Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital photos on a mac: iPhoto or Preview?

Reply
Thread Tools

Digital photos on a mac: iPhoto or Preview?

 
 
Newbie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
missing.

So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
digital pictures?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
brian.b.mcguinness@lmco.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006

Newbie wrote:
> I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
> have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
> each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
> say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
> missing.
>
> So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
> digital pictures?


I use iPhoto to import my pictures from my camera and view them. I see
a set of thumbnails of the pictures I have imported so far, and can
expand any of them to view them in more detail. I can also export
pictures to email from iPhoto, adjusting the size in the process.

You might give it a try; if you don't like it then you can stop using
it.

--- Brian

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
> have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
> each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
> say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
> missing.
>
> So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
> digital pictures?


For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them.

BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
(or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
change the default image viewer app.

BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
Mail: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc
Skype: echo 139576319600233690471689738P|dc
 
Reply With Quote
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
Jon wrote:
> Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
>> have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
>> each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
>> say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
>> missing.
>>
>> So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
>> digital pictures?

>
> For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
> folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
> them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
> learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
> not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
> to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
> can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them.
>
> BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
> (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
> little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
> change the default image viewer app.
>
> BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
> manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
> images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
> and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.


Yes to all the above. But if you think you're into photography for the
long haul, you might be wise to buy a copy of Photoshop Elements, use
Image Capture to download into folders, and then view and modify them in
Elements. If you get seriously into it down the road, you'll want to
upgrade to the full Photoshop. Both Elements and the full version are
available for trials of 30 days.

--
John McWilliams
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sn!pe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jon wrote:
> > Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
> >> have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
> >> each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
> >> say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
> >> missing.
> >>
> >> So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
> >> digital pictures?

> >
> > For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
> > folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
> > them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
> > learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
> > not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
> > to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
> > can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them.
> >
> > BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
> > (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
> > little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
> > change the default image viewer app.
> >
> > BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
> > manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
> > images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
> > and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.

>
> Yes to all the above. But if you think you're into photography for the
> long haul, you might be wise to buy a copy of Photoshop Elements, use
> Image Capture to download into folders, and then view and modify them in
> Elements. If you get seriously into it down the road, you'll want to
> upgrade to the full Photoshop. Both Elements and the full version are
> available for trials of 30 days.


The Gimp is good if you don't mind using X11, and it's free.
<http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/>

--
^^
 
Reply With Quote
 
Newbie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
Jon:
> > For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
> > folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
> > them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
> > learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
> > not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
> > to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
> > can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them.
> >
> > BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
> > (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
> > little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
> > change the default image viewer app.
> >
> > BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
> > manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
> > images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
> > and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.


John McWilliams:
> Yes to all the above. But if you think you're into photography for the
> long haul, you might be wise to buy a copy of Photoshop Elements, use
> Image Capture to download into folders, and then view and modify them in
> Elements. If you get seriously into it down the road, you'll want to
> upgrade to the full Photoshop. Both Elements and the full version are
> available for trials of 30 days.


I am so new at this that at present I am not sure if I would want to
get serious enough to buy Photoshop etc. It is nt exaclt cheap, so let
that evolve naturally. What I want as a beginner right now is to get
into good habits.

What I have been doing is, connect the camera to the computer, a folder
appears and I copy its contents. I select them all, double-click, and
they appear in Preview. I can choose a slide show if wish. (I do have
to organize the folders myself, but so far it is not a big burden, and
I like to rename/regroup them thematically anyway.)

What I am curious about is, would it be a better habit to start using
either iPhoto or Image Capture as suggested above? (I checked IC and it
offers to crop or fit every picture to a certain size; is that a good
idea?)

One last question: My photos are slightly under 1MB. Would it be a good
idea to reduc etheir size somewhat before emailing? If so, by how much,
and which (free) app does one use?
 
Reply With Quote
 
JamesStep@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
If all you want to do is view a few photos, Preview is fine.

iPhoto is used to organize your photos, and to do some basic
adjustments to color, brightness, cropping, size etc. It's pretty easy
to use and is extremely helpful for keeping your photos organized.

Regarding photos you're going to email, most folks would be very
annoyed to get huge, 1 MB photos by email. It's simply not necessary to
send a file that big, unless they are going to print them and want the
highest-possible quality file.

If you open a photo in iPhoto, then select File > Export, you can tell
iPhoto to export the photo as a JPEG with a size of, say, 800 x 600,
and you'll end up with a file that's maybe 200k (give or take) and it
will be perfectly good for viewing onscreen.

James

 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
In article <180920061140506692%(E-Mail Removed)>, Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> hat I have been doing is, connect the camera to the computer, a
> folder appears and I copy its contents. I select them all,
> double-click, and they appear in Preview. I can choose a slide show
> if wish. (I do have to organize the folders myself, but so far it is
> not a big burden, and I like to rename/regroup them thematically
> anyway.)
>
> What I am curious about is, would it be a better habit to start using
> either iPhoto or Image Capture as suggested above? (I checked IC and
> it offers to crop or fit every picture to a certain size; is that a
> good idea?)


If you're going to copy all the pictures to the computer; the select-all
and drag method is just fine. If you want to import just some of them,
then use image capture or iPhoto to preview them, and import those that
you want. Use Image Capture for that if you don't want to use iPhoto to
edit or organize them.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One last question: My photos are slightly under 1MB. Would it be a good
> idea to reduc etheir size somewhat before emailing? If so, by how much,
> and which (free) app does one use?


Yes, definitely.
And that's one of the things iPhoto is brilliant at!
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
Mail: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc
Skype: echo 139576319600233690471689738P|dc
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Regarding photos you're going to email, most folks would be very
> annoyed to get huge, 1 MB photos by email. It's simply not necessary to
> send a file that big, unless they are going to print them and want the
> highest-possible quality file.
>
> If you open a photo in iPhoto,

<snip>

Much easier to select the photo(s) you want to mail in iPhoto, then
click its "Mail" button and select the pic size in the drop-down menu
(it also tells you the total for all the pix you are mailing so you can
adjust). After that, the images appear ready to go in a Mail message.
Just add adddress and text, and off it goes.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
Mail: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc
Skype: echo 139576319600233690471689738P|dc
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
photo buddy and iphoto lost all photos and have black cirlce with explainition point Tom Digital Photography 0 11-05-2007 09:48 AM
I have come across a problem, Iphoto - large amounts of photos - tiffs vs. jpegs - photoshop Bedroomdj2005 Digital Photography 6 08-12-2004 04:33 PM
<input id="iPhoto" type="file" size="20" runat="server"> Mark Sandfox ASP .Net 1 05-11-2004 01:58 AM
Mac iPhoto Library copy problem Bill Smith Digital Photography 3 09-15-2003 05:59 PM
iPhoto red eye removal algorithm Matti Haveri Digital Photography 0 08-08-2003 03:30 PM



Advertisments