Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Resolution

Resolution

Hebee Jeebes

Yes, the extra resolution also gives you more details in the images. Only a
fool would do what you said. You always shoot with the most resolution
possible you never know when you will need it. If your not going to do than
then why bother with a digital camera.

"Rod Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Dan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This may sound like a stupid question:
>>
>> If I only plan on viewing my photos on my computer desktop (1600x1200),
>> does it do any good at all to take pictures at any resolution higher
>> than 1600x1200? If not, my 7.1mp camera may as well be a 2.0mp..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>

> Today that may be all you want to do but down the road you might have that
> perfect picture that you want printed at 8X10 or even larger. Then you
> will kick yourself for shooting at a lower resolution.

Bates

John Turco wrote:
> Bates wrote:
> >
> > Dan wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > This may sound like a stupid question:
> > >
> > > If I only plan on viewing my photos on my computer desktop (1600x1200),
> > > does it do any good at all to take pictures at any resolution higher
> > > than 1600x1200? If not, my 7.1mp camera may as well be a 2.0mp..
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dan

> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > The main advantage that I can think of would be that you cannot be
> > certain that the composition of the photo that you shoot will be
> > exactly what you want. As such, you may wish to crop your images to
> > focus in on a smaller area of the original picture while maintaining
> > enough resolution to view it full screen. So in that case, a high res
> > image would still be of use.
> >
> > I see your point - if on screen viewing is all you are ever going to
> > use the pictures for - you may not need to shoot at higher res, but I
> > would be seriously tempted to still shoot at full resolution because a)
> > you may change your mind down the road or b) you may get an even higher
> > resolution monitor one day.
> >
> > Bates....

> Hello, Bates:
>
> Along similar lines, higher resolution gives you more to work with,
> later. You can always resize (or resample), if you want a smaller (in
> dimension) image, but it isn't viable, in reverse...you can't make a
> little picture, much bigger. (Not without severe pixelation, that is.)
>
> As huge hard drives are so relatively inexpensive, nowadays, there's
> plenty of storage space for larger digital files. Thus, it's smart
> to grab as many digicam megapixels as possible, and also to use loftier
> DPI rates, when scanning.
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John,

I totally agree. In addition, in most cases, viewing software will
simply scale even the large images down to "best-fit" the monitor and
with a relatively fast computer and video card, there is pretty much no
time lag to do so anyhow. The only time I ever downsample the image is
to post it to a website or email it.

Bates....