Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picassa question

Picassa question

Paul J Gans

Roy G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Barry L. Wallis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> bluezfolk wrote:
>>> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
>>> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
>>> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
>>> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
>>> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

>> Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
>> calculations to display it optimally.
>>
>> --
>> - Barry

>Hi.

>An image file from a 5Mp Camera can hardly be described as large.

>Open in RAM it will only be 15 Mb, even if it is opened as 16 bit per
>channel, it would still only be 30 Mb.

>100 Mb files are beginning to be large.

Doesn't matter. Barry is right. I have no idea how
Picassa decides which images are "large", but it does.
It first displays a low res image and then refines it.

This is common behavior in photo programs so that the
user does not have to stare at a blank screen while the
picture loads.

---- Paul J. Gans

POHB

Bill KB3GUN wrote:
> Or Picassa is not a very efficient program at opening large images (it's not
> by the way). I use it to look for photos on my pc, but if I already know
> where they are, I use other programs to view.

I find it pretty quick compared to others I've tried. What do you use
that's quicker?

JC Dill

Picassa has been removed from my computer after I discovered that
there is no way to save an edited file over the original. I'm working
with third-generation copies (the originals are RAW, then there are
the jpeg proofs - I'm using a resized thumbnail set from the proofs)
and I need to edit and save with the same filename in the same
location. They think they are smarter than the user - that the user
never will need to save over the original, so they refuse to put an
option to do this in the settings. Well, that's stupid, that's a dumb
UI, that's Google arrogance at its worst. Bye Picassa.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

Matt Ion

Mike Henley wrote:
> Morton Linder wrote:
>
>>bluezfolk wrote:
>>

>>> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
>>>I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
>>>program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
>>>its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
>>>eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>

>>No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
>>one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
>>avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..
>>
>>Morton

> The autocolor feature in Picassa is extremely, extremely good. I've not
> found anything that gives me as pleasing results.

I'll second that. It brought amazing detail out of a photo I shot from a plane
once, more than I thought even possible.

Picassa question Peter in New Zealand Digital Photography 5 12-23-2007 02:55 AM
Problem with Picassa theview1@verizon.net Digital Photography 5 01-17-2007 10:46 AM
Convert iphoto libraries to picassa Guy Noir Digital Photography 0 11-17-2006 08:08 PM
Picassa ? Al Dykes Digital Photography 5 02-21-2006 11:35 PM
Picassa to ?? Larry Digital Photography 5 01-19-2006 03:34 PM

Advertisments