Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Long life!

Long life!

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
life.

All I want is a reasonably good digital camera with a long battery
life.

Any recommendations?

Steve

http://www.easynn.com

jeremy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
> because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
> digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
> replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
> the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
> life.
>
> All I want is a reasonably good digital camera with a long battery
> life.
>
> Any recommendations?

DSLR. Much more like film SLRs in terms of no/low shutter lag and long
battery life.

Rudy Benner

"jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:73gQg.28$Kh.1@trnddc05...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
>> because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
>> digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
>> replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
>> the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
>> life.
>>
>> All I want is a reasonably good digital camera with a long battery
>> life.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>

> DSLR. Much more like film SLRs in terms of no/low shutter lag and long
> battery life.

I can go for several days, hundreds of shots with one battery on my Nikon
D-50.
Shutter lag is insignificant and its instant on.

Bill Funk

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:33:53 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
>because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
>digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
>replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
>the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
>life.
>
>All I want is a reasonably good digital camera with a long battery
>life.
>
>Any recommendations?
>
>Steve

I don't know what you mean by "pathetically short battery charge life"
(25 shots? 200 shots?), but most currently marketed digital cameras
are much more efficient when it comes to battery life than the cameras
of just a few years ago.
If you could give us some sort if idea of what you want to use the
camera for, we could be much more helpfull.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:49:39 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "jeremy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
>> because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
>> digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
>> replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
>> the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
>> life.

Let me guess you didn't use the camera much, but every time you picked it
up a month apart the batteries were exhausted?
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:36:35 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Ed Ruf (REPLY to
E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:49:39 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "jeremy"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
>>> because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
>>> digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
>>> replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
>>> the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
>>> life.

>Let me guess you didn't use the camera much, but every time you picked it
>up a month apart the batteries were exhausted?

Oops, replied jeremy's reply instead of the OPs' post. Sorry about the
attributions....
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:36:35 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:49:39 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "jeremy"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
>>> because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
>>> digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
>>> replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
>>> the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
>>> life.

>Let me guess you didn't use the camera much, but every time you picked it
>up a month apart the batteries were exhausted?

Not really. Every time it was going to be needed I put the batteries
on charge the day before.

Steve

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:16:38 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:33:53 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
>>because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
>>digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
>>replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
>>the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
>>life.
>>
>>All I want is a reasonably good digital camera with a long battery
>>life.
>>
>>Any recommendations?
>>
>>Steve

>I don't know what you mean by "pathetically short battery charge life"
>(25 shots? 200 shots?), but most currently marketed digital cameras
>are much more efficient when it comes to battery life than the cameras
>of just a few years ago.

5 to 10 shots.

Steve

BD

> 5 to 10 shots.
>
> Steve

If the camera had some kind of 'Auto' mode, and you walked around with
the lens cap off on your shoots, that may account for some of the
battery exhaustion. Auto mode will continually engage the
auto-focusing motors, and drain the batteries in no time.

My Coolpix 4500 does that.

Just something to keep in mind.

Bill Funk

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:49:23 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:16:38 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:33:53 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I have had a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for years but have not used it much
>>>because of its pathetically short battery charge life. It put me off
>>>digital photography but I have decided to try again. First move is to
>>>replace the Coolpix 2100. Most modern cameras are at least as good as
>>>the Coolpix 2100 for all features and they must have better battery
>>>life.
>>>
>>>All I want is a reasonably good digital camera with a long battery
>>>life.
>>>
>>>Any recommendations?
>>>
>>>Steve

>>I don't know what you mean by "pathetically short battery charge life"
>>(25 shots? 200 shots?), but most currently marketed digital cameras
>>are much more efficient when it comes to battery life than the cameras
>>of just a few years ago.

>5 to 10 shots.
>
>Steve

That's not a characteristic of the camera.
It could be bad batteries, or it could be user error (was the camera
left on with auto focus on?). Or even a defective camera.
But the rest still goes.
What are you intending to do wit the camera? Travel, portraits,
advertising shots?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"