Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picassa question

Picassa question

bluezfolk

I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

Eric

Morton Linder

bluezfolk wrote:

> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
>
> Eric

No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..

Morton

Hebee Jeebes

Picasa shows you a very low resolution preview until it can load the whole
image in. The blurry picture you see will clear up in a couple of seconds.
It is most likely because of the larger camera files.

Don't ask me where the other guy got the idea about sharpening. It is clear
he hasn't used Picasa.

"bluezfolk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
>
> Eric

Barry L. Wallis

bluezfolk wrote:
> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
calculations to display it optimally.

--
- Barry

Roy G

"Barry L. Wallis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> bluezfolk wrote:
>> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
>> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
>> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
>> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
>> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

> Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
> calculations to display it optimally.
>
> --
> - Barry

Hi.

An image file from a 5Mp Camera can hardly be described as large.

Open in RAM it will only be 15 Mb, even if it is opened as 16 bit per
channel, it would still only be 30 Mb.

100 Mb files are beginning to be large.

Roy G

POHB

Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
> calculations to display it optimally.

If it is taking an irritatingly long time then you've probably got an
old, slow PC. Or it is running a lot of other stuff at the same time.

Bill KB3GUN

"POHB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>> Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
>> calculations to display it optimally.

> If it is taking an irritatingly long time then you've probably got an
> old, slow PC. Or it is running a lot of other stuff at the same time.

Or Picassa is not a very efficient program at opening large images (it's not
by the way). I use it to look for photos on my pc, but if I already know
where they are, I use other programs to view.

-=Rob

Morton Linder schreef:
> bluezfolk wrote:
>
>> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
>> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
>> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
>> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
>> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
> one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
> avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..
>
> Morton

Picasa doesn't sharpen anything by default THANK GOD !!
Where did you get this info from ????????

It is the larger file why you see the label "Refining" in the photo.
After a few seconds the whole file is read and PICASA let you see the
complete picture at the sharpness in which the picture is taken.
Nothing more, nothing less.

-=Rob

Hebee Jeebes

True but we don't know how much ram or what kind of system the person is
running. The refining message is because his system is handling the files
slower. Plain and simple.

"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cY7Qg.24380$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Barry L. Wallis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> bluezfolk wrote:
>>> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
>>> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
>>> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
>>> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
>>> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

>> Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
>> calculations to display it optimally.
>>
>> --
>> - Barry

> Hi.
>
> An image file from a 5Mp Camera can hardly be described as large.
>
> Open in RAM it will only be 15 Mb, even if it is opened as 16 bit per
> channel, it would still only be 30 Mb.
>
> 100 Mb files are beginning to be large.
>
> Roy G

Mike Henley

Morton Linder wrote:
> bluezfolk wrote:
>
> > I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
> > I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
> > program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
> > its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
> > eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
> >
> > Eric
> >

> No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
> one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
> avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..
>
> Morton

The autocolor feature in Picassa is extremely, extremely good. I've not
found anything that gives me as pleasing results.

Picassa question Peter in New Zealand Digital Photography 5 12-23-2007 02:55 AM
Problem with Picassa theview1@verizon.net Digital Photography 5 01-17-2007 10:46 AM
Convert iphoto libraries to picassa Guy Noir Digital Photography 0 11-17-2006 08:08 PM
Picassa ? Al Dykes Digital Photography 5 02-21-2006 11:35 PM
Picassa to ?? Larry Digital Photography 5 01-19-2006 03:34 PM

Advertisments