Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Full frame rocks

Full frame rocks

lubecki@hotmail.com

This weekend I used a Canon 5D for the first time. I was helping a
friend of mine shoot a wedding, and we were using a 5D and a 30D. I
guess the 30D is also considered a semi-pro camera, but man, what a
difference between the two. Even with the same lenses, the 5D is so
much nicer. The 5D with an 85mm f/1.8 lens is just amazing for
portraits.

And of course the biggest difference is in low-light performance. The
30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400, but the 5D gets useable pictures
all the way up to ISO 1600. I'm starting to look at DSLRs to buy, and I
was thinking I might be happy with a cropped sensor camera. But after
playing around with the 5D it looks like I'll have to save up a bunch
more cash...

-Gniewko

Scott W

> This weekend I used a Canon 5D for the first time. I was helping a
> friend of mine shoot a wedding, and we were using a 5D and a 30D. I
> guess the 30D is also considered a semi-pro camera, but man, what a
> difference between the two. Even with the same lenses, the 5D is so
> much nicer. The 5D with an 85mm f/1.8 lens is just amazing for
> portraits.
>
> And of course the biggest difference is in low-light performance. The
> 30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400, but the 5D gets useable pictures
> all the way up to ISO 1600. I'm starting to look at DSLRs to buy, and I
> was thinking I might be happy with a cropped sensor camera. But after
> playing around with the 5D it looks like I'll have to save up a bunch
> more cash...

Or wait a while. 3 years ago the 1Ds was selling for $8000, from what
I have seen the 5D at under $3000 produces better images. What will we
have three years from now?

When I bought a second DSLR body I thought about the 5D, but it was
more money then I was willing to spend, so I got a cheap 350D, we now
have a 20D and 350D. In a few years I will pick up a FF camrea but I
am hoping the price will be down to around $1800 buy the time I do and
have a resolution of closer to 16 MP.

Scott

Kinon O'Cann

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This weekend I used a Canon 5D for the first time. I was helping a
> friend of mine shoot a wedding, and we were using a 5D and a 30D. I
> guess the 30D is also considered a semi-pro camera, but man, what a
> difference between the two. Even with the same lenses, the 5D is so
> much nicer. The 5D with an 85mm f/1.8 lens is just amazing for
> portraits.
>
> And of course the biggest difference is in low-light performance. The
> 30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400, but the 5D gets useable pictures
> all the way up to ISO 1600. I'm starting to look at DSLRs to buy, and I
> was thinking I might be happy with a cropped sensor camera. But after
> playing around with the 5D it looks like I'll have to save up a bunch
> more cash...

Now you know why someone like me who grew up with the 35mm frame size has
such trouble making the switch to one of those damned sub-frame models. I
had a 20D, and while it's a nice cam, once I tried the 5D it was over. Same
viewfinder size, same angles of view, same depth of field as the "old days."

> -Gniewko

Clive

It's a personal decision, but I personally will stick with the 20/30D at the
moment. I am very happy with these bodies and they way surpass what I need
them for.

As for ISO, although not as good as the 5D for noise, the 20/30D is still
useable at ISO 1600, unless you need to print big or crop significantly. Of
course, you can see noise, but not as bad as some people make out, even at
100%. Possibly this can be reduced even more during post production,
however I haven't looked into it.

It is rare I use ISO 1600 (only shot about 5 photos at 1600 ever), but this
is one of those photos, which I took a couple of years ago using a normal
consumer lens (in hindsight I would have used ISO 800 anyway). So that I
don't change anything in any way, this is exactly as shot. There was no RAW
adjustments during converting, no cropping, saturation, sharpening, etc, The
only adjustments I have done is to resize the RAW image to 512 X 768,
convert from 16bit to 8bit and convert to jpeg.

For my use, shooting at 1600 is not ideal, but still useable on 20/30D.

http://i9.tinypic.com/2wegvwl.jpg

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This weekend I used a Canon 5D for the first time. I was helping a
> friend of mine shoot a wedding, and we were using a 5D and a 30D. I
> guess the 30D is also considered a semi-pro camera, but man, what a
> difference between the two. Even with the same lenses, the 5D is so
> much nicer. The 5D with an 85mm f/1.8 lens is just amazing for
> portraits.
>
> And of course the biggest difference is in low-light performance. The
> 30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400, but the 5D gets useable pictures
> all the way up to ISO 1600. I'm starting to look at DSLRs to buy, and I
> was thinking I might be happy with a cropped sensor camera. But after
> playing around with the 5D it looks like I'll have to save up a bunch
> more cash...
>
> -Gniewko

Clive

Me too. However, I see more disadvantages to the 5D over the cropped bodies
for my shooting needs. Each to their own.

"Kinon O'Cann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gPAPg.3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Now you know why someone like me who grew up with the 35mm frame size has
> such trouble making the switch to one of those damned sub-frame models. I
> had a 20D, and while it's a nice cam, once I tried the 5D it was over.
> Same viewfinder size, same angles of view, same depth of field as the "old
> days."
>

>> -Gniewko

wilt

<<Now you know why someone like me who grew up with the 35mm frame size
has
such trouble making the switch to one of those damned sub-frame models.
had a 20D, and while it's a nice cam, once I tried the 5D it was over.
Same
viewfinder size, same angles of view, same depth of field as the "old
days." >>

And even THAT sucks in comparison to Olympus OM-1 viewfinder's size at
0.92x (vs. 0.72x for the 5D)!

wilt

Clive wrote:
> For my use, shooting at 1600 is not ideal, but still useable on 20/30D.

ISO1600 on a 20/30D is not merely useable, but with postprocessing with
noise reduction software it is darned good!

JohnR66

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This weekend I used a Canon 5D for the first time. I was helping a
> friend of mine shoot a wedding, and we were using a 5D and a 30D. I
> guess the 30D is also considered a semi-pro camera, but man, what a
> difference between the two. Even with the same lenses, the 5D is so
> much nicer. The 5D with an 85mm f/1.8 lens is just amazing for
> portraits.
>
> And of course the biggest difference is in low-light performance. The
> 30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400, but the 5D gets useable pictures
> all the way up to ISO 1600. I'm starting to look at DSLRs to buy, and I
> was thinking I might be happy with a cropped sensor camera. But after
> playing around with the 5D it looks like I'll have to save up a bunch
> more cash...
>
> -Gniewko

"30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400"

You must have hated film!

Kinon O'cann

I shot with an OM2 for a while, but actually lost the damned thing along
with two lenses! Absolutely wonderful camera, though.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

lubecki@hotmail.com

JohnR66 wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > This weekend I used a Canon 5D for the first time. I was helping a
> > friend of mine shoot a wedding, and we were using a 5D and a 30D. I
> > guess the 30D is also considered a semi-pro camera, but man, what a
> > difference between the two. Even with the same lenses, the 5D is so
> > much nicer. The 5D with an 85mm f/1.8 lens is just amazing for
> > portraits.
> >
> > And of course the biggest difference is in low-light performance. The
> > 30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400, but the 5D gets useable pictures
> > all the way up to ISO 1600. I'm starting to look at DSLRs to buy, and I
> > was thinking I might be happy with a cropped sensor camera. But after
> > playing around with the 5D it looks like I'll have to save up a bunch
> > more cash...
> >
> > -Gniewko
> >

> "30D gets noticeably noisy by ISO 400"
>
> You must have hated film!

Well, film grain is somehow different than digital noise. Grain looks
much cooler, especially in black and white. Digital noise looks just
artificial and too uniform.

-Gniewko

Achtung: SIPGATE Rocks !!!! peter UK VOIP 25 10-03-2005 06:51 AM
This is totally FREE and it ROCKS! Paul King ASP .Net 0 09-24-2005 11:21 PM
NetMeter rocks! Thanks fred Computer Support 2 02-25-2005 01:04 AM
Perl Rocks!!!! Steve Bennett Perl 0 08-27-2004 06:51 AM
Cool Java Program : JPhotoBrush Pro rocks!!!! Irshian Java 5 09-30-2003 02:19 PM

Advertisments