Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Full frame rocks

Full frame rocks

Paul Rubin

Doug McDonald <mcdonald@SnPoAM_scs.uiuc.edu> writes:
> I just got the lowly 30D. With the provided lens it is not "wow",

Which lens?

Clive

Uh, I have just shown you that it is useable.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

lubecki@hotmail.com

Scott W wrote:

> > Well, film grain is somehow different than digital noise. Grain looks
> > much cooler, especially in black and white. Digital noise looks just
> > artificial and too uniform.

> But the point is that a print from the 30D shooting at ISO 400 there
> will be no noise visible. If you look at the pixel level you can see a
> very small amount of noise but not much. If someone objects to this
> very small amount of noise then they are the kind of person that film
> gain would drive nuts.
>
> Scott

Yeah, that may be true. I haven't printed out any of the pictures, just
looked at them magnified on the camera's LCD. But still, comparing
side-by-side pictures shot at the same ISO on the 5D and the 30D shows
how much better the 5D is.

-Gniewko

Mark˛

Annika1980 wrote:
> Mark˛ (lowest even number here) wrote:
>> I am continually amazed at images viewed at 100% from my 5D.
>> Images from just about any other digital seem to "degrade" as you
>> approach 100%, but on the 5D...it just gets better and better...and
>> often actually BEST at 100. Real pop and amazing detail.

>> I find myself literally saying "Wow" out loud while looking at my
>> images...as soon as I switch to 100%.
>> Skin tones are incredible, too.

> Any samples you'd care to post or send me?

OK.
I'm not talking about masterpiece images (I rarely produce those...).
What I AM talking about is how the detail is just amazing. -Even in
snapshots/people pictures.
So long as you focus, and use decent lenses, it's really something.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Kinon O'cann

Brett,

Granted, this shot is not an artistic success, or even interesting, but it
does illustrate the amount of detail you can capture with the 5D and a good
lens:

http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/gauges.jpg

This is a 2.5M file. Shot at ISO 400 RAW, processed using ACR, and some very
light sharpening (25% Smart Sharpen) applied. No other adjustments. Lemme
know what you think.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
Mark˛ (lowest even number here) wrote:
> I am continually amazed at images viewed at 100% from my 5D.
> Images from just about any other digital seem to "degrade" as you approach
> 100%, but on the 5D...it just gets better and better...and often actually
> BEST at 100. Real pop and amazing detail.

> I find myself literally saying "Wow" out loud while looking at my
> images...as soon as I switch to 100%.
> Skin tones are incredible, too.

Any samples you'd care to post or send me?

˝ Confused

On 18 Sep 2006 08:30:32 -0700
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This weekend I used a Canon 5D for the first time.
> it looks like I'll have to save up a bunch more cash...

I like mine, even more so now that I have a 24-105mm f4L IS lens to
replace the 24-70 lens. <g>

Jeff

Annika1980

Kinon O'cann wrote:
> http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/gauges.jpg
>
> This is a 2.5M file. Shot at ISO 400 RAW, processed using ACR, and some very
> light sharpening (25% Smart Sharpen) applied. No other adjustments. Lemme
> know what you think.

I think you need some new socks.

Pete D

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Scott W wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> >
>> > Well, film grain is somehow different than digital noise. Grain looks
>> > much cooler, especially in black and white. Digital noise looks just
>> > artificial and too uniform.

>> But the point is that a print from the 30D shooting at ISO 400 there
>> will be no noise visible. If you look at the pixel level you can see a
>> very small amount of noise but not much. If someone objects to this
>> very small amount of noise then they are the kind of person that film
>> gain would drive nuts.
>>
>> Scott

> Yeah, that may be true. I haven't printed out any of the pictures, just
> looked at them magnified on the camera's LCD. But still, comparing
> side-by-side pictures shot at the same ISO on the 5D and the 30D shows
> how much better the 5D is.
>
> -Gniewko

HAHA you must have very well calibrated eyes to tell all this from the
cameras LCD, well done.

Pete D

"Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> Scott W wrote:
>> Mark˛ (lowest even number here) wrote:
>> > I am continually amazed at images viewed at 100% from my 5D.
>>> Images from just about any other digital seem to "degrade" as you
>>> approach 100%, but on the 5D...it just gets better and better...and
>>> often actually BEST at 100. Real pop and amazing detail.

>> If the image is really sharp at the pixel level then when viewing with
>> just about any software 100% will look the sharpest, viewing software
>> does not normally do a good job of resizing going for speed more then
>> quaility.

> I agree with that. Often true. But...most images from lesser capture
> devices tend to "fall apart" a bit when viewed at 100%. The 5D, coupled
> with high quality optics (like L lenses) and proper focus is about as good
> as it gets with 35mm gear.
>
>> That the 5D looks best at 100% does speak well for it.

> Ya.
>

> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

So you are saying that your $4,000 camera setup is taking better shots that
my $1,000 setup, well I would never have thought that possible, go figure,
WOW.

Kinon O'cann

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Kinon O'cann wrote:
>> http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/gauges.jpg
>>
>> This is a 2.5M file. Shot at ISO 400 RAW, processed using ACR, and some
>> very
>> light sharpening (25% Smart Sharpen) applied. No other adjustments. Lemme
>> know what you think.

> I think you need some new socks.

Nah, they're still fine for biking. And the money I save in socks allows me
to buy more glass. But thanks for confirming that you can see all the
detail.

Achtung: SIPGATE Rocks !!!! peter UK VOIP 25 10-03-2005 06:51 AM
This is totally FREE and it ROCKS! Paul King ASP .Net 0 09-24-2005 11:21 PM
NetMeter rocks! Thanks fred Computer Support 2 02-25-2005 01:04 AM
Perl Rocks!!!! Steve Bennett Perl 0 08-27-2004 06:51 AM
Cool Java Program : JPhotoBrush Pro rocks!!!! Irshian Java 5 09-30-2003 02:19 PM

Advertisments