Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CS2 rectangular marquee tool question

CS2 rectangular marquee tool question

kombi45@yahoo.com

After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
CS2, the image automatically "slips" or moves, apparently trying to
center itself. IOW, when I put the marquee at the top corner of the
image and start the crop, the image automatically slips down, and I
have to make two or three more crops to get it where I want it. I'm
looking for the preset that controls the marquee, or that will stop it
from doing that. I never had this issue in PS7. How do you change the
setting to stop it from doing that?

Rutger

<(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
> CS2,

Wrong group. F'up set.

Rutger

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
> CS2, the image automatically "slips" or moves, apparently trying to
> center itself. IOW, when I put the marquee at the top corner of the
> image and start the crop, the image automatically slips down, and I
> have to make two or three more crops to get it where I want it. I'm
> looking for the preset that controls the marquee, or that will stop it
> from doing that. I never had this issue in PS7. How do you change the
> setting to stop it from doing that?

Hi.

I don't know the answer, because I always use the Crop Tool to make crops.
It works just fine.

Roy G

MarkČ

> After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
> CS2, the image automatically "slips" or moves, apparently trying to
> center itself. IOW, when I put the marquee at the top corner of the
> image and start the crop, the image automatically slips down, and I
> have to make two or three more crops to get it where I want it. I'm
> looking for the preset that controls the marquee, or that will stop it
> from doing that. I never had this issue in PS7. How do you change
> the setting to stop it from doing that?

That's weird... but you'll likely be happier using the crop tool anyway
(button just below the lasso tool). You can make multiple adjustments after
drawing your first box, and set aspect ratios easily. In addition, you'll
get a better idea of the final image because the crop tool darkens the
cropped portions to an opacity level you specify (prior to actually
cropping) --which visually isolates your new image so you can judge it
better.
"Try it...you like it..."

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
> CS2, the image automatically "slips" or moves, apparently trying to
> center itself. IOW, when I put the marquee at the top corner of the
> image and start the crop, the image automatically slips down, and I
> have to make two or three more crops to get it where I want it. I'm
> looking for the preset that controls the marquee, or that will stop it
> from doing that. I never had this issue in PS7. How do you change the
> setting to stop it from doing that?

Try posting your question on the comp.graphics.apps.photoshop group.

Annika1980

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
> CS2, the image automatically "slips" or moves, apparently trying to
> center itself. IOW, when I put the marquee at the top corner of the
> image and start the crop, the image automatically slips down, and I
> have to make two or three more crops to get it where I want it. I'm
> looking for the preset that controls the marquee, or that will stop it
> from doing that. I never had this issue in PS7. How do you change the
> setting to stop it from doing that?

Possible problems:
You could be slightly moving your mouse as you release the button.
Is the Feather selection set on 0?
As you probably know, you can set the Style for the Marquee to either a
Fixed Aspect Ratio or a Fixed Size. This is helpful when you know the
intended aspect ratio of the final result.

kombi45@yahoo.com

Annika1980 wrote:

> > After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
> > CS2, the image automatically "slips" or moves, apparently trying to
> > center itself. IOW, when I put the marquee at the top corner of the
> > image and start the crop, the image automatically slips down, and I
> > have to make two or three more crops to get it where I want it. I'm
> > looking for the preset that controls the marquee, or that will stop it
> > from doing that. I never had this issue in PS7. How do you change the
> > setting to stop it from doing that?

> Possible problems:
> You could be slightly moving your mouse as you release the button.
> Is the Feather selection set on 0?
> As you probably know, you can set the Style for the Marquee to either a
> Fixed Aspect Ratio or a Fixed Size. This is helpful when you know the
> intended aspect ratio of the final result.

Not a moving the mouse issue, as I have no problems in PS7. The
feather selection is set to zero, and I've toggled the aspect ratios,
as well. ARRRRGGGGGH!

Dave

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Annika1980 wrote:
>
>>> After I make my selection when I use the rectangular marquee tool in
>>> CS2, the image automatically "slips" or moves, apparently trying to
>>> center itself. IOW, when I put the marquee at the top corner of the
>>> image and start the crop, the image automatically slips down, and I
>>> have to make two or three more crops to get it where I want it. I'm
>>> looking for the preset that controls the marquee, or that will stop it
>>> from doing that. I never had this issue in PS7. How do you change the
>>> setting to stop it from doing that?

>> Possible problems:
>> You could be slightly moving your mouse as you release the button.
>> Is the Feather selection set on 0?
>> As you probably know, you can set the Style for the Marquee to either a
>> Fixed Aspect Ratio or a Fixed Size. This is helpful when you know the
>> intended aspect ratio of the final result.

> Not a moving the mouse issue, as I have no problems in PS7. The
> feather selection is set to zero, and I've toggled the aspect ratios,
> as well. ARRRRGGGGGH!

Just to be clear, you are saying that the image is "slipping" rather
than the selected area "slipping" Correct??

If so, is the image larger than your screen size? If so, zoom out a bit
and see if that solves your problem.

Kind of a shot in the dark here. I use CS not CS2 so maybe it's
something unique to CS2.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Dave