Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How much can I zoom?

How much can I zoom?

keskew@comcast.net

Thanks to everyone who responded, especially Randy Berbaum and Dave
Martindale. You guys confirmed the conclusion I came to last night
after continuing to work on this. I also did some experimentation.
While it is true that the picture begins to "pixellate" after 100%,
the images are still viewable (at least for my purposes) up to 200%.
In some cases the pictures were viewable up to 250%. I believe this is
because for the camera I was using, (Cannon Power Shot S2 IS - 5
megapixel) at the highest settings it produced 8.3" X 11.7"
pictures at approximately 220 ppi. That allows the picture to be
enlarged to 200%, or greater, and be viewable, though certainly not
photo quality. Thanks again.

John McWilliams

> Thanks to everyone who responded, especially Randy Berbaum and Dave
> Martindale. You guys confirmed the conclusion I came to last night
> after continuing to work on this. I also did some experimentation.
> While it is true that the picture begins to "pixellate" after 100%,
> the images are still viewable (at least for my purposes) up to 200%.
> In some cases the pictures were viewable up to 250%. I believe this is
> because for the camera I was using, (Cannon Power Shot S2 IS - 5
> megapixel) at the highest settings it produced 8.3" X 11.7"
> pictures at approximately 220 ppi. That allows the picture to be
> enlarged to 200%, or greater, and be viewable, though certainly not
> photo quality. Thanks again.

I think you'd also find, if your monitor were large enough, and you
could get far enough away from it, that many low ppi counts would look
fine. Same with printing; bill boards seem to be printed with inches per
dot, not dots per inch! Although I exaggerate, a well done bill board
looks great from the right distance.

--
john mcwilliams

dmaster

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded, especially Randy Berbaum and Dave
> Martindale. You guys confirmed the conclusion I came to last night
> after continuing to work on this. I also did some experimentation.
> While it is true that the picture begins to "pixellate" after 100%,
> the images are still viewable (at least for my purposes) up to 200%.
> In some cases the pictures were viewable up to 250%. I believe this is

So far so good. Yes the pictures are going to be "viewable", meaning
recognizable to some arbitrary magnification. But, that does not mean
you are seeing anything new! Once your eyes can see the individual
pixels...there is nothing more to see. Sure, zooming with make the
original
pixels bigger, but there is no more information to see.

> because for the camera I was using, (Cannon Power Shot S2 IS - 5
> megapixel) at the highest settings it produced 8.3" X 11.7"
> pictures at approximately 220 ppi. That allows the picture to be
> enlarged to 200%, or greater, and be viewable, though certainly not
> photo quality. Thanks again.

Ick. You've run off the rails. The "ppi" of the file the camera
produces
has absolutely nothing to do with your application. Heck, if you would
sit twice as far from the monitor, you'd magically be able to zoom
twice
as much, and the image would still be viewable! But as I said above,
this is pointless. Once you can distinguish every piece of information
(pixels) nothing more can be gained.

Ah... That may be what is misleading you... depending on your eyes
and distance from the monitor, you may need to zoom well beyond
100% to see every pixel.

Dan (Woj...)