Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Flying with camera - Heathrow to US

Flying with camera - Heathrow to US

Basiltoo

Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.

TIA

--
Regards,
Baz

NoSpam

On 17-Sep-2006, Basiltoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
> Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.
>
> TIA

It's OK now provided you carry medium sized handluggage.
Go to the BAA website/Heathrow and follow the security link for full details

jav

About 2 weeks ago my wife and I flew from Heathrow to the US. I had to go
through
the typical screening at the entrance to the gate area(take off shoes for
XRay, metal
detector, checking of my prescription medication label against my passport).
When
we got to the actual gate, another individual checked our boarding pass
against our
passports and then directed us to two tables in front of the gate door.
There I had to
empty out my carryon bag which contained a Canon G6 digital camera, iPod
Nano and
Motorola Razr phone. I had to activate each of the items to demonstrate they
actually
worked as designed.

Don't bring anything liquid or gel in carryon, not even a ChapStick.

"Basiltoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
> Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Regards,
> Baz

Basiltoo

"NoSpam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 17-Sep-2006, Basiltoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage
>> from Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.
>>
>> TIA

> It's OK now provided you carry medium sized handluggage.
> Go to the BAA website/Heathrow and follow the security link for full
> details

Many thanks for responding. Very helpful.

--
Regards,
Baz

Andy Blanchard

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:34:38 GMT, "NoSpam" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 17-Sep-2006, Basiltoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
>> Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.
>>
>> TIA

>It's OK now provided you carry medium sized handluggage.
>Go to the BAA website/Heathrow and follow the security link for full details

Better yet, wait a few days and check again, especially if you are
thinking about buying a bag for the purpose since few current bags are
that slim. The media in the UK were recently reporting that carry-on
baggage sizes might be relaxed again following a meeting on Monday,
with a probable implementation date of 23rd September.

Andy

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"jav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> About 2 weeks ago my wife and I flew from Heathrow to the US. I had to go
> through
> the typical screening at the entrance to the gate area(take off shoes for
> XRay, metal
> detector, checking of my prescription medication label against my passport).
> When
> we got to the actual gate, another individual checked our boarding pass
> against our
> passports and then directed us to two tables in front of the gate door.
> There I had to
> empty out my carryon bag which contained a Canon G6 digital camera, iPod
> Nano and
> Motorola Razr phone. I had to activate each of the items to demonstrate they
> actually
> worked as designed.
>
> Don't bring anything liquid or gel in carryon, not even a ChapStick.
>
> "Basiltoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
> > Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.

Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.

danmcclure@hotmail.com

He sure will figure something out, in the meantime let's be positive
and do good to everyone around us. If we all did, much of this nonsense
would start losing its momentum.

Dan

Enjoy some free artwork: http://freevisualart.blogspot.com

Stewy wrote:

> Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
> nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.

poddys

I flew Heathrow to Miami last week - no problems.

They checked my Canon A620, I had to power it on for them.
Minor inspection of the rest of the case and they didn't ask me to
power on my MP3 player.

If carrying a larger amount of camera gear, be aware of the size
restrictions on hand baggage. The new size allowed is pretty small -
actually smaller going to USA than outbound so beware.

I took a smaller bag on the way out, but seeing as a lot of people had
larger bags, I used my regular carry-on bag on the way back (had been
packed empty in my checked luggage on way out). They did check this at
check-in for size and it was supposed to fit in a miniscule wooden box.
It would fit if I squashed it, and since it's not a hard sided bag I
can always do that, but watch out if you have an oversize hard bag.

You may be able to get away with telling them you are going to put the
bag under your seat. Worth a try if they get stroppy...

Good luck.........

Brian

On 18 Sep 2006 05:35:56 -0700, "poddys" <(E-Mail Removed)> mentioned:
<snip>

>You may be able to get away with telling them you are going to put the
>bag under your seat. Worth a try if they get stroppy...

Oh no it's not! The size restriction is because of what the security
people are prepared to monitor, not what the airline is prepared to
carry. Just hope today's meeting is positive, the airlines want
bigger carry on bags, the airport authority doesn't. Early this year,
well before the last episode the airport authority changed what they
were prepared to monitor and restricted carry on bags without
reference to the airlines. It's cheaper to bugger about the customers
than buy more equipment and employ more staff.

poddys

Brian wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2006 05:35:56 -0700, "poddys" <(E-Mail Removed)> mentioned:
> <snip>
> >
> >You may be able to get away with telling them you are going to put the
> >bag under your seat. Worth a try if they get stroppy...
> >

> Oh no it's not! The size restriction is because of what the security
> people are prepared to monitor, not what the airline is prepared to
> carry. Just hope today's meeting is positive, the airlines want
> bigger carry on bags, the airport authority doesn't. Early this year,
> well before the last episode the airport authority changed what they
> were prepared to monitor and restricted carry on bags without
> reference to the airlines. It's cheaper to bugger about the customers
> than buy more equipment and employ more staff.

Point taken Brian.
Having done a lot of travel within the USA in the past year and seen
more and more flights take off 100% full, and at the same time more
people trying to get away with ridiculously large carry-ons that ought
to be stowed in the hold, it's actually nice to see some restriction on
the amount of carry-on baggage, however the current limit from the UK
is too restrictive for those who need to carry a notebook as well as a
camera. Neither ought to travel in the hold, and many of us need to
take both of these on the trip with us, so they do need to relax the
limits to allow for this. After all women are usually allowed to carry
a handbag in addition........... or used to be.......

Flying Links Help Stargazer HTML 3 01-01-2006 08:07 PM
Drive C icon: "flying windows type" Ace Hung Computer Support 1 04-01-2005 08:38 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT - WebSphere User Group (UK) - 22nd Feb 2005 at IBM Bedfont Lakes (near London Heathrow) junk1@davidbevan.co.uk Java 0 02-07-2005 10:39 AM
Flying Cow Game ICee Computer Support 6 05-02-2004 03:48 AM
Flying with digital camera? John A. Stovall Digital Photography 13 09-08-2003 01:36 PM

Advertisments