hi All,

I've placed on DIMi at:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=683>
a short piece on what can be said about the new HP printers and the
launch arrangements at Photokina. For those going to Photokina it is
definitely worth having a look at these printers. I'll be posting full
info as soon as the embargo is lifted.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
of Design
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2006
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've placed on DIMi at:
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=683>
> a short piece on what can be said about the new HP printers and the
> launch arrangements at Photokina. For those going to Photokina it is
> definitely worth having a look at these printers. I'll be posting full
> info as soon as the embargo is lifted.
>

There have been plenty of leaks from HP lately
You could download a PDF brochure on the new printers from HP Europe for
a day or two before they woke up.
The new printers are the Z2100 and Z3100
24 inch or 44 inch carriage width.
8 colour vivera pigment inkset (like B9180) or a 12 colour vivera
pigment inkset (include gloss enhancer, a grey, green and blue)
They have integrated spectrophotometer for building custom ICC profiles
- as well as closed loop calibration system like the B9180.
69 and 130 ml cartridges.
HP made US $4.5 billion from selling ink and toner last year.


Epson have also sent out emails about the release of new pro printers at
Photokina. That is rumoured to be "3800" model.

All sounds good, but neither Epson nor HP are going to want to see ink
profits fall. The B9180 ink cost per page (based on HP's own claimed
coverage figures) - and despite claims made by many HP shills now paid
to post in various forums - is even higher than Epson's a3+ printers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wayne J. Cosshall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
frederick wrote:

> There have been plenty of leaks from HP lately
> You could download a PDF brochure on the new printers from HP Europe for
> a day or two before they woke up.
> The new printers are the Z2100 and Z3100
> 24 inch or 44 inch carriage width.
> 8 colour vivera pigment inkset (like B9180) or a 12 colour vivera
> pigment inkset (include gloss enhancer, a grey, green and blue)
> They have integrated spectrophotometer for building custom ICC profiles
> - as well as closed loop calibration system like the B9180.
> 69 and 130 ml cartridges.
> HP made US $4.5 billion from selling ink and toner last year.
>
>
> Epson have also sent out emails about the release of new pro printers at
> Photokina. That is rumoured to be "3800" model.
>
> All sounds good, but neither Epson nor HP are going to want to see ink
> profits fall. The B9180 ink cost per page (based on HP's own claimed
> coverage figures) - and despite claims made by many HP shills now paid
> to post in various forums - is even higher than Epson's a3+ printers.

Hi Frederick,

Yes, Epson are also releasing there but since with them everything is
covered by an NDA I could not say anything about that. HP's stuff is
also covered by an NDA, so whilst there may have been leaks from suposed
insiders, I've said all I can until Sept. 26.

I don't know if you are including me in the 'HP shills', whatever that
term means, but I certainly have not been paid to make this post or any
other, by HP or anyone else. From what I know of my colleagues in the
press, all those of us that know will be under a similar constraint. We
tend to take NDAs (non-disclosure agreements) very seriously because
apart from the possibility of legal issues you are likely to be cut out
of the loop in future, something no professional journalist wants to
happen. Leaks usually come from company or PR company employees or (more
often) from outside suppliers, distributors or others either with some
knowledge or those who think they do.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
> frederick wrote:
>
>> There have been plenty of leaks from HP lately
>> You could download a PDF brochure on the new printers from HP Europe
>> for a day or two before they woke up.
>> The new printers are the Z2100 and Z3100
>> 24 inch or 44 inch carriage width.
>> 8 colour vivera pigment inkset (like B9180) or a 12 colour vivera
>> pigment inkset (include gloss enhancer, a grey, green and blue)
>> They have integrated spectrophotometer for building custom ICC
>> profiles - as well as closed loop calibration system like the B9180.
>> 69 and 130 ml cartridges.
>> HP made US $4.5 billion from selling ink and toner last year.
>>
>>
>> Epson have also sent out emails about the release of new pro printers
>> at Photokina. That is rumoured to be "3800" model.
>>
>> All sounds good, but neither Epson nor HP are going to want to see ink
>> profits fall. The B9180 ink cost per page (based on HP's own claimed
>> coverage figures) - and despite claims made by many HP shills now paid
>> to post in various forums - is even higher than Epson's a3+ printers.

> Hi Frederick,
>
> Yes, Epson are also releasing there but since with them everything is
> covered by an NDA I could not say anything about that. HP's stuff is
> also covered by an NDA, so whilst there may have been leaks from suposed
> insiders, I've said all I can until Sept. 26.
>
> I don't know if you are including me in the 'HP shills', whatever that
> term means, but I certainly have not been paid to make this post or any
> other, by HP or anyone else. From what I know of my colleagues in the
> press, all those of us that know will be under a similar constraint. We
> tend to take NDAs (non-disclosure agreements) very seriously because
> apart from the possibility of legal issues you are likely to be cut out
> of the loop in future, something no professional journalist wants to
> happen. Leaks usually come from company or PR company employees or (more
> often) from outside suppliers, distributors or others either with some
> knowledge or those who think they do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne


Sorry - I wasn't accusing you of being a shill.
The recent HP shills are generally professional photographers. I would
assume that as they appear to be successful in their businesses, then
the payments from HP must be substantial.

Beware also of so-called "independent" expert consultants used by HP to
prepare and distribute "test data" which directly compares HP to other
product, including survey results as well as test bench data. Spencer
Labs of NY was one such "independent consultant". Their website used to
explain quite clearly that their objectives were to design and conduct
tests and market surveys to show the (clients) product in the most
favourable light. It appeared from their public records that their only
client was HP. They have since (probably due to some negative
publicity) changed their site. A well regarded (by some) and widely
circulated UK magazine was taken in when they published results for
tests of HP products vs some products from other manufacturers. They
admitted (they probably didn't realise the consequences)in the article
that they had conferred with Spencer Lab on test methodology. There is
enough $$ involved to make facts elusive.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne J. Cosshall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2006
frederick wrote:

>
> Sorry - I wasn't accusing you of being a shill.
> The recent HP shills are generally professional photographers. I would
> assume that as they appear to be successful in their businesses, then
> the payments from HP must be substantial.
>
> Beware also of so-called "independent" expert consultants used by HP to
> prepare and distribute "test data" which directly compares HP to other
> product, including survey results as well as test bench data. Spencer
> Labs of NY was one such "independent consultant". Their website used to
> explain quite clearly that their objectives were to design and conduct
> tests and market surveys to show the (clients) product in the most
> favourable light. It appeared from their public records that their only
> client was HP. They have since (probably due to some negative
> publicity) changed their site. A well regarded (by some) and widely
> circulated UK magazine was taken in when they published results for
> tests of HP products vs some products from other manufacturers. They
> admitted (they probably didn't realise the consequences)in the article
> that they had conferred with Spencer Lab on test methodology. There is
> enough $$ involved to make facts elusive.
>
>
>
>


No probs.

Everyone has to be careful with test results. If I publish someone
else's test results I put XYZ Claims or label it a Press Release if
that's how it came. Otherwise I have interviewed Henry Wilhelm, who
seems a genuine guy but he does consult with the companies and gets paid
for the testing and I do have some concerns over his test methods. Note
others, such as my friend Mark Gottsegen, are working on a new,
international and open test standard.

For myself I have always preferred to publish my own test results,
whenever possible, like I do for digital cameras. I am putting in the
gear to allow me to do better printer testing too.

Cheers,

Wayne
--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Large Format Printers Any Opinions? pmettes@gmail.com Digital Photography 1 04-24-2007 12:43 PM
HP announce new Z large format printers Wayne J. Cosshall Digital Photography 3 10-01-2006 11:33 AM
Large format printers rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu Digital Photography 13 07-21-2005 07:35 PM
Epsons, the only *photo* large format printers on the markettoday? nobody Digital Photography 20 03-27-2005 10:21 PM
Large Format Printers remove the ~ to reply Digital Photography 12 07-28-2003 06:05 PM



Advertisments